Calloused & Sore Hands

Stribs

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Do you suffer from calloused or sore hands following your round of golf?

I've noticed in my two THP events this year that my hands get super sore in various places following the round. By the third round in Indy I could barely grip the club, let alone swing it without hurting. The same goes for Ocean City but this time the soreness starting in only my second round. As for callouses that are probably contributing to some of the pain, what sort of solutions have you found that help with the soreness during a round?

Does tape help? Would a new glove help? Does changing the way you grip the club work (I currently interlock).

I do. Tape definitely helps.

Hawk, what tape do you use? Just standard athletic tape? I'm thinking I want to bring some down to the MC with me, just in case.

Yep just the normal stuff. Whatever i can find at home.

I use Bionic gloves, with cushioning. Are you gripping too tightly? I've put a lot of thought into keeping a looser grip. My hands have thanked me.

Bionic gloves will certainly help you as will the "working hands" cream they sell at walmart for recovery. It's in a green tin.

TTing

I use Bionic gloves, with cushioning. Are you gripping too tightly? I've put a lot of thought into keeping a looser grip. My hands have thanked me.

yup I've done the bionic glove thing too. Used tape as well.

I would honestly say that my grip is pretty darn light. I may every once in a while grip it just a tad bit tighter depending on the shot, but overall I would say it's pretty loose.

Please no "that's what she said jokes, Tyler!"

I'll look into that glove. Thanks for the recommendation.

I've got calluses on my hands but they don't hurt at all. I've got tape in my bag if they ever do start to hurt but so far haven't needed it.

I always keep a roll of athletic tape in the bag, just in case.

Callouses seem to pop up for me earlier in the golf season or after I haven't played/hit balls in a while. But playing for several days in a row can also cause a blister to form. Just part of the game for me.

this is a terrible problem for me, as i've got a problem with my hands carcking even when i'm not playing golf, but the problem is exacerbated after a round. I think I've finally found the cure, atleast for me. One, I do use a bionic glove on my left hand, which i really have no issue with. every night i use this hand cream my wife has that i think is called Amazing Grace (hey, it smells pretty too!) . But the real trick that i think has been helping, and picked this up from these forums, though i can't remember who, is this stuff called Badger Balm that i picked up at Amazon, which almost looks like shoe polish. For me, it seems almost preventative, as opposed to something you'd use after to treat blisters/chaffing. I put a generous amount on about an hour or so before hand. It's initially very greasy, but dries up quick. And since I've been doing that, I've been dealing with my less severe issues, which used to really limit my ability to play more than one day in a row.

Eric as you saw I use tape on my high wear areas and my hands are quite calloused from lots of swings.

Part of what I think your seeing with the soreness is from over working your hands. You said you play 9 a week in your league, but we hit the range Friday then played 18 then you hit a few on the range in the afternoon, more range sat and then another 18.

The muscles in the hand are small and are easily overworked.

this is a terrible problem for me, as i've got a problem with my hands carcking even when i'm not playing golf, but the problem is exacerbated after a round. I think I've finally found the cure, atleast for me. One, I do use a bionic glove on my left hand, which i really have no issue with. every night i use this hand cream my wife has that i think is called Amazing Grace (hey, it smells pretty too!) . But the real trick that i think has been helping, and picked this up from these forums, though i can't remember who, is this stuff called Badger Balm that i picked up at Amazon, which almost looks like shoe polish. For me, it seems almost preventative, as opposed to something you'd use after to treat blisters/chaffing. I put a generous amount on about an hour or so before hand. It's initially very greasy, but dries up quick. And since I've been doing that, I've been dealing with my less severe issues, which used to really limit my ability to play more than one day in a row.

Great info here! Your solution has definitely caught my interest.

It's also good to have nice smelling hands, too! Haha

Recently I have had the same problem, my non glove hand was giving my so much trouble / pain that I had trouble finishing the round. I now use tape (the gauze, self sticking tape around my middle and ring fingers at the bottom where the callous is) and I no longer have pain....

I play a lot of golf, and do so without a glove most times. Callouses? Sure, I've got them. Sore hands though? I haven't experienced that yet. The more I seem to golf without a glove, the tougher my hands seem to get.

...then again, there's always the Moises Alou approach.

I have a callous on the top joint of my right ring finger. For some reason there just appears to be abnormal friction in that area from my swing. I use athletic tape to keep irritation down and use my wife's callous remover to keep it as minimal as possible.

I usually sand down, but don't remove, my callouses. Prevents them from getting ripped off, and keeps the areas tougher and prevents blisters.

I had a big problem with calloused and blistered hands when I first started. I found that I was simply having too aggressive of a grip. Since then I have pretty significantly reduced the problem. I still have callouses at the base of each of my fingers on my left hand, as well as along the right side of my left index finger (Right handed golfer). Otherwise, not really.

I do..death grip and lots of range time. I don't suffer from blisters like I used to but I definitely have a couples callouses.

Blisters are bad. Their a sign of something done wrong IMO. Callouses are a sign of effort

I have built up callouss on my hands and if i don't take care of them they will split and that cause some serious pain

Got a nice blister on my right ring finger at the moment hurts like a son of gun! I was calloused hands and have ever since I was chucking Pepsi cases right out of high school. I am use to those but the blisters that pop up they hurt. My wife has me use these gloves and puts Vaseline in there and it helps immensely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you suffer from calloused or sore hands following your round of golf?

I've noticed in my two THP events this year that my hands get super sore in various places following the round. By the third round in Indy I could barely grip the club, let alone swing it without hurting. The same goes for Ocean City but this time the soreness starting in only my second round. As for callouses that are probably contributing to some of the pain, what sort of solutions have you found that help with the soreness during a round?

Does tape help? Would a new glove help? Does changing the way you grip the club work (I currently interlock).

you could try golfing without a glove. Since I stopped using a glove I rarely get blisters

I used to have two different issues related to the hands:
1) Badly ripped up skin
2) Aches after the round

For problem #1, I use two gloves. It looks a little odd, but it solves the problem. Yes, the left glove protects the palm, and that's where you get a lot of friction, but there are also those spots on the right hand. I never understood why people would willingly wear the left handed glove, but not the right handed one.

For problem #2, I fixed my grip. This was much harder. My hands have thanked me and I'm also hitting most things straighter.

Back