Should I upgrade my Callaway X-20 irons?

myndcraft

#TheGauntlet 2015 Champs
Reaction score
Handicap
Driving
Have the opportunity to save a significant amount of money on any of the following sets

Callaway Apex
Callaway X2 Hot
Wilson D100
Wilson C100
Wilson FG Tour M3

My question is should I? I have no issues with the X-20s and enjoy hitting them, but I'm wondering if any of these would be a significant improvement over the X20s. Obviously I would demo them all and get fit, but any general feedback about the above models would be great!

Generally if it isn't broken, don't fix it. You said you like your current set so I'd save your money dude

I'd say the X2Hot irons are the closest looking model to your X-20s and you'll probably gain a few yards with the new technology. I switched from the Burners and really like them.

if you are fine with them i would not worry about it

I'd get the Apex. Assuming you hit them well. Doubt you'll see night and day difference in your bottom line, but if you can get a good deal those are some sweet irons.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. For those who said sticks with what works I agree! If I buy clubs though I kill two birds with one stone. Filling my need to buy gear, I'm an addict, and then having clubs to pass down to my teen whose just starting the game :D

The Apex's are pretty nice clubs. However as has been mentioned, I don't think you are going to see drastic changes going from the X20's to the Apex's or any of the iron sets you listed.

If you are going for it the Apex are very nice

I miss my X20's some days. If you really want to upgrade like a couple said the X2's would be the perfect fit.

I went from X20 to XHOT and felt it was a good move last year.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. For those who said sticks with what works I agree! If I buy clubs though I kill two birds with one stone. Filling my need to buy gear, I'm an addict, and then having clubs to pass down to my teen whose just starting the game :D

Sounds like you want to buy... I'd go get fit. Don't limit yourself to just the listed irons (which is a pretty good list btw). You may find out that the TM speedblades or PING i25s are a better fit, for example.

I went from X-20 to Di11 (so the equivalent, or close to it, of the D100s on your list) and I don't regret it in the least. My swing has changed as well, so I'm hesitant to say that the gear made a big difference performance-wise, but feel-wise? Night and day. The Di11s feel so much better in my hands, and that's enough to make me feel like I'm playing better. Not the most scientific, I know :D But if you can compare any of those sets on a monitor with your current sticks, that may help out.

Sounds like you want to buy... I'd go get fit. Don't limit yourself to just the listed irons (which is a pretty good list btw). You may find out that the TM speedblades or PING i25s are a better fit, for example.

100% would get fit (and did last time). If something other than those listed were the best though would have to hold off for now due to cost.

100% would get fit (and did last time). If something other than those listed were the best though would have to hold off for now due to cost.

Gotcha. Then I'd try to hit all of them and see which works best. All solid irons.

While I agree with don't fix what isn't broken....I think there's been a little bit of advancement in technology since the X20. I say go try them all out
somewhere....bring your current irons as well and give them a go. I'd upgrade, especially if I could get a big discount. But in reality, it's all about improvement and if the piece of equipment makes the game easier and more fun for you.

Have the opportunity to save a significant amount of money on any of the following sets

Callaway Apex
Callaway X2 Hot
Wilson D100
Wilson C100
Wilson FG Tour M3

My question is should I? I have no issues with the X-20s and enjoy hitting them, but I'm wondering if any of these would be a significant improvement over the X20s. Obviously I would demo them all and get fit, but any general feedback about the above models would be great!

I asking myself the same questions about my Mizuno X-23 irons.

What dhartmann34 said. Important to compare potential new to your current. I'm often excited about a new iron only to see that my old Razr x performs better or same 99% of the time.

Would have spent a lot if money without having that benchmark handy. :)

I'd say the X2Hot irons are the closest looking model to your X-20s and you'll probably gain a few yards with the new technology. I switched from the Burners and really like them.

I agree.

Loved my X20s...
I went the Taylormade route and bought rocketbladeZ.

My only issue and I still struggle with it time to time is getting used to the change in distance from the X20S.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback and opinions everyone. I'm heading to the PGA Superstore this weekend, a guy I know from league is a fitter there, and I'm going to be experimenting with the Callaway and Wilson head/shaft combos compared to my X-20s.

I'll let you all know how it turns out along with some launch numbers.

Back