Recovering from shoulder surgery...is it time for graphite shafts in the irons?

DblBogey4Life

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm almost three weeks out of shoulder surgery (torn laberum-bone shaved). I have not talked to my surgeon about it, but should I be thinking about getting graphite shafts in the irons. I have a step angle that can lead to digging when I'm off. Just want some advice to anyone who might have also had shoulder surgery. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't had the same issues, but the good news is taht if you do there really hasn't been a better time to switch. Lots of great options out there.

I'd flip it around. Why should it take a shoulder injury to consider switching?

I think everyone will eventually be playing all graphite. It's just a matter of time.

Dude, I have bursitis in my shoulder. Had cortisone shot, which helped bit. Well, anyway, I'm using graphite now and love it. I'm a steep swinger too and the graphite (I believe) will prolong my playing career. I was a doubter, but after playing rounds my shoulder is surprisingly fine. I used to ice it afterward, but no more. There simply is no need. Graphite just gives me the feeling of less harshness. I was a huge cynic before my graphite switch, now I'm a true believer. Plus, I've gained a few yards distance wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seven anchors in the right shoulder/arm after torn rotator cuff, labrum, Bankart procedure.

I was initially worried about returning to golf and had my physical therapist include some golf moves (along with other sports moves) in my rehab. It was great and suggest you do the same.

i actually went the other way from what you're asking...I just went from R300 shafts (post surgery) to KBS Tour S shafts. I'm having no problems whatsoever and actually feel better (swing is more fluid with the stiffer shafts).

My surgeon told me it is all psychological and that my repaired shoulder is stronger than the other. That certainly seems to be the case.

I'd suggest you wait to make any decisions until you're further post op. Hit the rehab hard, it is just as important as a good surgeon and can make all the difference. Once you've rehabbed hard feel it out and see, maybe you'll find your stronger post op.

I had that same surgery on my left shoulder on 10/10/2012. I had 2 tears in my labrum and he shaved the bone spur as well.
I did not ask my surgeon about graphite shafts so I have no idea what he would have said.
I am still using steel and have no problems with them. How long does he want you to wait to golf? My surgeon made me wait just short of 5 months.
Good luck with your healing !

Here is my surgery. . . . .

[video=youtube;lv-VJhmptPo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv-VJhmptPo[/video]

My shoulder injury is what caused the switch to graphite...it is probably about 80% but I won't go back to steel again now that graphite is on par.

Shouldn't need shoulder surgery to justify the switch to graphite shafts. Decent chance there's a graphite shaft out there you'll hit better anyway. I had zero expectation that my next set of irons would have graphite shafts... Then I got recoils. I'm sold.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I think everyone will eventually be playing all graphite. It's just a matter of time.

Agreed

I say go for the graphite. I have a shoulder that bothers me (impinged) and when I dig it irritates it. This season, I got some ping NOS g15s, they have a wide sole and tend to not dig, quite a nice benefit for me. It also helped that they are lighter.

I like this thread a lot. I was considering a switch to graphite myself as I was experiencing some pain/numbness in my hands and wrists. I was convinced that it was carpal tunnel, but now that I am in a cast with a broken wrist, my other hand/wrist has been fine. That leads me to believe that maybe it's arthritis which is what I was hoping it wasn't. All that being said, I like the point, or question asked about why wait for an injury to switch? The answer for me, up until this point, was cost. If the Recoil Prototypes I swung last spring weren't $1,300, I'd be playing them already.

I like this thread a lot. I was considering a switch to graphite myself as I was experiencing some pain/numbness in my hands and wrists. I was convinced that it was carpal tunnel, but now that I am in a cast with a broken wrist, my other hand/wrist has been fine. That leads me to believe that maybe it's arthritis which is what I was hoping it wasn't. All that being said, I like the point, or question asked about why wait for an injury to switch? The answer for me, up until this point, was cost. If the Recoil Prototypes I swung last spring weren't $1,300, I'd be playing them already.
Ouch at 1300 I understand, but arent there some c cheaper alternatives?

Ouch at 1300 I understand, but arent there some c cheaper alternatives?
Absolutely. But the Recoil Prototypes are the only ones I've swung to date. The bigger problem IMO is finding what's out there available to demo. The days of buying blind are mostly over for me.

I've had minor shoulder problems for years, my father had to give up the game from bursitis when I was young. Not quite enough for surgery yet. But I switched to Steelfibers in March just because they fit me best and since then I've had almost zero shoulder issues on the course as a nice side effect. I get steep on bad swings also. No problem. I hit my graphite shafts longer, straighter, and more consistently than any steel shaft I've ever played. The reduced wear and tear on the body is a great bonus. Try 'em out!

Absolutely. But the Recoil Prototypes are the only ones I've swung to date. The bigger problem IMO is finding what's out there available to demo. The days of buying blind are mostly over for me.

If you have a Club Champion near you, you can go there to try just about every popular and semi-popular (and not-so-popular) iron shaft on a trackman with your choice of heads. it's really pretty awesome. They have the current recoil offering and about 2 bajillion others.

If you have a Club Champion near you, you can go there to try just about every popular and semi-popular (and not-so-popular) iron shaft on a trackman with your choice of heads. it's really pretty awesome. They have the current recoil offering and about 2 bajillion others.
It's definitely a consideration, and your fitting writeup (as well as others) was impressive, but I'm pretty sure the closest one to me is in Boston--a little over 2 hours away.

I'll probably do it, just not sue when.

It's definitely a consideration, and your fitting writeup (as well as others) was impressive, but I'm pretty sure the closest one to me is in Boston--a little over 2 hours away.

don't quote me on this, but I *think* the boston location is their main location. bigger shop, possibly even bigger selection, etc. 2 hours isn't super close, but if it really is the mother ship location then I think it would be even more worthwhile to make the drive. good luck!

I drove 2.5 hrs to Orlando to do mine and it was worth every minute.

I agree for the most part. I'm sure my next irons will be graphite. At 53, it is time I think.

Going to see an orthopedic surgeon about my left shoulder on Tuesday. It's been bothering me for a few years. MRI followed by surgery is OK with me just want to swing away without pain.

I've gone through almost exactly the same procedure. The important thing is not to cheat on your physical therapy exercises! If you don't, your operated shoulder will be your better shoulder. Once you've healed, the question is irrelevant as far as the shoulder is considered. Now, should you switch to graphite in general...

Watched that whole video. Very interesting. Had no clue what I was looking at or going on, but interesting to see nonetheless. Thanks for sharing

I had that same surgery on my left shoulder on 10/10/2012. I had 2 tears in my labrum and he shaved the bone spur as well.
I did not ask my surgeon about graphite shafts so I have no idea what he would have said.
I am still using steel and have no problems with them. How long does he want you to wait to golf? My surgeon made me wait just short of 5 months.
Good luck with your healing !

Here is my surgery. . . . .

[video=youtube;lv-VJhmptPo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv-VJhmptPo[/video]

I work as a physical therapist and athletic trainer and have helped tons of golfers with their rehabilitation following surgery. The graphite versus steel shaft conversation is interesting because I've never even considered it as an option until now. It really comes down to the vibration that you experience from ground contact all the way up the club and into your body that causes the aches and pains. If you are doing everything that you should and need to do during rehab and giving yourself true recovery time, you should be able to go back to playing golf without any issues. Make sure that you are stretching before rounds or practice time at the driving range but also do strengthening exercises for your legs, hip, and abdominal region (also known as the CORE)....Shoulders and wrists/elbows/forearms are always under stress with golf. Using grips (Like Golf Prides newer line of CP2 Pro) that help absorb some of the vibration and forces created can definitely help. Also I know that some of the steel shafts on the market are now offering some vibration reduction materials within the steel shafts to help reduce a lot of the painful vibration/forces that go along with golf. If you go to my work place website, http://www.livefit.org/therapies/sports-specific-programs/, there is a downloadable stretching routine that will only take you 10 minutes to do to help as well!!! Good luck in your rehab!!

I have had right elbow problems for a few years now, I had a fitting at PGA SS and he recommended graphite so I recently changed to Aerotech Steelfiber i95,s and love them. My elbow doesn't seem to bother me at all after hitting balls any more. It's still not 100% mind you but it really does take some stress off the elbow. I also went with the golf pride CP2 wrap midsize grips on the new shafts and love them as well. Note: the i95s aren't cheap by any means and I went with regular flex, usually play stiff in steel but these shafts seem to play stiff to flex. I think it was worth the investment.

I work as a physical therapist and athletic trainer and have helped tons of golfers with their rehabilitation following surgery. The graphite versus steel shaft conversation is interesting because I've never even considered it as an option until now. It really comes down to the vibration that you experience from ground contact all the way up the club and into your body that causes the aches and pains. If you are doing everything that you should and need to do during rehab and giving yourself true recovery time, you should be able to go back to playing golf without any issues. Make sure that you are stretching before rounds or practice time at the driving range but also do strengthening exercises for your legs, hip, and abdominal region (also known as the CORE)....Shoulders and wrists/elbows/forearms are always under stress with golf. Using grips (Like Golf Prides newer line of CP2 Pro) that help absorb some of the vibration and forces created can definitely help. Also I know that some of the steel shafts on the market are now offering some vibration reduction materials within the steel shafts to help reduce a lot of the painful vibration/forces that go along with golf. If you go to my work place website, http://www.livefit.org/therapies/sports-specific-programs/, there is a downloadable stretching routine that will only take you 10 minutes to do to help as well!!! Good luck in your rehab!!

Totally agree about the grips Chris.. I put on Winn Dri Tacs and that really helped with my elbow tendonitis. I have a shoulder issue as well, but I think it's beyond what just a grip change is going to help. Been holding off on getting anything done with it because missing time from work means missing out on the quarterly bonus. But it's getting to the point where I will have to bite the bullet.

Back