I find myself pushing harder and harder on my bike. My neighbor and I do a loop it's 25.8 miles. He's into cycling, and thank god he takes it easy on me. But we do it for time. Tonight's ride was our fastest yet. Averaging a little over 14 mph. Which won't qualify for any races, but it feels good. My climbing legs are coming around slowly, and I've noticed less of a need for oxygen lol.

I find myself pushing harder and harder on my bike. My neighbor and I do a loop it's 25.8 miles. He's into cycling, and thank god he takes it easy on me. But we do it for time. Tonight's ride was our fastest yet. Averaging a little over 14 mph. Which won't qualify for any races, but it feels good. My climbing legs are coming around slowly, and I've noticed less of a need for oxygen lol.

That's a solid loop, Kevin. What kind of cadence are you spinning at, any idea?

Having met you, I think you would be quite able to build on that speed.

Ever use Strava (free app for smartphones) to gauge your rides?

That's a solid loop, Kevin. What kind of cadence are you spinning at, any idea?

Having met you, I think you would be quite able to build on that speed.

Ever use Strava (free app for smartphones) to gauge your rides?

no idea on the cadence.

Im riding a hybrid bike for now, if I find that I continue to enjoy riding I'll be moving to a road bike. Endorphin rush when your climbing hills and keeping a good pace is pretty cool.

never used it, it I saw you mentioned it earlier. I'll have to try it out.

no idea on the cadence.

Im riding a hybrid bike for now, if I find that I continue to enjoy riding I'll be moving to a road bike. Endorphin rush when your climbing hills and keeping a good pace is pretty cool.

never used it, it I saw you mentioned it earlier. I'll have to try it out.

Try it out. Kind of cool to look at your ride and see where you worked hard and see where you took it easy.

Hills? We don't have those down here. Hehe

Check this fat tire bike out I saw on FB. Thing is sick

zuzu6una.jpg

I sold mine today. :(

Fat bikes are going crazy right now. It's hard to keep up with all the changes.

Im just now getting back into cycling, this mongoose 10 speed is not what I was hoping it was though. That, or cycling is a lot harder than I remember.

Im just now getting back into cycling, this mongoose 10 speed is not what I was hoping it was though. That, or cycling is a lot harder than I remember.

road bike or mountain? How old is it? If it's a road bike and it's literally 10 speeds, that's pretty old! Now if it's a 10-speed cassette not so bad. Unfortunately, Mongoose has become a lower end brand in recent years. They were awesome when I was a kid. I always wanted one.

road bike or mountain? How old is it? If it's a road bike and it's literally 10 speeds, that's pretty old! Now if it's a 10-speed cassette not so bad. Unfortunately, Mongoose has become a lower end brand in recent years. They were awesome when I was a kid. I always wanted one.

Mountain Bike. Its a b*tch to cycle up even the smallest of inclines, no matter what gear. I wanted to cycle back and forth to work to get some cardio, however, I can barely make it two blocks.

I have a knock-off brand (Windsor Kennet) road machine, but she has full Ultegra hardware and an aluminum/carbon frame and she is pretty fast. But, I have been lazy the past couple years and she has been just leaning up against the wall.

Well, my back has been acting up again lately due to my laziness, so a few days ago I dusted her off, slapped some new tires on, and hit the road. Only did a 15mi loop, but holy crap my butt hurt the next day! But, it is really good to be out there again going fast.

BTW War, I have a beautiful Raleigh 10spd all original components, fully lugged frame, circa 1980s, in like-new condition. Any idea what it might be worth?

I have a knock-off brand (Windsor Kennet) road machine, but she has full Ultegra hardware and an aluminum/carbon frame and she is pretty fast. But, I have been lazy the past couple years and she has been just leaning up against the wall.

Well, my back has been acting up again lately due to my laziness, so a few days ago I dusted her off, slapped some new tires on, and hit the road. Only did a 15mi loop, but holy crap my butt hurt the next day! But, it is really good to be out there again going fast.

BTW War, I have a beautiful Raleigh 10spd all original components, fully lugged frame, circa 1980s, in like-new condition. Any idea what it might be worth?

The pains of cycling, spending time in the saddle is the only way to overcome that pain. Get a quick saddle fit at your local bike shop to ensure your sit bones are in the right spot on your saddle.

As far as the Raleigh goes, what components are we talking? Campy?

Last edited:
The pains of cycling, spending time in the saddle is the only way to overcome that pain. Get a quick saddle for at your local bike shop to ensure your sit bones are in the right spot on your saddle.

As far as the Raleigh goes, what components are we talking? Campy?

What is a quick saddle, is that a brand?

The Raleigh is up in my attic, I will go fetch it and get as much info as I can and get back to you, probably take some pics and maybe put her up WTS on a bike forum..

The Raleigh is up in my attic, I will go fetch it and get as much info as I can and get back to you, probably take some pics and maybe put her up WTS on a bike forum..

I think he meant a quick saddle "fit" to make sure it fits. Padded shorts help too.

I think he meant a quick saddle "fit" to make sure it fits. Padded shorts help too.
Indeed, it was a typo. Meant to say get a quick fit for a saddle.

Hmmm, how does a saddle fit work? I'm starting to imagine all sorts of things...

My current saddle is razor thin with almost no padding. Don't even want to think how it would feel without padded shorts.

It has to do with sitting on a board to determine the width of your "sit bones". There are different widths based on how your hips measure.

It has to do with sitting on a board to determine the width of your "sit bones". There are different widths based on how your hips measure.

Ahhh...thanks. All these years enduring sore butts and I never knew. I do have a great little LBS near me...

Ahhh...thanks. All these years enduring sore butts and I never knew. I do have a great little LBS near me...
Exactly what Bubba said. You sit on an assometer (not the technical name), it measures the width of your sit bones and determines what size saddle you should be on based on bone structure.

Runtastic is giving away a free bike.

Here's a link:
http://woobox.com/mkpdo3/91hj5k

Disclaimer: Following that link gives me a bonus entry, just search runtastic on facebook.

ESPN next "30 for 30" episode is called "Slaying the Badger" based on Greg LeMond". DVRing for sure!

ESPN next "30 for 30" episode is called "Slaying the Badger" based on Greg LeMond". DVRing for sure!

I was just gonna post this! it's a shame that Greg LeMond is not more popular with the US public. Lance Armstrong stole most of his thunder, but LeMond was always the better rider. If he hadn't been accidentally shot while turkey hunting, he would've won two more Tours de France, and his team forced him to slow down in 1985 & give the win to Bernard Hinault - so he realistically should've won at least 6 TdF - all without doping or cheating. I saw him race indoors on a velodrome when he was still a teenager - guy was an absolute beast!

The funny thing about him (to me) was - here was an American with a French sounding name ("luh-MOND") but in France they called him "LEMON-d" (like the fruit with a d on the end. My French teacher had no idea why (he was over there covering the race for US papers).

Got this DVR'd & will definitely have my kids watch it too.

Back