TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

I will give them a shot, but I don't know if I want to pay an additional $100 on top of a $500 driver.

The Diamana D+ & S+ and the Matrix "Ties" are all no charge upgrades on top of the TP

The Diamana D+ & S+ and the Matrix "Ties" are all no charge upgrades on top of the TP

Yeah, I think the stock TS shafts and these you've mentioned will be my starting points. I'm going to spend some time on a monitor to really compare numbers and will start with stiff flex. I guess I'm going to try and hit like 5 a piece and randomly rotate the shafts to try and make it fair if I start to get tired.

Would you suggest starting with the 12* head or the 10.5*? I know you are supposed to "loft up" with this driver, but I typically have too high of a launch angle due to my swing. So I'm sure there will be a point of diminishing returns on the loft.

Just threw an Oban Devotion in here and it is by far the best driver I've ever hit.

Yeah, I think the stock TS shafts and these you've mentioned will be my starting points. I'm going to spend some time on a monitor to really compare numbers and will start with stiff flex. I guess I'm going to try and hit like 5 a piece and randomly rotate the shafts to try and make it fair if I start to get tired.

Would you suggest starting with the 12* head or the 10.5*? I know you are supposed to "loft up" with this driver, but I typically have too high of a launch angle due to my swing. So I'm sure there will be a point of diminishing returns on the loft.

A lot of people here have seen me play. I can throw a pretty high ball in the air. I have to go 12°. The lack of spin requires a high loft.

I would focus a bit on the spin rate. Obviously don't go chasing numbers but try and find a happy medium where your launch is good at that loft, but the spin numbers are still are an acceptable level

I would focus a bit on the spin rate. Obviously don't go chasing numbers but try and find a happy medium where your launch is good at that loft, but the spin numbers are still are an acceptable level

"Don't go chasing numbers". This is the internetz. That's what we do.

"Don't go chasing numbers". This is the internetz. That's what we do.

If you're chasing a 23-2450 spin, that's a bit much. If a head though is giving you 2700 vs 3200 and you're getting a 14 degree launch, I'd say that's not really chasing numbers that's just a better fit

If you're chasing a 23-2450 spin, that's a bit much. If a head though is giving you 2700 vs 3200 and you're getting a 14 degree launch, I'd say that's not really chasing numbers that's just a better fit

23-2450. I just slipped a disc thinking about get that launch with that spin

23-2450. I just slipped a disc thinking about get that launch with that spin

Those seemed like good numbers in my example. Personally, I had some high spin numbers in the higher lofts that were a bit too high. I guess 4k is a bit of a problem, or talent.

now that the cost has ticked down a bit, i think i will allow myself this weekend to put the SLDR through it's paces on a GC2 and check the numbers VS the 2 drivers i have been gaming.

now that the cost has ticked down a bit, i think i will allow myself this weekend to put the SLDR through it's paces on a GC2 and check the numbers VS the 2 drivers i have been gaming.

which other 2 will it be going up against?

which other 2 will it be going up against?

Titleist 910 D2 10.5 w/RIP Phenom 70s, which is new to me this year, and has really shined the last 2 months 270-280, and a old tried but true Taylormade Burner TP 2007 w/Accra XT60 X-Stiff , the TM is the only driver that has given me drives over 300, but also gives me some of my worst drives.

I will likely be buying the SLDR TP soon and wanted some advice on shafts to try. I've tried the SLDR when it first came out with the non-tp stock shafts and was all over the place. I ended up buying the R1 and didn't like the stock stiff 55 gram shaft. I ended up with a Fujikura Motore F1 in X-stiff that was 79 grams and played 45.25 inches long. I loved that set up and set at 10* loft averaged 250 yard drives (total distance) with one as long as 276 on the course. I switched drivers to a Titleist 910D2 in 9.5* set at standard loft with the Mitsubishi Diamana Ahina 72 in X-stiff and stock length. I love it as well and average 250 yards total distance (nothing over 260 yet with this one though).

I don't know if I need X-flex, but found these shafts to help me stay in the fairway more often. If I go with stiff I think I need something at least in the high 60's gram weight range, if not in the 70-80 gram range. My fastest recorded swing speed on Trackman is 111 mph, but I average 105 mph if I want any control. I also fight a slight over the top move with my driver and my miss is typically a 15-20 yard pull, but I occasionally see a 15-20 yard slice. I counteract this with adjustments to my set up since I am having difficulty correcting the swing (even with regular lessons) and the result most often is a pretty straight to slight fade.

So with all that said can any of you recommended the top few shafts I should spend time with? If I spend the extra money on the TP version I would like to go with a shaft that is not an additional upgrade cost through Taylormade.

Thanks ahead for any help you guys can offer.

I am gaming the SLDR TP with the Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 6.3 with a Stiff shaft. I have very similar SS to you, and I can say this shaft has produced a low-spin, high launching drive that I could not replicate with the stock non-TP shaft. The shaft is 67 grams, but really provides the precision and consistency I was looking for off the tee. I got it for $350 on eBay brand new- so don't worry about spending $500 if you want a shaft upgrade- just do your research for the best deal out there!

Just bought a SLDR 10.5 head and paired it with an aftermarket fubuki zt60 stiff. I am in love with the combo so far! I was a little taken aback by the performance on the range, as I had previously only hit it on the launch monitor. The launch was high (which I was expecting), but I was mostly surprised with how long it hangs in the air. This thing explodes off of the club face and then hangs at it's peak height for what feels like an eternity (taking a dump on my other driver's shots in the process)

Is everyone else experiencing the same high yet flat ball flight and extremely long hang time?

Yes. Excellent hang times. No excrement however

I usually blame taco bell

Played familiar course but tees were up on some holes due to maintenance, so only hit 11 #12*WHITE SLDR #bestdriverEVER. .....actually missed one fairway but still looked at birdie. ....... Played with guys who normally I'm 20-30 behind but today it was even or just 10......got both are convinced to at least try one! lol

Played familiar course but tees were up on some holes due to maintenance, so only hit 11 #12*WHITE SLDR #bestdriverEVER. .....actually missed one fairway but still looked at birdie. ....... Played with guys who normally I'm 20-30 behind but today it was even or just 10......got both are convinced to at least try one! lol

Cool sounds like it is really working for you I have a buddy who got one when his dad out drove him with his he could not let that happen so he got his own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool sounds like it is really working for you I have a buddy who got one when his dad out drove him with his he could not let that happen so he got his own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really think I'm just one of those players that truly needs a super low spin (superdeep worked really well too) low launch, higher spin and the 12* puts everything in order......launch window is awesome with low spin attributes.

I really think I'm just one of those players that truly needs a super low spin (superdeep worked really well too) low launch, higher spin and the 12* puts everything in order......launch window is awesome with low spin attributes.

Higher spin?

Back