First swing post; would love some feedback

chicogolf

This game's fun GDit
Reaction score
Handicap
First, some background:

I get lessons every couple of months, but always like some additional input or something that can space out the lesson costs. Feedback has been I take the club back too far inside, have a variable hinge pattern, then lay it open, then come too steep. If I then proceed to move my body all over the place (like lean out over the ball), I'll mishit fat/thin or, in the worst case, swing a path outside the ball and hit a hosel rocket. Iron accuracy is, of course, poor, and I'm just as likely to yank a dead pull left than push one out to the right (maybe more the latter - certainly true before I had any lessons).

I also tend to have my front shoulder open at address when I think I'm on target.

Also, the last 2 weeks have been a visit of the shanks that I've never had before. Thought I had it fixed on the range yesterday, then pulled out a 56 to finish with some pitches and proceeded to shank 75% of them. Argh. I have never before shanked with any regularity.

I'm having a hard time finding a way to bring the club back on the correct plane. Any help with that or any other thoughts would be great.

Also, I think I have the camera set up properly. If I don't let me know.

thanks

Goodish:

Bad:

Ugly (hosel shot):

IDK maybe its just or my ZERO training in the profession of teaching golf but I feel like you have a good move into the ball. I am sure Freddie can get you on track to hitting it more center cut though.

What is your feeling or trigger to start the down swing?

Outside in swing path tells me you slice it more often than desired?? Other than that I think you're standing too far away from the ball. I'm not seeing any hip action but all in all it's not a bad swing at all blugold. Kudos. I promise I'll post mine on Monday. Doing first tee that day

I'll leave it to Freddy. It's hard for me to critique a swing because I'm always comparing it to mine. I start my hip thrust and rotation while I'm still in my backswing.

What is your feeling or trigger to start the down swing?

Come to think of it, nothing. I went to the range tonight and tried to have the thought of dropping my hands (?).

I also finally got the camera in the right position (down the line), so that helps with analysis.

I think my take away has been too far inside and I struggle with casting the club to try and make up for it (?).

Range session was better tonight. I did my backswing then a 1, 2, 3 repetition of dropping my hands and tucking my right elbow and swinging through on 3. then hit a ball, rinse and repeat. I was hitting it better, though I still tend to get away from penetrating ball flight (moving up? Not having the aforementioned "hip thrust"?).

Last edited:
I'm not a PGA pro by any sense. But I think your path back isn't too bad. Instead of dropping your hands let your lower half start the downswing. Your hands will follow.

7u8abasa.jpg

There are a couple position in golf that will not allow you to hit the ball with any consistency. This is one of the them.

I've written the next statement 100s of times. The right leg must remain flexed through out your entire swing. You right leg straightens in the back swing and this aids in your big slide toward the target. If the knee was flexed you would be able to drive the lower body instead of slide. And the slide puts you way out of position and causes one to have to save everything instead of swinging through

that concept of drive vs. slide has always been a difficult one for me to put into practice. So, just thinking about keeping the right knee flexed will assist with that?

Thank you for your time.

matt

7u8abasa.jpg

There are a couple position in golf that will not allow you to hit the ball with any consistency. This is one of the them.

I've written the next statement 100s of times. The right leg must remain flexed through out your entire swing. You right leg straightens in the back swing and this aids in your big slide toward the target. If the knee was flexed you would be able to drive the lower body instead of slide. And the slide puts you way out of position and causes one to have to save everything instead of swinging through
The reason he says this is to make sure your weight is forward when you pull down through your swing. Otherwise you'll be lucky to pick a ball. Hitting down on all shots except driver is essential.

did some reading on right knee flex and it makes a lot of sense. My biggest problem (obviously) is consistency. Shoot 81 one time, 98 the next. The still above and what I've read illustrates that.

I'm not totally sure how to "key" it and think about it on the range, but some googling and a thread from 2013 on THP gives me some ideas. I think I'll just hit the range and think about keeping my belt buckle pointed at the ball, turn my shoulders, and keep right knee flex.

I'm not totally clear on the firing of the hips, but I think I have enough to start with (let me know if I'm off base).

I appreciate the feedback. it was especially helpful to have the likely main reason for my wild inconsistency made so clear.

thanks

matt

The key to a consistent swing is really predicated on the lower body starting the swing. And in order to maximize the torque you create in the swing, the lower body needs to be stable. That is why the right leg needs to stay flexed throughout the swing.

Now if the left hip starting the swing gets you then try firing the right knee at the ball before the arms start the down swing. If the right knee remained flexed and you do this, the coil created on the back swing will begin to release back into the ball.

The right knee firing back down toward the ball will get the shoulders to start moving and then the arms. This is the proper sequence for the golf swing. Try this in slow motion to get a feel for it.

Thanks! I will work on it and post back. Much appreciated.

First swing post; would love some feedback

ok, worked on things a bit in slo-mo. Was unable to get to the range before tonight's twilight league. So, just concentrated on keeping the right knee flexed throughout. This had the desired effect of shortening my backswing, as I was clearly using the straightening of the right leg to get more turn. It felt strange, but good. I had a hard time figuring out the way to start the downswing properly and really drive the lower body. I ended up flat-footed on several occasions and hit a couple of snap hooks.

However, I hit the ball with MUCH more consistency, overall. I didn't hit a single fat shot. Hit 3 shots pretty thin, however. Stats:

Shot 44/43 with *18* freaking putts on the back 9. Yup, 2 puts on every single hole. Missed 3 birdies inside 8'.

I experimented with trying to 'fire' the hips and still looking for a key on that. would you mind clarifying this statement:

Now if the left hip starting the swing gets you then try firing the right knee at the ball before the arms start the down swing.

Your'e saying to NOT start the swing by turning the left hip, or that would be one way of doing it, but if that doesn't make sense to me, try the firing of the right knee?

thanks...this feels like major progress, so i'm pretty stoked..I'll try an get some video at some point..

Last edited:
Back