Freaky thing happened on the range yesterday

This is one of the moves described in the book "Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing" I think

Yes, he recommends a number of exercises to teach how to engage and strengthen the pelvic area. I can see those exercises along with this technique working well together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My golf fitness guy who was a long drive competitor told me to do that. I'll try it next time out.

Yes Stevie I did. I normally hit a very high, some would call it towering, shot with my irons and they were more on a penetrating mid-range flight and straight like "a frickin' laser"

I wasn't able to get out again yesterday because of a torrential downpour, but I'm playing after work today and am definitely curious as to how it works on the course.

Any chance you can video a before (old set up) and after (new)?

I'm curious what your measurements are, specifically height/weight. I'm a bigger guy 6'4" and 250 lbs and have had instances where my lower back is sore after a long day on the course. The instructor I have gone to a couple times (Jeff Isler, Southlake TX) had me take a slightly wider stance than I had been taking before -- and that seems to have alleviated alot of those issues.

As others have mentioned previously, I would be interested to see a video of what you are describing.

I am 6'1", 185 lbs. Extruded a lumbar disc a few years ago, had issues swinging since. The "taint under" position has really alleviated my back and hip pain after a round.

I have hyperlordosis and use the Fix Your Swing exercises. They definitely help with lower back pain.

I haven't used what your describing as a swing thought though and will have to give it a try.

Sounds like you found a secret that very few tour players possess. Arching the lower back and engaging the core is pretty standard in a solid golf swing.

update

update

Sounds like you found a secret that very few tour players possess. Arching the lower back and engaging the core is pretty standard in a solid golf swing.
I'm just amazed that I've never heard this little tidbit before from any of the many coaches I've had. I've been trying to engage my core more since changing my swing last fall (back to old school - Hogan, Trevino, Miller, etc.) and this is the ticket!

I haven't had any time to practice since I first tried it on the range, but have played two rounds. It's been pretty easy adding the tilt into my setup, it's keeping it throughout the swing that is a bit harder. I think with some more time and it'll be more natural.
My shots in those rounds, as a whole, have been much more solid and the good swings are effortless. I'm taking one club less with my irons and sometimes that's not enough if I really pure one. I'm also hitting some of my woods ridiculous distances for me. Now remember I'm at altitude, but I hit my 18° hybo 285 today on a par 5 - my layup short of the green turned into on the green in two. On top of all that, my shot dispersion on misses is vastly improved as well.

Similar to pole vaulting I'm envisioning. Have to get the dog to chase the cat if you will. Better yet, come tee it up with a few of us here to show me. Originally from Missouri so not sarcastic.

I've had a physical therapist teach me the wrong things after I broke my back. Due to this my pelvis is angled over 10° (top forward). I spoke to different physical therapists and they all agree on this, so I guess they're right.

Played with one of them and he told me that getting my pelvis to a more neutral position would not only help,with the aches and fatigue, but also with getting more power and speed from my core, especially if I'd be able to rotate it a few degrees beyond neutral. (So pointing little Floor-is up a bit)

So yeah, it is true and no it's not what I've learned about 10 years ago..

This may be a similar thing but I recently made a slight change that is resulting in the most solid contact ever almost always for me (hitting into a net so tough to gauge sidespin). The change was tilting my face angle up some, so I feel like I'm looking down my nose at the ball. After reading this thread, I thought about the different feel, and that move has resulted in my feeling that my core is activated more and I am more upright. Perhaps similar but I am able to get in about 40-50 swings a day into the net so I look forward to taking it to the range and the course to see the results.

Back