The Official 2013-2014 NBA Thread

I think you missed my point. It was a stab at how bad of shape the NBA is in. I called Miami San Antonio at the beginning of the year. It's beyond predictable and the same teams win year in and year out.

Bad shape how? It is arguably at its highest popularity right now. The worst team in the NBA just sold for a record price. It's not like Miami/San Antonio was the super obvious pick this year. Miami was the pick out of the east, but there were 4-5 legit contenders in the west this year.

Did you not watch the Clippers and Warriors? Now that was good basketball. The loser of that series should've taken the spot of Brooklyn/Toronto

I watched no Clippers games for fear of having to listen to non-stop Sterling discussion.

I may have unfairly disqualified them.

Did you not watch the Clippers and Warriors? Now that was good basketball. The loser of that series should've taken the spot of Brooklyn/Toronto

That was good offense, no defense

Not sure Id call it good basketball

Lots of folks predicted it...they're the two best teams.

I wouldn't say it's always the same teams. For example, Pistons had nice run in the mid 2000's but aren't any good now. Lakers were 3 time champs in early 2000's....in shambles now. The Bulls were God awful for half the 2000's. It's fairly cyclical.

How many teams/franchises have ever won the title in the existence of the NBA? How many franchises are there currently?

It's the same people every year.

Bad shape how? It is arguably at its highest popularity right now. The worst team in the NBA just sold for a record price. It's not like Miami/San Antonio was the super obvious pick this year. Miami was the pick out of the east, but there were 4-5 legit contenders in the west this year.

Outside of the big market areas, it was pretty obvious. No one was going to stop San Antonio in the West. I'd love to see Oklahoma take over and it may just happen next year.

Outside of OKC, who was another legit contender? LAC? They had a good run but not legit IMO. Again, next year they may have a great chance.

How many teams/franchises have ever won the title in the existence of the NBA? How many franchises are there currently?

Does the longevity of good teams bother you in other sports, or just basketball?

I think some of the reason that basketball teams are able to stay on top longer could be attributed to the fact that 1 superstar out of 5 on the court is enough to keep your team relevant, see Cavs with Lebron.

As far as the NBA goes, offense is the only thing in basketball. Which is why I prefer college anyways.

Outside of the big market areas, it was pretty obvious. No one was going to stop San Antonio in the West. I'd love to see Oklahoma take over and it may just happen next year.

Outside of OKC, who was another legit contender? LAC? They had a good run but not legit IMO. Again, next year they may have a great chance.

I'd say OKC, LAC, SAS, and HOU were all legit contenders in the west. Anytime you can have 2 of the top 15 players in the league, you have a shot at winning the championship in the NBA. OKC and LAC definitely had a decent shot at knocking off the Spurs. If Ibaka would have been healthy, that would have been a completely different series (although injuries are a part of the game).

Does the longevity of good teams bother you in other sports, or just basketball?

I think some of the reason that basketball teams are able to stay on top longer could be attributed to the fact that 1 superstar out of 5 on the court is enough to keep your team relevant, see Cavs with Lebron.

It's not the longevity of good teams. It's who makes the NBA the most money. Can you imagine the championship being Utah and Milwaukee? You think that would ever happen? How about Charlotte vs Sacramento?

Again, how many franchises have ever won the title? 8? Maybe 9?

18 finals winners
20 super bowl champions
22 world series Champs.

Not a huge difference.

If this is the reason why a sports league is in bad shape, then the NFL is in worse shape than the NBA...

It's not the longevity of good teams. It's who makes the NBA the most money. Can you imagine the championship being Utah and Milwaukee? You think that would ever happen? How about Charlotte vs Sacramento?

Houston vs Portland?, Houston vs Orlando?

Like I just said, 18 teams have won a championship.

18 finals winners
20 super bowl champions
22 world series Champs.

Not a huge difference.

Ding ding ding

Case rested. Lots of folks don't care for the NBA for various reasons, but they ought to at least be valid reasons.

San Antonio is not a major NBA market...

Smallish markets have had their success in the NBA. SAS has been dominant the last 15 years, Utah was dominant in the 90s, Houston was great in the 80s and 90s, Milwaukee was fantastic in the 70's, and there are several other examples.

As far as the NBA goes, offense is the only thing in basketball. Which is why I prefer college anyways.

During the regular season offense may win games, but during the postseason, defense wins championships.

If you look at the recent NBA teams to win championships, they have all had the ability to play good, if not lock down defense. San Antonio's defense was extremely good last night.

Same thing goes in college basketball.

18 finals winners
20 super bowl champions
22 world series Champs.

Not a huge difference.

10 of which have only done it more than once. 33 of them belong to Boston and LAL/Minneapolis. 34 to the other 16 teams.

I don't necessarily count the Rochester Royals and others from the 50s as winning the title either. I have no "valid" reason for that.

10 of which have only done it more than once. 33 of them belong to Boston and LAL/Minneapolis. 34 to the other 16 teams.

I don't necessarily count the Rochester Royals and others from the 50s as winning the title either. I have no "valid" reason for that.

Royals are now the Sacramento Kings. Yankees have 27 championships (16 more than the 2nd place Cardinals). You will have outliers in every league.

Royals are now the Sacramento Kings. Yankees have 27 championships. You will have outliers in every league.

We don't need to talk about the Skankees in here....

I figured it had some relevance in the conversation. It just makes sense that larger markets will have better teams. They are more attractive destinations, fan support is oftentimes better, more endorsement opportunities, etc. As in all leagues, though, you will have great large market teams, great mid-market teams, and great small market teams.

Further proof Lebron is a baby

Best father's day gift ever would be a Spurs win tonight!

Watch out Spurs. Bosh and his 12 points a game and no defense in this series are guaranteeing a win tonight.

Watch out Spurs. Bosh and his 12 points a game and no defense in this series are guaranteeing a win tonight.
Well he's gotta say something lol

Back