My journey to a better game!

Since my lack luster golf in HHI my scores are dropping, shooting mid 90's. last night was 96 with 4 pens, I'm trying to play smarter around the course and let the driver fly when I can get away with it.

One thing I have been doing that I stopped last night was standing over the ball too long making sure I was perfectly aligned set up for every shot including putting which was causing me some issues. Last night was more point and shoot and it proved to much more accurate overall than me trying to be set up perfect and creating tension in my body before the shot.

Great Job Man!!! Keep that good praticing up and those numbers will fall for you. I imagine you and me are almost at the same handicap so I am going through the same thing you are. One of the keys for me right now is me working on my short game as much as I can. You get your short game down you will be golden!!
I have played and practiced a lot since my last update. My scoring is getting better and I am shooting under my HC almost every time while leaving strokes on the course, my net scores have been at or under par. I'm still not as accurate of the tee with driver as I would like but its coming along slowly.

My biggest struggle is staying short with the backswing on the course but that is becoming more and more consistent. One thing that has helped me with this is keeping my feet from getting to wide, if I keep them shoulder width apart my swing stays shorter than if my feet are set wider where I tend to over turn and let the hands keep going.

If I can limit some dumb mistakes on the course and get the long game firing on all cylinders the score will drop into the high 80's, some short game work and putting will bring me to the mids.

Coers I started the year at a 28.4 and am determined to get below a 15. shortgame can definitely use some work as I should be one putting more often when I miss the green but getting off the tee properly seems like a it is costing me more than the short game.

Yeah my first revision of the year was a 19.1 and my plans are to get to a 10 hanicap. I shot a 88 this week and looking forward to more scores in the 80's. Been busting my butt on the short game and the other night had my driver slice fixed so I am hoping that can cut some scores down real low. Will find out after work today on this beautiful day.
Coers I started the year at a 28.4 and am determined to get below a 15. shortgame can definitely use some work as I should be one putting more often when I miss the green but getting off the tee properly seems like a it is costing me more than the short game.

Yeah my first revision of the year was a 19.1 and my plans are to get to a 10 hanicap. I shot a 88 this week and looking forward to more scores in the 80's. Been busting my butt on the short game and the other night had my driver slice fixed so I am hoping that can cut some scores down real low. Will find out after work today on this beautiful day.

you can get there as well as I can I'm gunning for 10 or lower by end of yr. I fixed the slice and now have a hook/pull miss.

We will see how how we both do in a couple weeks in Orlando, maybe some competition on sat?

Shoot low tonight.

Yeah that would be good to see where we are down there. I have never played golf down there so Idk what will happen. hoping for the best and yes I try my hardest to shoot a low score tonight.
you can get there as well as I can I'm gunning for 10 or lower by end of yr. I fixed the slice and now have a hook/pull miss.

We will see how how we both do in a couple weeks in Orlando, maybe some competition on sat?

Shoot low tonight.

Doing good .. Try breaking the score card down into a set of 3 holes . Set a goal of 1 par on this 3 hole break down and allow for 2 bogeys . Makes it easier to focus on a 3 hole set vs 18 holes

I haven't updated this in a couple weeks but I have gotten my scores to consistently in the mid 90's and if I can avoid a couple blow up holes in during the round I will be under 90 easily. Short game needs some serious attention and will get it with a lesson here soon.

Saturday I posted a PB for a THP event of 96 and the first time I had seen the course. I started rough real rough at +9 after three but fought back to play bogey golf overall, had a couple more blowup holes but walked away pleased. Not sure what the score was on Sunday but it wasn't great on my part.

I still have a couple swing flaws that show their ugly head every now and then and cause a train wreck. My scores are coming down and with some minor tweaks I will be well on my way to my goals.

Glad to hear all the hard work is paying off! Keep it up! Hope to tee it up with you sometime in the near future.

For my own swing, I realize that just three things will make a big difference this year:
1) Playing more than 9 hole/week
2) actually practicing on a regular basis - and with some focus & goals in mind
3) learning how far I hit each club (on average) - including partial shots with wedges.

I've only been able to spend a limited amount of time on 50-yard wedge shots & in, and it's already led to a sub-50 nine-hole score (which for me early in the year is great) without hitting the ball all that well.

Keep posting! It does help to push myself to get better when I read through threads like this!

Good Stuff Jason!

I can't wait till we tee it up this year!

Thought I should post in here I have been putting in work on the range/home/work and the course. I have really been working on getting my back swing length to be consistent throughout the bag and making a connected swing through the ball, getting the drive to point where it wasn't costing me shots was a big focus as well.

I did a lot of drills and shadow boxing focusing on turning on a bent right knee while getting the weight transfer back to the right leg and then through the ball. I can't go too far(long)in the back swing when I keep some bend in my right knee and load my weight onto the inside of my right foot.

I was seeing some improvements here and there but not as consistently as I would have liked, but some things started clicking my last couple rounds. I was feeling some fantastic shots and was putting things together in my head and physically. On those swings that I knew were right, the ball jumped off the club face and I heard the distinct hiss or rush of the ball slicing through the air and the ball held a boring trajectory and I was hitting the ball a club and a half to two clubs farther than what was normal for me. It was unreal but I had a hard time trusting the #'s and ended up going long on numerous greens and put myself in some new positions off the tee with irons.

I finally told myself I just had to have confidence in the swing, the yardages and play the game with them until proven that they were false.

This lead to Sundays round I had no goals no expectations but to play the swing I have been working on and play the yardages I had been seeing. This lead to me questioning club selection as I was playing almost 2 clubs longer with irons and wedges but I trusted the numbers and hit the first green beneath the hole(par4), repeat on the 2nd(par3), went long on the 3rd(par4), Long on 4(par5), on in two on 5, 6 & 7, birdie 8(par3), doubled 9 after a terrible tee shot(topped) and lipping the bogie putt- I finished the front in 39 I have never shot under a 43 for 9 holes and I suddenly post a 39 that if I wouldn't have lipped a 2footer would have been a 38. Not every shot was perfect not every green was hit in the perfect place but some good wedge play and great putting especially lag putting made it happen. With the exception of one tee ball(#9) all left me in good to exceptional position. I only hit something other than Driver on 1 hole and it was 3 a 340 par 4 so a 4i was the perfect selection on the tight hazard filled hole.

I played the back 9 in 43 with two doubles and 3 bogies, the doubles were mental mistakes on tight unforgiving holes.

I posted a PB of 82 on a 6400 yard course and I missed eagles, birdies and made par on 3 of the courses Par5's that I made in two. I am excited to break into the 80's and to have that first score as a low 80's round, but it's frightening to me to have such a dramatic drop in score so abruptly.

So since my miracle 82 I haven't posted a score near the 80's lowest I had gotten was a 93. So I got in for two lessons in the last two weeks and the video quickly showed what flaws I was dealing with and we began working through some drills to get them fixed.

-first issue is me straightening my right leg during the back swing (not a new issue)

-second is a waggle I've got at the top of the swing, that allows the club to go across the line and causes me to come down steep off plane before getting back on plane right about hip level

- third issue is me not keeping my right heel on the ground at impact, this is caused partial by #1 and me recovering from it to be right at impact

The lessons and drills worked along with some new sticks that fit me shaft wise this weekend, as I posted a 45/45 for a 90 in tough wind conditions at Rum Point, a 88 with a 10 on 17 at the lighthouse and then an 85 46/39 at Rum Point in the shamble.

My ball striking has proved vastly and having shafts in my 3wd and hybo that fit gave me great back up options off the tee and deck. Pounding the driver is now one of my most favorite things after this weekend.

Hopefully lower scores are ahead of me and I'm looking forward to working on my short game and dialing in my wedges.

Hey Jason, great playing with you saturday. Keep up the good work. You hit the ball really well, and i see your handicap trending down in the future. Great thread too.

Brian it was a pleasure playing with you Sat and you have game and sell yourself short on how far you hit it.

You are correct the handicap should be trending down in a big way here real soon.

I wish I could played the greens better on the front for our team.

No worries, you made your fair share of pars on the back nine. That was a great run, and it was fun to watch.

So since my miracle 82 I haven't posted a score near the 80's lowest I had gotten was a 93. So I got in for two lessons in the last two weeks and the video quickly showed what flaws I was dealing with and we began working through some drills to get them fixed.

-first issue is me straightening my right leg during the back swing (not a new issue)

-second is a waggle I've got at the top of the swing, that allows the club to go across the line and causes me to come down steep off plane before getting back on plane right about hip level

- third issue is me not keeping my right heel on the ground at impact, this is caused partial by #1 and me recovering from it to be right at impact

The lessons and drills worked along with some new sticks that fit me shaft wise this weekend, as I posted a 45/45 for a 90 in tough wind conditions at Rum Point, a 88 with a 10 on 17 at the lighthouse and then an 85 46/39 at Rum Point in the shamble.

My ball striking has proved vastly and having shafts in my 3wd and hybo that fit gave me great back up options off the tee and deck. Pounding the driver is now one of my most favorite things after this weekend.

Hopefully lower scores are ahead of me and I'm looking forward to working on my short game and dialing in my wedges.

Great job so far! It's nice when you can be confident about hitting driver off a tee! Keep up the good work! Hopefully we'll be able to tee it up together in October at Pine Lakes (if not sooner).

Sounds like the game is coming around based on those scores, keep up the great work!

Great job so far! It's nice when you can be confident about hitting driver off a tee! Keep up the good work! Hopefully we'll be able to tee it up together in October at Pine Lakes (if not sooner).

It really is a game changer to be confident off the tee box

Sounds like the game is coming around based on those scores, keep up the great work!

Thanks Mike it really is coming along playing new courses in some tough conditions and posting 3 good scores is proof in the pudding that the game is coming around.

I'm excited to get out in my course and see what I can do there with familiar greens and lay out.

I got some short game work to do to dial it in and will see the scores continue to drop.

Back