The perfect Pro Shop...

TeeJay

Fairways and Greens.
Reaction score
Handicap
What would be the perfect pro shop to you THP? When you walk in what brands would you expect to see, what services would you expect? How would it look?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Multiple indoor/outdoor hitting bays with launch monitors; off the beaten path brands (Bridgestone, Wilson, Yonex); and a fully stocked bar that serves egg burgers.

Pro shop as in at the golf course? Or a golf store?

In a pro shop, as long as they have balls, tees and gloves, you don't need much more.

I'm meaning more like a golf store. I guess my terminology was wrong lol

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Outdoor hitting bays and good customer service. I'm taking highly diverse product for granted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Multiple indoor/outdoor hitting bays with launch monitors; off the beaten path brands (Bridgestone, Wilson, Yonex); and a fully stocked bar that serves egg burgers.

Change egg burgers to Tahoe Garbage Plates and you've absolutely nailed it my friend.

Every lefty club by any manufacturer that makes anything lefty...all of them. :D

Hitting bays with monitors, both indoors and out. Customer service centric staff that know their stuff I think would be key.

A place that only has a 15% markup on equipment not the 40% that a lot of companies set MSRP at.

A place that has a demo for every club/product line they are trying to sell.

The perfect pro shop doesn't exist because it would go out of business about 3 months after opening.

One that staffs knowledgeable people that don't act like douche bags. Most people here on THP know more than the average guy working at a "pro shop"

A place that would take stuff in on trade, with knowledgeable/accomodating staff, essential golf stuff (tees, grips, balls, "emergency stuff"), and the ability to order in gear.

We have one place here that will actually take stuff on trade, but it closes either this year or next, when they level a 9 hole course to put up condos :(

It would have zero people and a bunch of golf clubs. And cheap clothes.

I'd like Bobby Jones, Nike, Adidas, and Ashworth apparel, relatively inexpensive rain gear that works in a pinch, a mix of course logoed products with some on the sleeve and some on the chest, quality Ball sales, spike replacement service, clean restrooms that don't smell like someone died 10 minutes ago, friendly pro shop staff that doesn't look down on a paying player like they are beneath them, local course rules handed out with your greens fee receipt, a schedule of demo days year round and free clinics to help new folks learn the game and etiquette. I'm sure there's more but out of this list you get some of this at each course but most of it goes by the wayside.

This would about be perfect.

On a side note. I have a feeling a shop like this would ruin a lot of marriages.

Last edited:
Interesting question.I think first it has to focus on service. Without expert advice and 100%understanding of what they carry they have zero shot of making it in this big box world.As another person said I think they need brands that are not featured at the box stores. Bridgestone, Ping, Mizzuno Wilson Staff come to mind.Footwear would be also a tight collection not found everywhere. That strategy works in the running shoe industry so perhaps it would here too,
Apparel, I would focus as much on merchandising as I would brands.You have to romance apparel. Without it being steamed and on nice hangers or on cool tables it looks bland. Also, I would have a women on staff to simply help the customer with suggestions, ideas and the like. Women buy most of the clothing and and tend to have a good eye.Also offer gift wrap,special mother and fathers day buys.Peter Millar,Ashworth would be staples but a couple of price oriented brands and something younger too_Once a month have craft brewers offer their beer while folks shop. Stuff like that.

The perfect pro shop would have all manufactures of clubs and shafts for demo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back