Help...hanging back...I think...

huhhh

Reaction score
Handicap
25.3 GRINT

Side View

Down the Line

The side view I know I'm hanging back. The down the line view is a better swing. I don't know how to get rid of it, because it doesn't feel any different. Main misses are fat, dead pull, and shank. I'm not sure if it's all from hanging back or something else. I do know it's getting bad... I'm on vacation and I was trying to break 90, but the last 2 rounds I'm just trying to break 115. :banghead:HELP!!!

It appears that you are hanging back because your hips are only turning, not moving laterally. Try instead of turning, bump your hips up and slightly to the left. It may feel weird but the turn will be there and you will get the bottom of your swing arc moving a bit in front of the ball. You don't want to much of a bump though

Interesting... I always tried to avoid sliding, I thought it was supposed to be rotational. Is there a drill?

It appears that you are hanging back because your hips are only turning, not moving laterally. Try instead of turning, bump your hips up and slightly to the left. It may feel weird but the turn will be there and you will get the bottom of your swing arc moving a bit in front of the ball. You don't want to much of a bump though

I'm sorry but this is just not correct. There should be no slide or bump in the lower body.

To each his own. I believe in a slight lateral movement towards target in the downswing

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry but this is just not correct. There should be no slide or bump in the lower body.

Won't a small bump help drop the hands into the slot? You mentioned that in another thread.

I always thought there was a little bump to the left and then rotating through

Perhaps he misunderstood me as saying to "slide" towards target. I think there should be a little bump towards target

You are swinging all upper body. There really is very little attempt to engage the lower body in the swing. As long as you continue to swing upper body you will always hang back.

Try dropping you lead foot off the line once you setup to the ball. This will open your hips to the target. Make sure your shoulders and knees are still on the target line but the hips will be a little open. As you swing down and through drive the right knee down toward the ball. This will assist in getting the lower body engaged. As long as the lower body is engaged you shouldn't hang back as much.

Got it... How much back should I move the front foot, just a couple of inches? Thanks Freddie.

Won't a small bump help drop the hands into the slot? You mentioned that in another thread.

I always thought there was a little bump to the left and then rotating through

Perhaps he misunderstood me as saying to "slide" towards target. I think there should be a little bump towards target

Please take a hitting rod and place it outside your left hip. The goal is to swing behind the rod. The rod should be placed just outside the left heel.

A slight bump as you and others feel is needed puts you into this rod and in front of the ball. At this point you are are dead in the water. Your body takes over and the swing you thought was coming stays in your mental Rolodex.

Now if for some reason you have trained your body to play with a slide and it works for you, by all means sty with it. But I promise you over time it will disappear and the fix won't be easy.

Last edited:
Please take a hitting rid and place it outside your left hip. The goal is to swing behind the rod. The rod should be placed just outside the left heel.

A slight bump as you and others feel is needed puts you into this rod and in front of the ball. At this point you are are dead in the water. Your body takes over and the swing you thought was coming stays in your mental Rolodex.

Now if for some reason you have trained your body to play with a slide and it works for you, by all means sty with it. But I promise you over time it will disappear and the fix won't be easy.
In my case it seems to help me from hitting it fat. How do you help people avoid hitting fat.
Please take a hitting rid and place it outside your left hip. The goal is to swing behind the rod. The rod should be placed just outside the left heel.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for this Freddie. Could bumping too much and hitting that rod like you mentioned cause a block right? That's my main miss and perhaps that's why it's happening? I've been meaning to upload my swing for you. Maybe later tonight I'll get one

Please take a hitting rod and place it outside your left hip. The goal is to swing behind the rod. The rod should be placed just outside the left heel.

Freddie - you mention a slight bump in another one of your threads. What do you mean by that?

Tadashi70 said:
Does the over the top swing plague your game? Do you set up right and pull it left? Better yet do you set up left and hit further left?

If this is you then there is hope. We watch the top players in the world swing with effortless power week in and week out. There is great deal that goes into that but one of the common swing elements is their lower body.

Once they set the club at the top their body starts the down swing. This little bump of the left hip drop the club into the 'slot'. From this position they are able to SWING the club down and through the ball.

When they start straying off the fairways or greens they are always a bit out if sync. Slightly over the top or hanging back to save the shot. But to a man, when they are on their game that lower body is firing first.

So... just got back from the range. Firing the back knee at the ball seems to help...a lot. Hit some fat... suspect that is a timing issue with the new move / thought. Only moved the front foot back a few inches, maybe I need more. I still shanked every full wedge though.

Thanks for this Freddie. Could bumping too much and hitting that rod like you mentioned cause a block right? That's my main miss and perhaps that's why it's happening? I've been meaning to upload my swing for you. Maybe later tonight I'll get one
Yes a block could be the result
Freddie - you mention a slight bump in another one of your threads. What do you mean by that?
I know you want to bump so bad and maybe you should continue to do so. It's seems to be comfortable for you.

When the hip moves off the line there will be a slight move toward the target. The move is related to turning out of the way. The hip won't just drop of the line. The hip just will occupy the forward space as it turns out of the way. If done correctly it's not noticeable by the naked eye.

*Migrated*

Now that my takeaway is where I want it and am coming into the top with the club in front of me, I am starting to block shots and push them way right and trying to save them with a massive release. I'm losing strokes.

What I was trying to do was move the left hip backwards perpendicularly to the target line. Which was no bueno.

Dude, please don't hijack his thread with you swing issues. You have your own thread and you text me. Please allow the OP a chance to get back to his thread

The Titleist Performance guy at my track has an exercise for this. It's basically a sex-like hip thrust. If you take your normal set up position with a cat back arch, place your hands on your hips and roll your pelvis forward unit you can't go any farther. Repeat the motion in the opposite direction. Repeat 10 times or so. This will build some dexterity in the hips so the bump Freddie talked about will happen easier. I do this most every day and I've noticed a big difference in the ease of involving my lower half.

The Titleist Performance guy at my track has an exercise for this. It's basically a sex-like hip thrust. If you take your normal set up position with a cat back arch, place your hands on your hips and roll your pelvis forward unit you can't go any farther. Repeat the motion in the opposite direction. Repeat 10 times or so. This will build some dexterity in the hips so the bump Freddie talked about will happen easier. I do this most every day and I've noticed a big difference in the ease of involving my lower half.

PS. Don't do this in public. It looks weird as hell.

Okay, now I'm confused. Do I bump or not? Does this have anything to do with my hanging back move? :confused2:

Okay, now I'm confused. Do I bump or not? Does this have anything to do with my hanging back move? :confused2:

As I stated earlier in my response. The left hip moves back away from the ball or rotates away from the ball.

A bump and a slide are not the same thing. The bump happens naturally when you clear your hips as Freddie said. Sliding your hips parallel along the target line is a recipe for trouble.

Back