Things That Irritate You On the Course?

Came across this over the weekend and it is a double dose of things that irritate me on the course. First the course aerated their greens on Wednesday and Thursday and didn't bother to tell me when I made the tee time. We get there and while they apologized for not telling us - they were still charging full price for their round. They supposedly top dressed the greens after punching them, but you couldn't putt on the greens. The ball bounced so much, none of us made a putt over 2 feet. Still it was a gorgeous day in October and I was playing golf - so I really had no right to complain and I didn't.

But what really bothered me was the ballmarks on the green. Apparently people interpreted the aerating the greens as an excuse not to repair their ballmarks. With the ground being a little softer now, there were some serious ballmarks on the greens that you couldn't miss. I get that people might not like the fact that the course decided to aerate, but that doesn't mean you don't show the course or the golfers behind you the proper respect it/they deserve.

I love fall golf in the Northeast. It's beautiful and since the weather is a lot cooler, there seems to be less people out playing. But all weekend, two things drove me nuts: extra long rough (can't mow as often with the damp ground) and TONS of leaves on the ground making it virtually impossible to find golf balls off the fairway. And the leaves on the greens aren't much fun either.

Here in whitecourt the front nine is cut right out of the forest along the river and leaves get real bad too, but what i thought was pretty cool is that this year they had gas powered leaf blowers at all the greens, one pull and 30 seconds later everyone has an unobstructed putt, worked pretty slick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Came across this over the weekend and it is a double dose of things that irritate me on the course. First the course aerated their greens on Wednesday and Thursday and didn't bother to tell me when I made the tee time. We get there and while they apologized for not telling us - they were still charging full price for their round. They supposedly top dressed the greens after punching them, but you couldn't putt on the greens. The ball bounced so much, none of us made a putt over 2 feet. Still it was a gorgeous day in October and I was playing golf - so I really had no right to complain and I didn't.

But what really bothered me was the ballmarks on the green. Apparently people interpreted the aerating the greens as an excuse not to repair their ballmarks. With the ground being a little softer now, there were some serious ballmarks on the greens that you couldn't miss. I get that people might not like the fact that the course decided to aerate, but that doesn't mean you don't show the course or the golfers behind you the proper respect it/they deserve.

He's not joking. There was a trench on one hole that looked like they had just started strip mining operations. You could not have missed this if you had a blindfold on. Just rude.

OTOH. it was a beautiful day and we finished 18 in 3 hours and 30 minutes.

Slow play is my biggest pet peeve! Next on my list is people not yelling FORE and golfers not repairing their pitch and divot marks.

I can deal with slow play for the most part.

1. Fix your divots.
2. Fix you on the green.
3. Yell, don't say in a normal voice, FORE when you are about to hit me with a ball. This actually happened. It was a quiet, almost barely imperceptible "fore" that I heard one second before a ball came raining down right by me.
4. If the course is busy, don't drop a second ball and hit it.

I think I experienced my biggest peeve. The golf course was empty. 7 total players. Absolutely a gorgeous evening, and the guy at the counter would NOT stop his personal phone call, talking about fantasy football, to take my money. I stood their for 6 minutes waiting. Then he was upset because I made him "feel hurried". The result, my worst round in a very long time. 52 on the front 9.
common curtousy isn't so common.
Anyway.
Cheers. Happy holiday to all.
Happy Thanksgiving to Canada.

TONS of leaves on the ground making it virtually impossible to find golf balls off the fairway. And the leaves on the greens aren't much fun either.

Lost two balls from this. I watched my shot, saw where it landed, went over only to see it had become one with the leaf. Leaves on the greens are also annoying, but not too bad for me since I'll toss them aside.

I can deal with the slow play, but like others, cannot stand it when I am behind a slow group, and the group behind me starts playing into me. Drives me crazy. Especially if they start saying things to me like its my fault.Makes me feel rushed and almost always causes my round to tank. My number 2 would be un-repaired ball marks. Just take 2 seconds to bend over and fix it!!

Lately it seems like slow play is the norm but I've really been trying to learn how to deal with slowing down my game. I play great when I play fast and slow play kills my momentum but I can't change anyone else. I think I just need to change myself and learn to deal with it.

For the love...*bangs head on wall* ...of everything that is holy..... *bangs head on wall* ....play a little quicker. If I can feel sweat lines forming on a new hat in the heat you are playing too slow

Tapatalkin it in on my iPhone 4S

Played the other day behind a short-hitting group that waited for the group ahead of them to get on the green no matter what type of hole. They putted every green like they were playing for money (slow). And, they would drive to one guy's ball, he would hit, get back in the cart and drive to the next guys ball even if they were right near each other. A 4.5 hour round that should have taken 3ish.

Once you reach the green, the hole should disappear after 2 minutes.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

People refusing to group up is one of mine. I went out at 6 pm the other day to play 9 and was a single. On hole 4 I caught up with a twosome that had a foursome in front of them. On hole 5 I pulled up behind them as they were putting their clubs away after hitting their drives. I looked at them expectantly and they just finished putting their clubs away and drove away, leaving me to wait on the tee a good 5 minutes.

The next hole, I pulled up as they were still hitting their drives. I sat there thinking, "Ok, they can't possibly not invite me this time." Sure enough, they finished hitting, walked to their cart, put their clubs away and drove away. I sat for almost 10 minutes waiting. Rather than just speaking up and asking to join them as I normally would, I decided to see how long it would take them to ask me. They never did.

As a threesome following a foursome, we likely would have had minimal waiting. As it was, they waited on the foursome on every shot, and I waited on them every shot.

Played with a guy in a tournament yesterday (he shot 106) that never watched where his ball went after he hit it. On at least half of the holes our whole entire group had to help him look for his ball. It got old and annoying very fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And, they would drive to one guy's ball, he would hit, get back in the cart and drive to the next guys ball even if they were right near each other. A 4.5 hour round that should have taken 3ish.

I encountered this recently as well. Carts going everywhere left and right and only one person hitting at a time. The 3 of them were literally watching every shot, then go to the next ball. They weren't very good hitters either. Ugh.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I encountered this recently as well. Carts going everywhere left and right and only one person hitting at a time. The 3 of them were literally watching every shot, then go to the next ball. They weren't very good hitters either. Ugh.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

This was exactly it. And, not to be mean, but they were terrible. One guy hit as many sideways as forwards and then they would get back in the cart and drive to it every time. It was almost comical.

Played with a guy in a tournament yesterday (he shot 106) that never watched where his ball went after he hit it. On at least half of the holes our whole entire group had to help him look for his ball. It got old and annoying very fast.

I have trouble tracking my own ball off of the driver sometimes. It is not fun.

I have trouble tracking my own ball off of the driver sometimes. It is not fun.

But that's because of eye sight and that's not your fault. The guy I played with wasn't even trying to watch it.

My pet peeve?? I guess it has to be 'pet peeves'. You play your game I'll play mine. I'll smoke and I won't make you have one. You drink beer and I'll have my power aid. You play your pace and I'll play mine. Oh and you hit into me and I throw your ball in the woods!!

Ball marks not being fixed on the green. It takes less then 10 seconds to fix.

Ball marks not being fixed on the green. It takes less then 10 seconds to fix.
How many did we fix on Saturday? Drives me crazy especially when someone leaves a crater in the green - you can't use an excuse that you didn't see it.

Things That Irritate You On the Course?

How many did we fix on Saturday? Drives me crazy especially when someone leaves a crater in the green - you can't use an excuse that you didn't see it.

Those Ohioans. Not golf course etiquette

Especially when the grass you removed is stick on your ball.

Last edited:
Those Ohioans. Not golf course etiquette

Especially when the grass you removed is stick on your ball.
That wasn't mud, that was a mark from the cart path - I swear! :)

Unranked bunkers. Period.

Those drive me nuts. The course I usually play is notorious for people not taking bunkers. It's like having a water hazard on the hole instead of a sand trap. You can basically count on being in a footprint.

Seriously, the difference between me shooting low 70s or high 70s on that course is almost completely based on whether I'm in the sand that day.

People refusing to group up is one of mine. I went out at 6 pm the other day to play 9 and was a single. On hole 4 I caught up with a twosome that had a foursome in front of them. On hole 5 I pulled up behind them as they were putting their clubs away after hitting their drives. I looked at them expectantly and they just finished putting their clubs away and drove away, leaving me to wait on the tee a good 5 minutes.

The next hole, I pulled up as they were still hitting their drives. I sat there thinking, "Ok, they can't possibly not invite me this time." Sure enough, they finished hitting, walked to their cart, put their clubs away and drove away. I sat for almost 10 minutes waiting. Rather than just speaking up and asking to join them as I normally would, I decided to see how long it would take them to ask me. They never did.

As a threesome following a foursome, we likely would have had minimal waiting. As it was, they waited on the foursome on every shot, and I waited on them every shot.

I feel there has been a dramatic shift in invites in only the past few years. I've gone to trying to pair up or pass for a couple holes, then I just kinda back off and do my practice thing possibly playing 2 or 3 different balls to keep a steady pace behind, yet not pressuring.

Back