Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, what I said was that they COULD fix the problem if they wanted to.

JB, I don't think they can. They can't be the one stop shop solution to what ails baseball. Baseball as a whole needs to be fixed for the fans sake. It starts with the owners, players, and the union. Without their general consensus then the argument would go round and round and never end. I also think baseball needs a special system and not just a standard salary cap because teams like the Yankees and Sox will exceed that cap and gladly pay the penalty since they can afford to do so. But there also has to be some stipulation that doesn't allow what happened in Miami to happen again. That was ridiculous and should never happen in baseball.

Whatever they come up with I just hope it's soon because I can't see taking my 2 boys to a game and having to take out a second mortgage on my house to do so.

I hate the Yankees because I was raised a Dodgers fan. That is all.

Here are the regional ratings from last year. It looks like the smaller teams are still doing pretty good and teams like the Rangers are increasing. Granted I dont know how to read any of these but it shows the order.

RSN Team 2009 rating (change from 2008) 2009 HHs (change from 2008)
NESN Red Sox 9.46 (-7.1%) 228,000 (-6.6%)
FS Midwest Cardinals 7.97 (1.0%) 100,000 (2.0%)
CSN Philadelphia Phillies 7.13 (24.0%) 210,000 (24.3%)
FS Detroit Tigers 6.89 (10.1%) 133,000 (9.9%)
FS North Twins 6.25 (-16.4%) 108,000 (-15.6%)
FS Wisconsin Brewers 6.16 (-17.1%) 56,000 (-15.2%)
FSN Northwest Mariners 5.20 (25.3%) 95,000 (28.4%)
YES Yankees 4.66 (10.7%) 346,000 (11.3%)
CSN Chicago Cubs 4.16 (-16.3%) 145,000 (-15.7%)
FSN Rocky Mountain Rockies 4.12 (25.6%) 63,000 (31.3%)
FS Ohio Reds 3.81 (-23.0%) 35,000 (-22.2%)
Cox/SD4 Padres 3.80 (-9.7%) 41,000 (-6.8%)
SUN Sports Rays 3.54 (NA) 65,000 (NA)
FS South Braves 3.52 (35.4%) 83,000 (38.3%)
SportSouth Braves 3.42 (34.6%) 81,000 (37.3%)
FS Florida Marlins 3.33 (-8.5%) 52,000 (-7.1%)
FS Arizona Diamondbacks 3.32 (-19.0%) 62,000 (-16.2%)
CSNBay Area Giants 3.27 (39.1%) 81,000 (42.1%)
FSN Pittsburgh Pirates 3.25 (18.2%) 38,000 (18.8%)
SunSports Marlins 3.23 (-12.9%) 50,000 (-12.3%)
FS Florida Rays 3.13 (-9.8%) 57,000 (-8.1%)
FS Kansas City Royals 3.09 (8.0%) 29,000 (7.4%)
MASN/MASN2 Orioles 2.90 (9.8%) 32,000 (10.3%)
FS Houston Astros 2.90 (-5.8%) 61,000 (-3.2%)
SportsTime Ohio Indians 2.84 (-27.4%) 43,000 (-28.3%)
SportsNet New York Mets 2.69 (-17.2%) 200,000 (-16.7%)
FS Southwest Rangers 2.54 (57.8%) 63,000 (61.5%)
CSN Chicago White Sox 2.28 (8.1%) 80,000 (9.6%)
FS Prime Ticket Dodgers 2.15 (12.0%) 122,000 (13.0%)
FS West Angels 1.22 (-10.3%) 69,000 (-10.4%)
CSN Calif ornia A’s 0.82 (-52.6%) 20,000 (-52.4%)
MASN/MASN2 Nationals 0.60 (66.7%) 14,000 (75.0%)

MLB Sees National TV Ratings Down for 2009 Regular Season

No question about it if you ask me. The company (Yankees) are the ones that have stood against it the most on the owners side for over a decade. If the George's crew steps up and makes the statement, everything else falls into place. Its automatic if you ask me.

I hate the Yankees because I was raised a Dodgers fan. That is all.

Here are the regional ratings from last year. It looks like the smaller teams are still doing pretty good and teams like the Rangers are increasing. Granted I dont know how to read any of these but it shows the order.

MLB Sees National TV Ratings Down for 2009 Regular Season

TGM,
That is true, however most of the other regional teams have national cable networks that rake in billions in revenue

TGM,
That is true, however most of the other regional teams have national cable networks that rake in billions in revenue

Yes and the Dodgers are one of them but are you saying you want to punish the teams who have their own networks. By looking at those numbers its pretty obvious that a team like the Twins or Brewers could start their own networks and do pretty good with it.
I think you and I have been here before and just have to agree to disagree. I see the game doing better than ever and you dont. I would rather talk about how the Dodgers are going to go 162-0. :D

Yes and the Dodgers are one of them but are you saying you want to punish the teams who have their own networks. By looking at those numbers its pretty obvious that a team like the Twins or Brewers could start their own networks and do pretty good with it.
I think you and I have been here before and just have to agree to disagree. I see the game doing better than ever and you dont. I would rather talk about how the Dodgers are going to go 162-0. :D

They could only do well locally. Those numbers are regionally based. There are not enough Twins or Brewers fans around the country for a national network like NESN or YES. We both know that. I dont want to punish anybody. I thought sports were about fair play in a league. To me having an unfair advantage based on location is no different than cheating. Its part of the rules and people have to accept it, but why have teams in smaller markets if they cannot succeed long term? The NFL has proved that parity works. Would the GB Packers even exist if not for it?

You did say it. Any thing else you care to add?

No, I didn't say it.

I said I don't get how anyone can be a Yankee fan. That's a personal statement.

When did I ever say you can't be a Yankee fan?

Except for Nike, he blasted the Yankee fans and then retreated and said he didn't say it. Where have we seen that before?

I wouldn't say I "blasted" anyone. I said I didn't get it and have since given reasons for it.

Along w/ a couple of others.

Try to keep up.

How can anyone like the Yankees? I don't get it. They buy whoever they want. Their roster is an all star squad.

Did someone else type what was written above? To me that says explicitly that you don't know why anyone could be a "fan" of the Yankees? To be a "fan" one must like the team correct?

No, I didn't say it.

I said I don't get how anyone can be a Yankee fan. That's a personal statement.

When did I ever say you can't be a Yankee fan?

If it's personal then why not keep it to yourself. I don't go around and make "personal statements" about anyone else's personal stances on who they do and don't support because unlike yourself I don't push my beliefs onto anyone else. Don't hide behind that cloud of personal opinion because that didn't sound like an opinion. You stated it like it was a fact. And if that's the case own up to it.

You like the Twins and hate the Yankees. I get it. I like, love and am a fan of the Yankees. Respect that.

They could only do well locally. Those numbers are regionally based. There are not enough Twins or Brewers fans around the country for a national network like NESN or YES. We both know that. I dont want to punish anybody. I thought sports were about fair play in a league. To me having an unfair advantage based on location is no different than cheating. Its part of the rules and people have to accept it, but why have teams in smaller markets if they cannot succeed long term? The NFL has proved that parity works. Would the GB Packers even exist if not for it?

I realize NESN and YES have good exposure through out the rest of the country but teams like the Brewers and Twins cover multiple states. Maybe someone from the Northwest could help us out but Im sure the Twins carry huge amounts of fans throughout the Dakotas, Nebraska, Montana and so on. Obviously they cant get as huge as YES but it could help.

I wouldn't say I "blasted" anyone. I said I didn't get it and have since given reasons for it.

Along w/ a couple of others.

Try to keep up.

You're right, blasted was a bit much.

Maybe, just maybe the Yankee fans have always been Yankee fans because they grew up in the area or their favorite players as kids were Yankees. Isn't that why your a Twins fan? It's really not hard to see why anybody would be a Yankee fan.

I know how to solve all of this. The Yanks and Sox are just going to loose.

The Jays are going to win the division with a 40 HR season by Lind followed by 30 HR seasons by Hill, Wells and Snider. With Marcum and Romero both getting 20 wins and McGowen coming back in June to get 15 wins.

The Rays will win the wild card with huge power numbers by Pena and Longoria and speed down their lineup and good starting pitching with Sheilds, Garza and Price.

:clapp:

I can dream and no one can stop me haha

You're right, blasted was a bit much.

Maybe, just maybe the Yankee fans have always been Yankee fans because they grew up in the area or their favorite players as kids were Yankees. Isn't that why your a Twins fan? It's really not hard to see why anybody would be a Yankee fan.

Yeah, I can obviously understand that.

However, the Yankee fans who DIDN'T grow up liking them or AREN'T from NY are the ones who I really don't understand why they would want to be fans.

I know a couple of guys like that. I wanted to hit them w/ a shovel when the Yankees won it last season.

However, that's just me. Everyone can like whoever they want.

Yada yada yada.

However, the Yankee fans who DIDN'T grow up liking them or AREN'T from NY are the ones who I really don't understand why they would want to be fans.

I know a couple of guys like that. I wanted to hit them w/ a shovel when the Yankees won it last season.

Couldnt the same be said for Mr. Eldrick Woods?

Couldnt the same be said for Mr. Eldrick Woods?

ha. I chuckled when I read that.

Mr. Eldrick Woods is one man who does everything himself.

How can that be compared to a team of guys who the owner put together by buying everyone he can?

While most of the competition can't compete w/ that buying power, and thus, most of the competition is then inferior.

Woods is a superior golfer because of his ability. Not because of his bank account. It's not like this is a video game, where you can purchase attributes to be a better golfer.

The Jays are going to win the division with a 40 HR season by Lind followed by 30 HR seasons by Hill, Wells and Snider. With Marcum and Romero both getting 20 wins and McGowen coming back in June to get 15 wins.

I would be willing to put money on it that Vernon Wells will be the come back player of the year. The guy was just too good to have that big of a drop off.

ha. I chuckled when I read that.

Mr. Eldrick Woods is one man who does everything himself.

I think there are a few ladies that might disagree. along with some press advisors, and an entire entourage of "owners".

Let me see if this makes sense. You dont like the Yankees because they play under "different rules" than the rest because it is legally allowed to in the game. No different than Tiger. Plays less tournaments than most, hand picks those tournaments, many say gets preferential treatment, and is always on TV.

Seems fairly identical to me.

I would be willing to put money on it that Vernon Wells will be the come back player of the year. The guy was just too good to have that big of a drop off.

Me too. Since he broke his wrist a couple of years ago he hasn't been the same. He was on anti inflammatories all last season to let him play through the problems. He said after the season ended and he stopped taking the meds he couldn't even steer his car with that hand. Now that he has had surgery and is getting the strength back he SHOULD have a good season.

Let me see if this makes sense. You dont like the Yankees because they play under "different rules" than the rest because it is legally allowed to in the game. No different than Tiger. Plays less tournaments than most, hand picks those tournaments, many say gets preferential treatment, and is always on TV.

Seems fairly identical to me.

No No No. It's not identical.

The Yankees are a team of All stars that have been bought by an owner. That alone makes the Yankees superior to pretty much ALL teams in baseball.

What has money done for Tiger Woods' golf game? Because money bought the Yankees championship last season.

How does money play into how Tiger does on the course?

I'm not talking about anything else but that. We can debate how many tournaments he should play, preferential treatment, TV coverage, etc. all day long.

No No No. It's not identical.

The Yankees are a team of All stars that have been bought by an owner. That alone makes the Yankees superior to pretty much ALL teams in baseball.

What has money done for Tiger Woods' golf game? Because money bought the Yankees championship last season.

How does money play into how Tiger does on the course?

I'm not talking about anything else but that. We can debate how many tournaments he should play, preferential treatment, TV coverage, etc. all day long.

The entire argument is based upon preferential treatment of some teams. No different than that of Tiger Woods. I get it, you like preferential treatment when it works for who you root for.

The entire argument is based upon preferential treatment of some teams. No different than that of Tiger Woods. I get it, you like preferential treatment when it works for who you root for.

haha. You're joking.

The argument is not preferential treatment.

It's about the Yankees taking total advantage of the system and buying whoever they want to assemble a team of all stars to win.

How does Tiger use money to gain any advantage on the course?

Plus, you're trying to compre a team sport like baseball to an individual sport, like golf.

You can't really do that.

haha. You're joking.

It's about the Yankees taking total advantage of the system and buying whoever they want to assemble a team of all stars to win.

How does Tiger use money to gain any advantage on the course?

Plus, you're trying to compre a team sport like baseball to an individual sport, like golf.

You can't really do that.

That is not true and you know it. The Yankees taking total advantage of the system is EXACTLY the same as Tiger taking total advantage of the system. We all know that if Tiger said "the new rule should be X number of tournaments minimum and that you have to play every event every 4 years, it would change.

No different than the Yankees. Its about money and power. Both are the most powerful in their sport.

Im not comparing two sports I am comparing two situations. I am making a point. Because we all know that when A-Rod got caught cheating you were lambasting him. And we all know that if Jeter did what Woods did, you would crucify him. My point is that you are choosing which power is allowed to circumvent systems to benefit them because it is in the rules. Woods and a few others do it on tour, and the yankees and a few others do it in MLB.

It is true, MLB bends over backwards for the Yankees.

But in sports don't you think teams or individuals will always look to push the boundaries of what the system allows them to do? Don't take a morality stance on this as you know there's very little of that left in any professional sports. It's about winning and the bottom line. Whatever people can get away with within the rules they will exploit, and that's regardless of whether it's a team sport or an individual sport.

Isn't there a phrase in NASCAR that goes, "If you're not cheating then you're not trying to win." or something to that degree. Every athlete and professional team are always looking for that edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back