Birdieball Putting Greens

I have been hitting a few on it every day. I know its not a true green but its a fantastic way to practice my stroke and get the work in. Sitting in the comfort of my garage I have really been able to figure out where I was going wrong sometimes.

Guess I am fortunate that my cat goes after the less important furniture - like the couch. :)

They like the furniture better than the scratching posts that were specifically made for them!

That's rough....Guess it's good I'm allergic as can be to cats.

Cat clawed the living daylights out of it and threw up on it also. Not happy.

Bumping an old thread as I'm considering getting one of these, but I'm concerned that
A) it won't sit flat being rolled and unrolled every time i use it
B) it won't actually improve my putting in any measurable way since it's just not close enough to a real green.

It's pretty darn close to a real green. Is there better? Sure, but not anywhere near as good a value as the birdie ball.

I roll mine up after each use and every time I put it back down it eventually goes flat. A few books help speed up the process

It's pretty darn close to a real green. Is there better? Sure, but not anywhere near as good a value as the birdie ball.

I roll mine up after each use and every time I put it back down it eventually goes flat. A few books help speed up the process
Thanks for the thoughts!

Mine is laid out flat at all times so I can't comment on the reflattening after being rolled up. But it certainly does have a nice roll to it and if you use a broom, you can change the speed and roll a little bit as well. Really a great tool for golf practice in my eyes.

What size are you pondering Curtis?

Bumping an old thread as I'm considering getting one of these, but I'm concerned that
B) it won't actually improve my putting in any measurable way since it's just not close enough to a real green.

Can't help you with A as mine stays out all the time in my basement, but I can answer B. Will it be exactly like a real green? No, but it is close enough in my opinion to work on a number of things in your putting and does a much better job than carpet. I primarily use mine to work on pace; a smooth stroke and ending up just past the hole, and I've seen a marked improvement in my putting from the distances I'm able to practice on my birdie ball. The breaks are somewhat annoying as you can't really see them like you can on a real green, but once you know what they're going to do, you can work on a repeatable stroke and hitting your mark. As others have said, for the price it is certainly worth it. One of my regrets though, is that I got a medium stimp green, but always play on slow greens.

What size are you pondering Curtis?
GolfTown up here sells a 12x2 so that's what I was looking at but I see on the actual Birdieball website that I can pretty much get whatever size I want.

I think that's what size mine is. It stays rolled out but if I recall it didn't take long to get flat. I also used a few books and boxes on the corners. It rolls pretty good IMO and if they still have the discount on their website it's definitely the best bang for your buck.

A: Yes, it will always go flat. Make sure to roll it with the putting surface facing outward.
B: It DRASTICALLY helped my putting inside 5 feet. I actually had a 2x14 footer that I cut down to just 9 feet and practice 3-5 footers now. After doing this last year I finally had putting rounds in the 20's for the first time in my life.

1. If you buy one make sure to only get the size you need and medium speed. You can just use a broom to make the green roll faster or slower by sweeping the grain.

2. It's a waste of time using these or any indoor green for practicing puts that break.

3. Don't worry about getting one wide enough to stand on. Just buy some floor mats from dicks or a hardware store for $10. They are the same height as the birdie ball mat.

4. Get a putting mirror!

pDSP1-7102618p275w.jpg

Honestly, a 1x10 with the above floor mats should cost you $50 total and be everything you need for indoor putting practice. You can see my birdie ball sitting to the side in this video with my putting mirror and ruler that's helpful.

I have a different putting mirror but this eyeline one is all you need.

Putting_Alignment_Mirror__86940.1415635391.400.400.jpg

I have a 4' x 18' and it flattens out pretty quickly after it's been stored. Generally I try to keep it out all the time so I can practice daily.

If I had to do it over again I wouldn't have got such a monstrous-long green (it was a free upgrade from 14' so it seemed like a good idea at the time). I spend most of my time practicing 6-10 footers, so I might eventually cut it into 2 separate pieces.

The only real problem I had with it is I left it out for a neighborhood party last winter (it's in the basement) and we had lots of different games set up (ping pong tournament, darts, putting contests, etc.) and somehow somebody took a couple of gouges out of it. I assume it was from little kids running on it or playing with other toys on it - never noticed anyone abusing it though. It still works, but I have to avoid one spot - it's a minor annoyance.

So - if you have kids, warn them to be gentle with it.

I do think it helps improve my putting. I can focus on setup & technique - just working to make it very repeatable & quick.

If anyone comes across a more realistic surface, I'd love to hear about it (and I'm sure it will cost a lot more!). Overall I think this is a very good value.

I just picked one up 2 weeks ago. I got the 4x14 and could not be happier. I think with the discounts they offer, its the best bang for your buck. If you do order from there website put "upgrade" in the remarks area and they will upgrade you to the next one. i.e if you order a 10 ft they will send you the 12 ft one instead. I'm in the northeast and I have this in my basement and I also picked up the the black side clips to help it lay flat. No issues sofar. I'm able to stand on mine and I don't wear any shoes. I don't recommend wearing any because it really is a piece of rolled up form. What this is really good for is repetition of your putting stroke. Those little 4 footer won't be knee knockers come spring time! Good luck on your decision.

They will send you a sample if you ask them. When I was building my putting green i got some to try out. It might be the cheapest and worth the money if that's what you want. My biggest complaint with it was it left imprints. Because it's more of a foam material where you stand while putting leaves imprints. Yes it comes back but if you have a two way putting green your going to notice them and if you walk on it from one side to the other

Just unboxed my 4x14. Oops. Guess I should have measured its intended new home before ordering. It's a couple feet long.
Contemplating lopping off 2' off the end and using that to stand on off to the side. Or it could be a little 2x4 green. :clown:

Just unboxed my 4x14. Oops. Guess I should have measured its intended new home before ordering. It's a couple feet long.
Contemplating lopping off 2' off the end and using that to stand on off to the side. Or it could be a little 2x4 green. :clown:
I have the same size and the same problem. I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking when I bought it--I mean, it doesn't even fit in my yard.

I have the same size and the same problem. I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking when I bought it--I mean, it doesn't even fit in my yard.
No wonder you putt like you do.

I've been practicing every day over the winter and decided to focus mainly on 6-foot putts. I'm up to 84-90% (out of 100). At one point I made 40 in a row (and the green has a definite right-to-left break because it's sitting on the basement floor).

I'm just wondering - what's the most you've made in a row from this distance or greater?

I've been practicing every day over the winter and decided to focus mainly on 6-foot putts. I'm up to 84-90% (out of 100). At one point I made 40 in a row (and the green has a definite right-to-left break because it's sitting on the basement floor).

I'm just wondering - what's the most you've made in a row from this distance or greater?
I did 100 putts from 5, 7 and 9 feet Friday night. I was 97/100, 88/100 and 74/100. Fairly straight putt. Little bit of a left to right break on the 9 footer.

Here's a game I play... Start with 4 balls and putting to the far right cup (7ft). Then putt the 4 balls near the far left cup all the way down to the single cup (9ft or so). Then putt the 4 balls by the single cup all the way down to the far left cup. If I miss any along the way, I start over completely.
9f16822151bf81fdf3687a082cd1aacc.jpg

From 9 ft the most I have made in a row is 28. 40 is incredible!

Here's a game I play... Start with 4 balls and putting to the far right cup (7ft). Then putt the 4 balls near the far left cup all the way down to the single cup (9ft or so). Then putt the 4 balls by the single cup all the way down to the far left cup. If I miss any along the way, I start over completely.
9f16822151bf81fdf3687a082cd1aacc.jpg
Is that a 12' birdieball?

Back