Apollo vs True Temper

ball striker

Reaction score
know I'm probably splitting hairs here but I want to get into club building and have an age old question about the quality of a steel iron shaft...namely the aforementioned Apollo and True Temper brands. In your honest, unbiased opinion is there any noticeable difference between your standard, regular flex, run of the mill Appolo steel shaft r flex vs True Temper r flex steel shafts. I have played both in the past and they have both performed well in stock offerings from various OEMs. Is there a difference in quality and or performance in your opinions? I noticed at bulk on ebay they are about the same price with the Appolo slightly more expensive but not by much. What say you??? Thanks in advance

I have never even heard of Apollo shafts i have always used TT or KBS

Never heard or seen Apollo either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apollo did the hump shafts Cobra used for a long time and I think Furyk still uses them.

Apollo did the hump shafts Cobra used for a long time and I think Furyk still uses them.
I think he switched to KBS a few years ago

The original Apollo that made quality shafts hasn't existed in over a decade. True Temper bought the company, bringing on their R&D group and equipment, but not the brands. The brands were purchased by a Chinese company (not FEMCO who owns KBS) and they currently market shafts under the Apollo brand. The Tour players that used the Hump shafts until recently (Vijay and Furyk) were both using personal stock from the original company.

So basically TT and Apollo are made by the same Chinese company? Probably the same shafts then. I thought Apollo shafts were still made in Great Britain. For you guys that haven't heard of Apollo steel shafts I'm guessing you haven't been around the game for that long. It's like a basketball fan saying he's never heard of Michael Jordan.

So basically TT and Apollo are made by the same Chinese company? Probably the same shafts then. I thought Apollo shafts were still made in Great Britain. For you guys that haven't heard of Apollo steel shafts I'm guessing you haven't been around the game for that long. It's like a basketball fan saying he's never heard of Michael Jordan.

I thought TT shafts were made in the USA. At least a lot of the aftermarket shafts.

Well I think the Apollo Shadow shafts kick ass. So whoever is making them I hope they keep it up.

Are any OEM iron manufactures using Apollo shafts in their irons? I've been playing since the 1970's and have only seen a few Apollo graphite shafts, and only a couple sets of irons with Apollo shafts. If I were building clubs I would pick a name that is better recognized such as True Temper. I switched to KBS a couple years ago after playing Dynamic Golds my whole life and absolutely love the KBS Tours.

Are any OEM iron manufactures using Apollo shafts in their irons? I've been playing since the 1970's and have only seen a few Apollo graphite shafts, and only a couple sets of irons with Apollo shafts. If I were building clubs I would pick a name that is better recognized such as True Temper. I switched to KBS a couple years ago after playing Dynamic Golds my whole life and absolutely love the KBS Tours.

I believe the stock shaft in my irons are the Apollo Spectre lite, and they are steel.

Many, many OEMs have Apollo steel in their stock iron offerings. Apollo is well known but more so internationally as they are the company that originally patented the steel shaft in the UK way back when. They are more popular than True Temper but they also are a little more expensive than True Temper.

I believe Cleveland Golf uses Apollo shafts in all their steel irons unless you customize.

Many, many OEMs have Apollo steel in their stock iron offerings. Apollo is well known but more so internationally as they are the company that originally patented the steel shaft in the UK way back when. They are more popular than True Temper but they also are a little more expensive than True Temper.

They are much much cheaper than true temper here. Apollo is certainly a budget brand at this point.

They are much much cheaper than true temper here. Apollo is certainly a budget brand at this point.
It depends on which steel shaft you're looking at but on average the Apollos run a little more, again not by much. Both are made by the same company now apparently but internationally the Apollos are still the ticket. In Europe, South Africa and Australia at least. Not sure about the Asian market. The Apollo 95s aren't cheap for a steel offering. I'm comparing from their websites not anything on the bay in which case you don't know what you're getting. Could be a knockoff with a fake sticker and you'll never know the difference until your shaft snaps in half.

I'm not sure where you are seeing that, but on hireko golf has a good selection of both. Apollo runs between 2-11 per shaft. TT ranges between 7-35.

Im not saying they are bad, but they are certainly not expensive.

You sure about that?
I know they did in the past but with all of the customizable options I'm not sure anymore. The aculite and shadow line are top notch quality steel shafts. Pretty sure Furyk still has Apollos on his irons. It's splitting hairs they are soo similar.

I know they did in the past but with all of the customizable options I'm not sure anymore. The aculite and shadow line are top notch quality steel shafts. Pretty sure Furyk still has Apollos on his irons. It's splitting hairs they are soo similar.

Yeah, you might want to check your source again for their current info.
And last I checked, Furyk was playing KBS

Only time I've seen Apollo shafts come stock recently was the Adams A4r, the original A4s didn't however.

Yeah, you might want to check your source again for their current info.
And last I checked, Furyk was playing KBS
Thats what i thought i look at his WITB last week and he had KBS

For you guys that haven't heard of Apollo steel shafts I'm guessing you haven't been around the game for that long. It's like a basketball fan saying he's never heard of Michael Jordan.

I have been playing since the 90's can't say i have ever seen or hit a set with them in. steel shafts i have seen have been made for OEM's or KBS,TT or Rifle

I have been playing since the 90's can't say i have ever seen or hit a set with them in. steel shafts i have seen have been made for OEM's or KBS,TT or Rifle
Google it. Trust me you'll be embarrassed, wow.....I can't believe how many people haven't even heard of Apollo shafts. Must be golfers that keep the same equipment for 20 years and never upgrade.

Google it. Trust me you'll be embarrassed, wow.....I can't believe how many people haven't even heard of Apollo shafts. Must be golfers that keep the same equipment for 20 years and never upgrade.

I upgrade equipment all of the time and I have never heard of Apollo. Callaway has a pretty extensive list of custom shafts and they don't have any of their shafts listed.

Apollo vs True Temper

This is statement is inaccurate. The amount of time someone has been playing golf doesn't correlate to obscure golf shaft knowledge.

Jordan transcended basketball and was part of pop culture across the board. You didn't have to be a basketball fan/player to know Jordan or his abilities.

Golf shafts are a niche interest & unique to golf. I can easily see how many would not know about a particular shaft outside of a club builder yet still have been around the game a while,

Last edited:
Back