Lucy Li, 11, qualifies for U.S. Open

Whats with all the comments about age? If she is good enough to qualify now, why prevent her from doing so because of an arbitrary number? I see speculation about missing out on her childhood, yet were talking about one week during the summer? We don't know whether she is well adjusted or not. I just don't see why this is a problem if she's good enough to compete.

Whats with all the comments about age? If she is good enough to qualify now, why prevent her from doing so because of an arbitrary number? I see speculation about missing out on her childhood, yet were talking about one week during the summer? We don't know whether she is well adjusted or not. I just don't see why this is a problem if she's good enough to compete.

Fupresti. I feel it goes a lot more than just the one week. There was the pressure (presumably) of the qualifier. Now she will face a months worth of media national attention. Who knows how uh pressure and exposure that week. Then the after effects of her play, be it good bad or just ok play. That's a lot for an11 year old to cope with.

Granted none of us know what kind of support system she has or plans to shield her from so much attention. And this may be two completely irrelevant comparisons. But the NBA and NFL have age restrictions for a reason. And think about it. There are some 11year old genius out there, but would they fit in an office environment and be prepared to handle pressure and expectations.

I know it's the only 1week or 1 month thing compared to full time. But just in my humble opinion it's too much for an 11year old.

That said I will be pulling for her to do well.

Fupresti. I feel it goes a lot more than just the one week. There was the pressure (presumably) of the qualifier. Now she will face a months worth of media national attention. Who knows how uh pressure and exposure that week. Then the after effects of her play, be it good bad or just ok play. That's a lot for an11 year old to cope with.

Granted none of us know what kind of support system she has or plans to shield her from so much attention. And this may be two completely irrelevant comparisons. But the NBA and NFL have age restrictions for a reason. And think about it. There are some 11year old genius out there, but would they fit in an office environment and be prepared to handle pressure and expectations.

I know it's the only 1week or 1 month thing compared to full time. But just in my humble opinion it's too much for an 11year old.

That said I will be pulling for her to do well.

The NBA and NFL have restrictions based mainly on physical capacity to play at the professional level.

Lucy Li, 11, qualifies for U.S. Open

The NBA and NFL have restrictions based mainly on physical capacity to play at the professional level.

I understand it wasn't a great comparison I know. just more to point out that it's not uncommon.

Although I think there is a maturity aspect to the restrictions as well. Some guys are ready physically right out of HS. But I agree it's mostly for their safety.

One week during the summer? I don't think so. This would seem to be years of daily work.
Hey, maybe she truly enjoys it. Who knows?
I'm sure we'll hear all manner of stories about how her mom, dad, coaches, trainers, and agents have to make her stop practicing because she just loves to play so much. I can't condemn her parents, but I won't be lauding them for this either.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

I agree mostly, but I can see the argument against. Her maturity, both physical and emotional, for an event of this magnitude, could potentially have a negative effect on her, both short term and long. Short term, could she potentially injure herself over a grueling 4 day tournament that she has never experienced the likes of? Long term, the early stardom could have a negative effect on her growth and maturity, robbing her of her full potential down the line.

All other major sports have age minimums on when you can compete against other professionals. In the NBA, now for example, you need 1 year of college, and they're discussing upping to 2.

I agree mostly, but I can see the argument against. Her maturity, both physical and emotional, for an event of this magnitude, could potentially have a negative effect on her, both short term and long. Short term, could she potentially injure herself over a grueling 4 day tournament that she has never experienced the likes of? Long term, the early stardom could have a negative effect on her growth and maturity, robbing her of her full potential down the line.

All other major sports have age minimums on when you can compete against other professionals. In the NBA, now for example, you need 1 year of college, and they're discussing upping to 2.

And we see how effective the age restrictions are at making sure the NBA has balanced, developed talent coming into the league...

Age is a number. I know 13 year olds with the maturity level that would make middle aged men jealous. Im just saying before we start firing up the torches and grabbing the pitchforks lets see how this plays out.

And we see how effective the age restrictions are at making sure the NBA has balanced, developed talent coming into the league...

Age is a number. I know 13 year olds with the maturity level that would make middle aged men jealous. Im just saying before we start firing up the torches and grabbing the pitchforks lets see how this plays out.

I don't think anybody was throwing her to the wolves or wishing her ill will by any means. Like I said I'll root for her to play well. I just think it's reasonable to wonder if it's really in the beat interest of someone at that age.

Like I said I don't think any of us know her or her parents personally. So it's all speculation both the pros and cons, but unfortunately I think the downsides probably outweigh the upside.

hey, from a purely selfish standpoint i love it. it adds entertainment to my viewing, but that's just another reason it's probably not in her best interest. There just seems to be so much downside for her than upside.

hey, from a purely selfish standpoint i love it. it adds entertainment to my viewing, but that's just another reason it's probably not in her best interest. There just seems to be so much downside for her than upside.

I disagree. The game is suffering so things like this and the Drive, Chip and Putt create interest in younger people that translates to more attention to the game.

I disagree. The game is suffering so things like this and the Drive, Chip and Putt create interest in younger people that translates to more attention to the game.

drive, chip and putt i agree with completely...but obviously it doesn't need to be said what a colossal difference that plays versus the US Open.

I agree 1000 percent on the drove, Chip and Putt competition. And kudos to Augusta National for opening it's doors to them. It definitely got more attention then it would have if it had been held at some muni in Iowa (no offense Iowa :) )

She might not have come close to making the cut but darn if her game wasn't impressive for 2 days.

+16 for Lucy Li at a US Open is just amazing at age 11. Half of us would be tested to put a number as such. Hats off to her.

She had some killer shots today. She has to play driver and 3 / 5w into most those holes, the fact that she was able to hold those greens and make a couple birdies is really impressive. I think she handled it great

+16 for Lucy Li at a US Open is just amazing at age 11. Half of us would be tested to put a number as such. Hats off to her.
Is that +16 over 2 days? If so, that is pretty remarkable. I probably couldn't shoot 16 over there on 1 round, let alone 2!

Is that +16 over 2 days? If so, that is pretty remarkable. I probably couldn't shoot 16 over there on 1 round, let alone 2!

I might be +16 on the front 9 on a us open setup

She had some killer shots today. She has to play driver and 3 / 5w into most those holes, the fact that she was able to hold those greens and make a couple birdies is really impressive. I think she handled it great

Kind of reminded me of Guan Tianlang, that 14-year-old middle school student from China who played in the Masters a couple of years ago....

It was so cool to watch how she handled the whole situation last week, I have a feeling this won't be the last time we see her around an LPGA event!

It was awesome seeing this young girl play and interact with the media. She acted her age, which is awesome. Kind of reminds me what this game is about, having fun. I'd love to see Tiger eating ice cream after his first round this Thursday.

Back