Matrix TPHDe Shaft - THP Preview

Over the last year I have become a huge fan of Matrix. Each wood and hybrid in my bag has their shaft on it. I am really looking to follow this one.

That is a great looking shaft. Cant wait to hear your thoughts Dan.

I am a big matrix fan already. Can't wait to hear more results Dan.

Midway through testing, I thought it would be a great time to share some thoughts on the shaft, and how it has responded to my swing. As a foreword, I typically game a heavier X flex in my driver on account of higher than average spin rates, and the intent to maintain more control/consistency with the heavier weighting.

The TP6HDe is a 67 gram stiff shaft, however it was noted that it would play more like an X in profile. I've seen a few shafts labeled as such in my testing experiences, and there are very few that play towards X in both launch and spin characteristics, yet offer feedback similar to a stiff flex. There are plenty of shafts that are soft in the hands to allow quite a bit more of a loading sensation, but I have really made a mess of launch monitors spin rates because of that, all the while not really benefiting from the stiffer tip section.

The profile suggested by Matrix is a low/mid launch, and mid spin shaft, but I would be more inclined to rate it a low/mid spin with a mid launch. I am gaming it with a head set to 9.5 and slightly open, and when swinging well am not having any sort of ballooning issues. The ball lifts quickly to a mid launch and then hangs there, which I am fairly accustomed to seeing in a higher launch plateau.

Between the full HD tech, butt section energy transfer through AVF, consistent flex of CFI, and the exclusive Interply concept of Ozik TPHD builds, this truly is one of the most complete shafts I have ever had the opportunity to experience. I always feel like I am gaining something at the expense of another when trying to find shafts that benefit my game, but I am not sure that applies here. Simple weight adjustments to improve or slightly reduce spin might be marginally more adequate, but I think that's a major benefit to the design. Different weights and slightly different profiles for a variety of swings.

This has been a real treat. For more info on the tech mentioned above - prior to the review - feel free to have a look at http://www.matrixshafts.com/models/metal-woods/tphde-wood.html)

Certainly sounds like you're enjoying it a lot Dan. Are the results comparable to anything you have used before in different drivers?

Certainly sounds like you're enjoying it a lot Dan. Are the results comparable to anything you have used before in different drivers?

That is a lot of what I meant in discussion of shafts I have experienced that promote certain characteristics like low spin or high launch etc. They seem to soften areas to compensate, and I really don't think that's happening with this shaft profile. Surely that has a lot to do with the tech built in (AVF, Full HD, CFI, and Interply).

That is a lot of what I meant in discussion of shafts I have experienced that promote certain characteristics like low spin or high launch etc. They seem to soften areas to compensate, and I really don't think that's happening with this shaft profile. Surely that has a lot to do with the tech built in (AVF, Full HD, CFI, and Interply).

Oh ok, wasn't 100% clear on if that's what you meant at first. Here's the dangerous question for you though: Now that you've had some experience with it, would this be a shaft you would at all consider paying the upcharge to get in a future driver?

Oh ok, wasn't 100% clear on if that's what you meant at first. Here's the dangerous question for you though: Now that you've had some experience with it, would this be a shaft you would at all consider paying the upcharge to get in a future driver?

I guess it depends what is on hand at the time. If I put it up against 10 other similar shafts and it performed the best, and I had the money to spare, sure. It's shaft innovation at its' finest, and there is plenty of justification on price considering tech/materials alone.

Oh yeah it has to perform the best for it to be in consideration, not just because oh hey this is expensive so it has to be the best. The tech alone in it is incredibly impressive.

Back