Southern Iowa Get Together Summer 2014

I got clamp & tape packed

The teams are

Team Illinois - the artist formerly known as Prince, Rambler, manlai, Illinimick
Team Iowa - the King, sleuth, FlyingWedge
Team South-West aka Team Bulldog* - IceyShanks, bulldog, Texashacker, Woody#s
*sorry guys, since this is extremely loose, to keep teams at 3 or more people throughout Saturday, I had to just group you together.

I haven't totally hammered out the competition format. But unless I indicate otherwise or someone has a better idea, it will be a best ball format, but the kicker is, the best ball is among your entire team, which means you won't know who wins until the end of each round. That seems to work with the fact that several groups throughout the weekend will only have 3 people.

~Rock

YESSSSS!!! Sounds like a ton of fun is to be had! Thanks, Rock.

Bring it on!

See? This is what happens when a couple of Huskers could be paired... The rest of the prairie states get "skeered" and don't team them up. Ah well... You're going down, this time, Icey!! Say... What'll it take for a couple of Runzas to make their way south with you? :desire:

We could skip all the golfing and cabins, and just watch the lorax over and over again like I'm doing now.

I tried to practice tonight, but women were on the course, and guys just don't go on the course on Tuesdays if any women are out there. Oh well, I have league tomorrow and I'll try to work out the remaining kinks then.

As for Nebraska, do I need to track down Doug LeBoner for you guys?

~Rock

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Speaking of extra stuff, I do have some speedblades in stiff and some ATV wedges just laying around...

No doubt there is a need to sell some more stuff. I don't have one of those grips "in stock". :act-up:

Manlai, have you called either of the Superstores? I'm planning on stopping at the Schaumburg store on Thursday. If they have one, I can pick it up.

You know, most of the challenge is getting someone at the store to answer the phone! Schaumburg is out but it looks like Downers Grove is my ticket. I'll try to get over there tonight but traffic is horrible on the 290 right now.

YESSSSS!!! Sounds like a ton of fun is to be had! Thanks, Rock.

See? This is what happens when a couple of Huskers could be paired... The rest of the prairie states get "skeered" and don't team them up. Ah well... You're going down, this time, Icey!! Say... What'll it take for a couple of Runzas to make their way south with you? :desire:

If I pack a cooler I'll make sure they're in there!

You got any extra shafts laying around? If so post em haha. I might be interested in tinkering

Don't have too many loose shafts; I'll post stuff available for me to bring for folks to try or maybe more... To anyone, let me know if something interests you.

Shafts:
Diamana Blueboard 83S (last played in a driver)
Aldila NV 85S (don't know what the shaft diameter is)
Purple Ice 85X driver shaft (don't know what the shaft diameter is)
PX 5.0 (original satins) 3-PW (.370)

Clubs:
Cobra Bio Cell Green driver stiff
Cally XHP 3 wood PX 6.5
Cleveland 588 H3 stiff
Bettinardi BB1 counter balance
Odyssey MXM Versa #9
Piretti Cottonwood II

Will have a couple of sets of irons with me: Apex w/ KBS Tour V (for sure), and deciding between 714 AP2 Recoil 110s or Cobra S3 Pro Steelfiber i110s. I'm such a 'Ho...

Nice hoard... Was hoping a lefty would show up.

Nice hoard... Was hoping a lefty would show up.

Let me check the back room. Maybe I bought something just to do it. :alien: (j/k)

Also, I do have some extra B330 in the garage; couple of "versions" old, but still decent golf balls. I'll bring them along, and if anyone wants a sleeve, have at it.

Don't have too many loose shafts; I'll post stuff available for me to bring for folks to try or maybe more... To anyone, let me know if something interests you.

Shafts:
Diamana Blueboard 83S (last played in a driver)
Aldila NV 85S (don't know what the shaft diameter is)
Purple Ice 85X driver shaft (don't know what the shaft diameter is)
PX 5.0 (original satins) 3-PW (.370)

Clubs:
Cobra Bio Cell Green driver stiff
Cally XHP 3 wood PX 6.5
Cleveland 588 H3 stiff
Bettinardi BB1 counter balance
Odyssey MXM Versa #9
Piretti Cottonwood II

Will have a couple of sets of irons with me: Apex w/ KBS Tour V (for sure), and deciding between 714 AP2 Recoil 110s or Cobra S3 Pro Steelfiber i110s. I'm such a 'Ho...

I'd love to swing the apex. I can pay for swings in runzas!

Let me check the back room. Maybe I bought something just to do it. :alien: (j/k)

Also, I do have some extra B330 in the garage; couple of "versions" old, but still decent golf balls. I'll bring them along, and if anyone wants a sleeve, have at it.

They need to have the show Golf Hoarders on the golf channel!

From The HTC One Blue!

I would like to try some B330s. I have been wondering which version would fit me best got a 50/50 split on the bfit of b330 or b330s

They need to have the show Golf Hoarders on the golf channel!

I have seen some dudes that are crazy golf hoarders. My collection barely registers with some stuff I have seen.

I would like to try some B330s. I have been wondering which version would fit me best got a 50/50 split on the bfit of b330 or b330s

Please do. I strongly prefer the feel of the B330S - the B330 feels much firmer, IMO. I played all of my B330S stash, and just didn't finish off the B330. Now, I'm playing nearly the exact opposite type of ball in the Cally SuperSoft. Go figure.

I have seen some dudes that are crazy golf hoarders. My collection barely registers with some stuff I have seen.

Please do. I strongly prefer the feel of the B330S - the B330 feels much firmer, IMO. I played all of my B330S stash, and just didn't finish off the B330. Now, I'm playing nearly the exact opposite type of ball in the Cally SuperSoft. Go figure.

I have a dozen of the supersoft at home.. Lets just trade. Deal?

What?? No love for the Noodle long and soft??

~Rock

Final Jeopardy Answer...

...No love for the Noodle long and soft??...

What is, "Adult films you don't want to star in"?

Man seeing all the different clubs that are going to be at this event makes me feel like a kid in a candy store. Hopefully I can bring a little game and not play like $hit as bulldog would say. Rock since we are staying in a cabin with a bunch of guys I really don't want to see the noodle long and soft. I work in healthcare I've had to see to much of that kind of stuff to deal with it on a trip like this.

What?? No love for the Noodle long and soft??

~Rock

Final Jeopardy Answer...

What is, "Adult films you don't want to star in"?

I mean, it's half right at least, right? Hello?......Bueller?

Man seeing all the different clubs that are going to be at this event makes me feel like a kid in a candy store. Hopefully I can bring a little game and not play like $hit as bulldog would say. Rock since we are staying in a cabin with a bunch of guys I really don't want to see the noodle long and soft. I work in healthcare I've had to see to much of that kind of stuff to deal with it on a trip like this.

The noodle long and soft is coming out of the bag for this event, if you know what I mean.

~Rock

Just a few days away everyone! Today is hole 16. I think you'll notice in the picture below, it is a split fairway. This hole always plays long for me. Even from the middle tees, it seems like a lot longer than 405. Still, one of the first times I played this hole, I was playing with one of the assistant pros (who is no longer there). His advice off the tee "aim for the middle bunker, just swing as hard as you can." His theory was that you probably won't hit so perfectly straight as to end up in that bunker. If you head for the left side, you are teeing off uphill, but then you will be at the same height as the green on the approach. If you head to the right side of the fairway, you are teeing off a bit downhill, will have an uphill approach, and an annoying bunker protecting the front of the green. The green itself is one of the flatter greens on the course.

golf_card_hole_16.jpg

EDIT: If you guys might have noticed, the yardage indicates Par 4 but the 'hole description' on this official Preserve image indicates it's a par 5. It is a par 4. You may have also noticed some of the other yardage pics containing type-O's, some of them being significant. This is what happens when the government funds the creation of a 'resort' or super park, but awards various parts of it to the lowest bidder. I'm still pretty sure their website is broken, and that's been that way for more than 6 months now.

~Rock

Last edited:
Just a few days away everyone! Today is hole 16. I think you'll notice in the picture below, it is a split fairway. This hole always plays long for me. Even from the middle tees, it seems like a lot longer than 405. Still, one of the first times I played this hole, I was playing with one of the assistant pros (who is no longer there). His advice off the tee "aim for the middle bunker, just swing as hard as you can." His theory was that you probably won't hit so perfectly straight as to end up in that bunker. If you head for the left side, you are teeing off uphill, but then you will be at the same height as the green on the approach. If you head to the right side of the fairway, you are teeing off a bit downhill, will have an uphill approach, and an annoying bunker protecting the front of the green. The green itself is one of the flatter greens on the course.

golf_card_hole_16.jpg

EDIT: If you guys might have noticed, the yardage indicates Par 4 but the 'hole description' on this official Preserve image indicates it's a par 5. It is a par 4. You may have also noticed some of the other yardage pics containing type-O's, some of them being significant. This is what happens when the government funds the creation of a 'resort' or super park, but awards various parts of it to the lowest bidder. I'm still pretty sure their website is broken, and that's been that way for more than 6 months now.

~Rock
A split fairway, I like having options!

I hope that's not affecting course conditions.....

~Rock

I hope that's not affecting course conditions.....

No, the course was built extremely well, and should be in great shape. Bentgrass fairways and greens should be loving this weather right now. It's their 'tech contract' that screwed everything up on that end of things. To my knowledge, no funding has ever been cut for the course, and they have a great head greens keeper. I mean, this guy (whose name escapes me) is kind of a creative genius. During the drought, and during a particularly long hot stretch, he was discussing that they could throw as much water on the greens as they wanted, but the grass could still die because the soil temperature was over 100 degrees. So what did he do? He grabbed loads and loads of ice and dumped it on the greens as an alternate method of watering them and trying to reduce the soil temperature. I had never heard of such a thing, but I'm not a greens keeper either.

~Rock

Back