Remember the Slingshots??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ball striker

Reaction score
I remember when Nike first released these back in 02 or 03 and everyone went buck wild and had to get a set. About a month later all you read about were horific reviews of what some called the worst "tire irons" they've ever swung. Well it didn't bury the company but they kind of took 2 steps back as a company. Their reputation was tarnished in other words. Glad I didn't get suckered into getting them but their adds almost had me sold. My brother was one of the idiots who bought them and he ended up selling them at a garage sale for like 40 bucks a few months later...after the warranty expired of course. They made this strange whistling noise on the downswing and the clubheads kept flying off on people. It was all sorts of effed up for Nike. Like a lab experiment gone totally wrong. Lolll

I played a halfway decent round in myrtle with rented slingshots. I hit the snot out of a sumo square driver too! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played a halfway decent round in myrtle with rented slingshots. I hit the snot out of a sumo square driver too! lol

Ouch. You rent golf clubs?? Get some sticks bro. Define halfway decent. I heard the 4 iron goes about 110 yds. Lmao

So you have no actual experience with them? Just what you "read" and "heard"?

I played them for years with zero issues of any kind. So did my dad. I hit the 5 iron 200y and they were super forgiving. I hit my current apex pro 5i about 210. So not a big difference.

So unless you have some actual user experience here, not sure your posts are worth much. I somehow played to a 2 hdcp with the "lab experiment" clubs.

^^^ I didn't say the whole world would agree with me. Obviously there's people like you that can play anything. I never said I didn't hit one....those were posts I read and reviews from other websites. I actually hit my brothers 7 iron about 90 yards so I know how badly they suck. I turned right around and hit a Top Flite 7 iron 175 yards 2 seconds later. The slingshots gave Nike a black eye in the equipment industry. Thank God they make a ton of cash on shoes(something they're good at) and can afford a muck up without bankrupting the company.

I just don't see it. The slingshots are now in my brother's bag that plays once a year. He hits the 7 iron farther than 90 yards.

Also, I never said I can play anything. The TaylorMade tour preferred MB irons were a tough go.

I seem to remember a lot if people thinking they were pretty long Irons that offered decent forgiveness. I only hit them once and didn't see any problems. They were pretty ugly though.

Ouch. You rent golf clubs?? Get some sticks bro. Define halfway decent. I heard the 4 iron goes about 110 yds. Lmao

Lots of people rent clubs when they are out of town, that's probably what he meant.

Lots of people rent clubs when they are out of town, that's probably what he meant.
That's all I need is someone else's fecal matter rubbing off the grips onto my hands..yuck. I always pack a travel bag wherever I go.

If I remember the slingshot irons and the CPR hybrids from Nike played pretty well. My FIL still uses his and does respectable with them.

I really hope this turns into a "Nike makes bad clubs" thread. Those are awesome.

If I remember the slingshot irons and the CPR hybrids from Nike played pretty well. My FIL still uses his and does respectable with them.

I really hope this turns into a "Nike makes bad clubs" thread. Those are awesome.

I have a good friend who plays to a low single digit and still games them. Different strokes

I remember them. Definitely don't remember anyone going "buck wild" to get a set. Actually, I never seen a single person game them.

I have a good friend who plays to a low single digit and still games them. Different strokes

It really is one of the greats of this game. Nothing works for everybody. We all favor different stuff.

And for what it is worth I don't think there is a 7 iron on this planet that would cost you 85 yard when struck decently.

It really is one of the greats of this game. Nothing works for everybody. We all favor different stuff.

Yup. Exactly.

A good friend of mine still plays his slingshots to this day. He won't get rid of them for anything. I'm pretty sure he hits his 7 iron a little further than 90 yards

And for what it is worth I don't think there is a 7 iron on this planet that would cost you 85 yard when struck decently.

Isn't there a saying about carpenters who blame their tools.

When I read this I can't help but reminisce about 1Player. The guy with all the hotties. Was that his name? Oh I like Nike clubs. Never hit the slingshots though.

Obviously there's tons of people out there that agree with me judging by their reviews of the slingshots but THP isn't one of them. I wonder why they all said not to buy them unless you want to be disappointed. And the clubheads keep flying off at the hosel. One thing I think we can all agree upon is they are some fockin ugly @ss golf clubs. Bwaahahahahaaa.

I played in Puerto Rico on a whim a few years ago and they had slingshots as rental clubs. In don't recall having any problems with them at all.

These were my first set of real irons. I loved them.

TTing
Ouch I'm sorry to hear that. While I agree that the slingshots are geared for 40+ cappers and beginners, there are better offerings to be had out there. But the slingshots were dirt cheap at most stores so if you're on a budget I guess your hands are tied.

Ouch I'm sorry to hear that. While I agree that the slingshots are geared for 40+ cappers and beginners, there are better offerings to be had out there. But the slingshots were dirt cheap at most stores so if you're on a budget I guess your hands are tied.

Thainer is a pretty good golfer. He may be Canadian. But he is solid. He probably watched you pitch for the Jays.

You're sorry for what? I'm not sorry.

They weren't "budget" irons and they were just standard GI irons just like any other set. Yes they made a slight whoosh of air but nothing that should've screwed anyone up over.

The slingshots with the heads flying off were actually the 2007(I think) slingshots. They didn't make the whoosh of air. That was a bad batch of epoxy unfortunately that every major OEM has gone through. You've tried to insult many people in this thread and I just don't see why.

Get me a set of these slingshots for the $40 you speak of. I'll give you 10 strokes and I'll buy you a brand new set of wedges if you win.

Deal?

TTing

Lots of pretty weak assumptions in this post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back