TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

Encouraging progress compared to early feedback from you. Looking forward to more feedback.

One question that pops up due to your comment on the shorter shaft. Assuming you've hit the SLDR mini, how does the shorter SLDR compare to the mini?

Gaming the SLDR at an inch longer than the mini I hit. Distance seems to be a bit better with the driver vs the mini, but control seems a bit better with the mini.

The SLDR is not my favorite, but I am determined to get this one dialed in. I need a higher launching shaft, which I will have in the MC, and I think once that happens and I continue to work in my swing, this would be serviceable. However, it is not a club that will permanently be in my bag, there are just so many other options that suit me better out there.

Hit the range again today toting this one at 14* and 44.5". Not sure if it's the swing just jiving or the shorter length, but I have found a decent groove with this driver.

Not the best I have ever gamed, but I am really finding myself with this one. Misses off the toe are just not there for me right now, and I am just missing either high or low on the face which doesn't result in a miserably penal shot.

I have a bit more work to do with this one. But the higher loft and shorter shaft have it working for me at the moment.

Hope this continues for you Ryan. Glad to see you've found some encouraging settings.

Totally agree with you that high/low is the best "miss" with the SLDR. It's what I've seen as well.

Hit the range again today toting this one at 14* and 44.5". Not sure if it's the swing just jiving or the shorter length, but I have found a decent groove with this driver.

Not the best I have ever gamed, but I am really finding myself with this one. Misses off the toe are just not there for me right now, and I am just missing either high or low on the face which doesn't result in a miserably penal shot.

I have a bit more work to do with this one. But the higher loft and shorter shaft have it working for me at the moment.

The SLDR is much more forgiving of the High/low miss than lateral miss i typically mis high/low which i why it has been so good for me

Still gaming the 10.5* head which provides more loft options for me than the 9.5*. Just an incredibly long and accurate driver.

Last edited:
Got my 12* WHITE SLDR today! 12/12 on fairways while shaping the ball MUCH easier than covert tour 2. .....don't get me wrong, the ct2 is an awesome driver but the inability to draw became very frustrating.

Got my 12* WHITE SLDR today! 12/12 on fairways while shaping the ball MUCH easier than covert tour 2. .....don't get me wrong, the ct2 is an awesome driver but the inability to draw became very frustrating.
Congrats man sounds like it is already working what shaft did you get

My experiment with Sldr is over. Fed-ex picked it up today ,going back to TM.
gb

My experiment with Sldr is over. Fed-ex picked it up today ,going back to TM.
gb

Seems to be a similar experience for many.

Late to this SLDR party. .......what are your issues please?
I'm not sure what L57's issues are but SLDR has the reputation of not performing as well as some other drivers for golfers who tend to miss the sweet spot laterally. I compared it extensively to many of the newer drivers and it was one of the very best and most consistent performers for me, very long and accurate. But my driver face miss tends to be up/down rather than toe/heel and I generate too much backspin.

I'm not sure what L57's issues are but SLDR has the reputation of not performing as well as some other drivers for golfers who tend to miss the sweet spot laterally. I compared it extensively to many of the newer drivers and it was one of the very best and most consistent performers for me, very long and accurate. But my driver face miss tends to be up/down rather than toe/heel and I generate too much backspin.

I am the same as you Daddio and the SLDR performs amazingly well for me. As a high backspin driver of the ball this head really helps me in all departments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The SLDR seems to either work well or not at all the correct shaft seems to make a lot of difference

I'm not L57's issues are but SLDR has the reputation of not performing as well as sbenefitsother drivers for golfers who tend to miss the sweet spot laterally. I compared it extensively to many of the newer drivers and it was one of the very best and most consistent performers for me, very long and accurate. But my driver face miss tends to be up/down rather than toe/heel and I generate too much backspin.

I see.....I too am a high/low vs lateral miss guy and even with slower clubhead speed than most,I see the benefits of it. I did hit one off the toe .......horrible swing made....... but still hit fairway with a small push.
Thanks for the education! Probably why the R9 Superdeep worked well for me.

Stopped in at the PGA Superstore yesterday and hit a couple different drivers in the sim (Wilson D100, Callaway Bertha/Alpha, SLDR 430 & 460 & mini). Carries for the Wilson averaged 256. Bertha and Alpha were 258. With the SLDR, I didn't hit the mini very long. Tended to hit it with a higher launch angle. The 430 carry ave. was 263 and the 460 carry ave was 268. The simulator was a bit dark so I'm not sure I got my best swing on any of the balls, but I was certainly most consistent with the SLDR, and the 460 was my favorite. I'd like to test it out with more a few different shafts to see if I get any benefits with the change.

I've seen a lot of negativity on the SLDR, mostly on mishits, but I think it'll be the next club I move to in my bag.

I see.....I too am a high/low vs lateral miss guy and even with slower clubhead speed than most,I see the benefits of it. I did hit one off the toe .......horrible swing made....... but still hit fairway with a small push.
Thanks for the education! Probably why the R9 Superdeep worked well for me.
That's me too, afflicted with slower swing speed. I also noticed that toe misses might be a little shorter than average but almost always ended up in the fairway. Maybe it's the faster swinging long ball bombers that see the big distance discrepancy on lateral misses. Wasn't worse than any of the other drivers for my low-mid 80s swing. In fact, it performed better than many highly touted drivers, even on the lateral misses. Again, different heads do different things for different swings. Glad SLDR looks to be working for you.

Stopped in at the PGA Superstore yesterday and hit a couple different drivers in the sim (Wilson D100, Callaway Bertha/Alpha, SLDR 430 & 460 & mini). Carries for the Wilson averaged 256. Bertha and Alpha were 258. With the SLDR, I didn't hit the mini very long. Tended to hit it with a higher launch angle. The 430 carry ave. was 263 and the 460 carry ave was 268. The simulator was a bit dark so I'm not sure I got my best swing on any of the balls, but I was certainly most consistent with the SLDR, and the 460 was my favorite. I'd like to test it out with more a few different shafts to see if I get any benefits with the change.

I've seen a lot of negativity on the SLDR, mostly on mishits, but I think it'll be the next club I move to in my bag.

If it works for you great

Stopped in at the PGA Superstore yesterday and hit a couple different drivers in the sim (Wilson D100, Callaway Bertha/Alpha, SLDR 430 & 460 & mini). Carries for the Wilson averaged 256. Bertha and Alpha were 258. With the SLDR, I didn't hit the mini very long. Tended to hit it with a higher launch angle. The 430 carry ave. was 263 and the 460 carry ave was 268. The simulator was a bit dark so I'm not sure I got my best swing on any of the balls, but I was certainly most consistent with the SLDR, and the 460 was my favorite. I'd like to test it out with more a few different shafts to see if I get any benefits with the change. I've seen a lot of negativity on the SLDR, mostly on mishits, but I think it'll be the next club I move to in my bag.

You'll love the SLDR's low spin. I've never hit so many fairways and gained so much effortless distance because of it. I find the head as forgiving as any driver I've ever hit, especially towards the heel. Be sure to try several lofts. I started with the 9.5* head and ran out of loft options quickly because 8*, 8.5*, and 9* are really not enough for this club, leaving me with only 3 out of the 6 loft options. Exchanged it for the 10.5* head and I'm killing it.

It's deja vu all over again. .......but even better! 2nd round with White Knight.......very much royalty.......and just wanna hit this club on every shot.........SERIOUSLY. ......take the alignment benefit of r11s, the forgiveness of r9 supertri and the low spin power of the r9 superhero.....blend in a dash of 510tp heritage and you get .......#BESTDRIVEREVER!

It's deja vu all over again. .......but even better! 2nd round with White Knight.......very much royalty.......and just wanna hit this club on every shot.........SERIOUSLY. ......take the alignment benefit of r11s, the forgiveness of r9 supertri and the low spin power of the r9 superhero.....blend in a dash of 510tp heritage and you get .......#BESTDRIVEREVER!

I would have never put the SuperTri in the same zipcode as the SLDR as far as forgiveness

Supertri forgiveness in the SLDR, bahahaha

Supertri forgiveness in the SLDR, bahahaha

Agreed. The only thing this has in common with the supertri is that they are both made by TaylorMade

Agreed. The only thing this has in common with the supertri is that they are both made by TaylorMade

And they are drivers. But other than that, nothing.

Back