Trouble with Getting Better - Fight Hard, or Enjoy the Game?

Splendorlex

Reaction score
Handicap
40+
As some of you know, I took a lesson earlier this year for the first time. It might be helpful to give a brief rundown of where I am. I started golfing in my early 20s, about 15 years ago. I played a few times a week for a couple of years, and at my best could often break 100 but a "normal" score was the 105 range. I was really into the game, though, and read a lot of magazines and tried to get better. I just sort of picked the game up out of the blue, and played a lot with some friends. Once I got married and started a family, I quit playing. It was too much of a drain financially.

Now I'm a little better off, and started playing again last year. And this year I decided to take my first real lesson. I got a lesson at a local GG store, and it seemed good. I liked the coach, and I liked what he told me. He said there were some very good things about my swing, including a good stance and setup. He said I was a couple elements away from a real swing that could take me to the next level.

Here's the problem. The things I need to do differently are so ingrained I feel like I just can't get it done. I come over the top and cast the club. I KNOW these things. I've tried various methods to correct it. But when I'm standing over the ball and going to take a swing, I just can't seem to do any of it. That "casting" motion or trying to hit the ball are just so buried in my muscle memory. It's frustrating.

So my question is really this. In some cases is it better just to enjoy the game with the limitations you have, than go through the pain and try to rewrite your swing? I played my first actual round yesterday (I've avoided it since I've done so poorly trying to fix my swing) and became more frustrated. I almost feel like I was better off when I didn't know about casting or OTT. Back then I could enjoy the times where my OTT synced up just right and I hit a beautiful 6 iron into the green.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been in this position!

In case you were interested, here's my summary video lesson:

I think a lot of us are in your shoes. We might be at different handicaps, but we plateau in our game. I've been there for several years. I've come to the conclusion that I won't be getting much better, so I better just get the most with what I have and just go out and try to enjoy. Either that, or completely give it up and try something else.

It all depends on why you started to take lessons to begin with.

I know and understand your struggle and frustration with changing your swing. I have been fighting a swing change since last year my muscles are trained to fire/work a certain way when i am on the job and that way doesn't equate to success on the course. I am just now getting to that point where things are clicking more regularly and I even posted a new PB that was 11 strokes better than my previous.

Here is what I know- change takes time and work-- lots of both- you need to work on swing changes at a slower speed 25% and slowly increase that speed till you get to 80% effort and thats where you should stay with how hard you swing. When I swing easy/tension free my SS is faster, accuracy(direction&distance control are much better), I see a gain in yardage as well

If you are not willing to commit hours and hours of work to make the sing changes work and consistent then I suggest just enjoy the game and your time on the course.

It all depends on why you started to take lessons to begin with.

I know and understand your struggle and frustration with changing your swing. I have been fighting a swing change since last year my muscles are trained to fire/work a certain way when i am on the job and that way doesn't equate to success on the course. I am just now getting to that point where things are clicking more regularly and I even posted a new PB that was 11 strokes better than my previous.

Here is what I know- change takes time and work-- lots of both- you need to work on swing changes at a slower speed 25% and slowly increase that speed till you get to 80% effort and thats where you should stay with how hard you swing. When I swing easy/tension free my SS is faster, accuracy(direction&distance control are much better), I see a gain in yardage as well

If you are not willing to commit hours and hours of work to make the sing changes work and consistent then I suggest just enjoy the game and your time on the course.

What he said. Even with lots and lots and lots of work you still may find yourself slipping into old bad habits too. It's frustrating, but part of why I'm attracted to the game.

Either decide to or don't, but if you do you might as well give it your best shot.

There is no right or wrong way to enjoy the game, that's the awesome thing about it, no singular path.

Its all abotu what makes you ENJOY it the most. That might be just playing your swing as it is and advancing the ball and enjoying doing it however you do. To some it is lessons and ingraining a change in their swing to optimize their scores and that is where their enjoyment comes from. Again, no one path.

I will say, swing changes are hard, they're frustrating, its easy to fall back into the old "comfortable" thing you have known and a lot of times there is a feeling of it getting worse before it gets better and you get rid of those incorrect habits. After it takes though, the improvement is absolute joy.

Part of golfing for me is working on improving. I enjoy that part. Try practicing targeting and personal swing changes separately. When working on the change just try to hit the ball. When playing, play don't think about the changes. It will become more natural with time.

I would say do what keeps you happy and enjoying the game. Ive said before that I just enjoy being out with friends and family but I'll be the first to admit that I do enjoy trying to get better and reach that next level. It's the challenge that keeps me coming back. Think you've gotta find that happy medium. Good luck!

I started again last year, got to mid/high nineties with a couple of lessons. I've continued to take lessons, my technique is improving greatly, but my scores aren't (only broke a 100 a couple of times this year so far).
My lack of ability last year was flattering my scores, a topped or heavily fat drive would find itself a hundred yards in the fairway, now I might hit a good drive but find it runs into trouble, a thinned 7i might find it's way to the front of the green, I now might hit it great but find myself in a bunker.

The thing is, I'm enjoying the game even more, enjoying the improvements even if the scores aren't coming yet, it's the process that's fun for me. Also, hitting a towering pw that goes a few feet right off the green is far more satisfying then hitting the ground 8 inches behind the ball and having it trundle to the front.
I do see guys who play week in week out, entirely within themselves, shooting bogey golf, with no interest in improvement, and they're quite happy with it, they're interested in the social and exercise aspect. But that's not for me, I like the process of improvement (I feel the same way about work funnily enough, I couldn't sit happily coasting, I always want to be a little better at everything I do).

Lessons are good. If they become stressful you can back off and work on the things at your own pace. That is what I do. Not trying to be a golf master overnight and just enjoying the ride.

If I may.. I think part of your problem is you are too strong and get away with that swing. Eventually you will use more of your mid-section and torso turn for power and less of the forearms and legs and all the inside swing stuff will fall into place.

The grind for the perfect swing is 50% of what I like about this game..... and 150% of the work...

Lessons are good. If they become stressful you can back off and work on the things at your own pace. That is what I do. Not trying to be a golf master overnight and just enjoying the ride.

If I may.. I think part of your problem is you are too strong and get away with that swing. Eventually you will use more of your mid-section and torso turn for power and less of the forearms and legs and all the inside swing stuff will fall into place.

Never a truer statement was said. :) It's actually the same exact problem I have in bowling. I can't "swing". I overuse my arms and legs to try to drive the bowling ball the same way. I don't let physics and gravity work in my favor. In golf, I'm swinging hard with my arms, and not making a proper swing at all I don't think. It seems perhaps that is a bigger problem in golf. I can't get through my head to make a swing - I just want to hit that frigging ball. :)

Never a truer statement was said. :) It's actually the same exact problem I have in bowling. I can't "swing". I overuse my arms and legs to try to drive the bowling ball the same way. I don't let physics and gravity work in my favor. In golf, I'm swinging hard with my arms, and not making a proper swing at all I don't think. It seems perhaps that is a bigger problem in golf. I can't get through my head to make a swing - I just want to hit that frigging ball. :)

This is my struggle although its getting better, as a FireFighter I hit things and hit them hard to get them to move or break. There is very little finesse in what I do for a living its all about bursts of pure power and that does not transfer to the golf swing well. I can muscle the ball out there with or past most but lack true distance and accuracy with that swing.

When I swing the club from the ground up properly I hit the ball farther and more accurately than I can even fathom with my muscled swing. I also see a more piercing boring ball flight and get that pure sound from club meeting ball and then the whiz of the ball cutting through the air.

Getting the idea that smooth is faster and better is the biggest hurdle I have had to over come in my game so far.

fight hard when you are at the driving range.

When you go play, enjoy the game (i.e. you are permitted one swing thought, but, only one. Any more, and, you will start playing golf swing, and, the game becomes much less enjoyable.) Over time, what you practice at the driving range will become more ingrained into your swing, but, when you are on the golf course, don't over think it, and, have fun.

I am in a pretty similar situation, just had my first lesson in 7 years. While it is frustrating to go through a change (I have a couple serious flaws that I have to fix) I am excited at the prospect of improvement.

It is going to take a lot of hard work and time, but I think I am on the right track to improve. And if I improve, I know I will enjoy the game even more.

The hardest part is to deal with all the hard work not quickly translating into improvement and keeping a positive attitude. Trust the changes, put in the work you can and know that you will come out better on the other end.

Back