Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
amazon had a kindle special on them the other day. They were silly cheap. By the time I saw the deal they were sold out of their stock for that price.

Woot had a HP model with a 2 year data plan the other day for 188.00.

Chromebooks are a crazy good idea honestly for someone looking at a new laptop. Unless you need more powerful applications for photos and games, Google has really hit the a home run.

Nice, makes me feel better about the purchase.

Will be used for web browsing and video watching - about it.

Have a feeling I'll be getting another one for my wife shortly if we both like this one.

Chromebooks are a crazy good idea honestly for someone looking at a new laptop. Unless you need more powerful applications for photos and games, Google has really hit the a home run.

I've had my Chromebook for almost a year now and I absolutely love it. Have never had a problem and is perfect for my needs.

Woot had a HP model with a 2 year data plan the other day for 188.00.

just looked it up, it was the Acer Chromebook for $59. Wish I saw it earlier.

A Samsung curved UHDTV. Hoping for a little price drop by end of year.

A Samsung curved UHDTV. Hoping for a little price drop by end of year.

I saw a lot of these new TV's at CES in January and they were impressive. However, with so limited content to take advantage of the 4K, I still see these TV's as an unnecessary luxury for the time being.

I saw a lot of these new TV's at CES in January and they were impressive. However, with so limited content to take advantage of the 4K, I still see these TV's as an unnecessary luxury for the time being.

Completely agree! Until 4K becomes the norm I probably will not make the jump especially with the current prices.

We will probably jump on the Vizio P series when it comes out. We need a new tv and might as well get one that's 4k ready since they seem to last 5 years or so.

Forget about 4K. I saw a World Cup match and the picture was insane. It's pricey now but on my mind for xmas time.

In serious ponder mode for one of these:

http://www.channelmaster.com/Products_s/329.htm

My wife (and I, too) love having a DVR so that is her big block to dropping Comcrap cable and going OTA. Sounds like with recent system updates to this Channel Master DVR that it works well and could be a nice way to cut the chord but still get programming from CBS (everything else I could get through Hulu+). This way we'd save money over time and still be able to watch Big Bang Theory on the TV. And local sports. That's the biggie for me, otherwise I'd be ok with just Netflix and Hulu alone, no antenna needed.

Wouldnt you be better off buying a TIVO and an antenna.
Proven Track Record
Can record multiple channels with tiny unseen antenna
Tons of space
Works like a charm and integrates with Hulu and other services.

Need a "mifi" option as travel seems to be increasing and Tmobile just doesnt have the coverage I need outside the metro areas. What are you guys using?

Need a "mifi" option as travel seems to be increasing and Tmobile just doesnt have the coverage I need outside the metro areas. What are you guys using?

Had one for VZW and cancelled it. FoxFi works for me, but alas I am on VZW with my phone.

Wouldnt you be better off buying a TIVO and an antenna.
Proven Track Record
Can record multiple channels with tiny unseen antenna
Tons of space
Works like a charm and integrates with Hulu and other services.

Tivo still has a monthly fee ($15/mo?). I'd need an antenna either way. This one will record two channels at once, and if you're creative you can watch a third at the same time, it seems. External hard drive to whatever storage capacity you like. Currently integrates with Vudu but they are adding to more big services in December and another in early 2015 (guessing Netflix and who knows what else). Either way, we have a Roku for streaming anything else. I'm just looking for an OTA TV recording solution that doesn't involve my iMac on the other side of the living room. Assuming they work roughly the same the Channel Master would be more cost effective in the long run due to the lack of monthly fee. I'm not opposed to Tivo, however, if it is superior. I just don't watch enough TV to warrant the constant $125+ per month for Comcrap cable.

Are you using an existing mobile broadband device like a USB stick?

Tivo still has a monthly fee ($15/mo?). I'd need an antenna either way. This one will record two channels at once, and if you're creative you can watch a third at the same time, it seems. External hard drive to whatever storage capacity you like. Currently integrates with Vudu but they are adding to more big services in December and another in early 2015 (guessing Netflix and who knows what else). Either way, we have a Roku for streaming anything else. I'm just looking for an OTA TV recording solution that doesn't involve my iMac on the other side of the living room. Assuming they work roughly the same the Channel Master would be more cost effective in the long run due to the lack of monthly fee. I'm not opposed to Tivo, however, if it is superior. I just don't watch enough TV to warrant the constant $125+ per month for Comcrap cable.

You can purchase TIVO units online that come with a lifetime package.

Heavy ponder on a note 3. My phone has sucked for awhile and I want something with great battery life, an area mine is severely lacking. JB said he liked his note 2 so I'm hoping the note 3 is even better.

Heavy ponder on a note 3. My phone has sucked for awhile and I want something with great battery life, an area mine is severely lacking. JB said he liked his note 2 so I'm hoping the note 3 is even better.

I actually have the Note 3 buddy. Love it.

Well even better. I figure if I'm not bringing a laptop to myrtle in July, a mini tablet sized phone might help.

A guy at work as the note 3 and was trying to show me the golf specific mode for the video camera? Have you used it and is it beneficial or just a gimmick? 120 fps video would be nice when reviewing my swing.

You can purchase TIVO units online that come with a lifetime package.

Like the Roamio? Looks like $499 for no monthly fee. Fee-version is $199 on the Tivo website with $14.99/mo. So it would pay for itself in around 20 months...

Like the Roamio? Looks like $499 for no monthly fee. Fee-version is $199 on the Tivo website with $14.99/mo. So it would pay for itself in around 20 months...

I have the ROAMIO and love it. I was referring to older options that can be had for much less and work great with antenna. However the Roamio would be the best option if one has no issue doing the 20 month thing. Its an incredible unit.

I have the ROAMIO and love it. I was referring to older options that can be had for much less and work great with antenna. However the Roamio would be the best option if one has no issue doing the 20 month thing. Its an incredible unit.

Cool. We only have one tv. Their website only lists the Roamio as antenna compatible which is why I mentioned that model. If there's an older and cheaper version that works that's even better - more golf money. :) Shhhh, don't tell my wife ha

Are you using an existing mobile broadband device like a USB stick?

No just tethering my phone

Had one for VZW and cancelled it. FoxFi works for me, but alas I am on VZW with my phone.

So are you finding much dead area in all your travels using your phone as a hotspot?

No just tethering my phone

So are you finding much dead area in all your travels using your phone as a hotspot?

Outside of Ocean City, which has the worst cell service for all carriers it seems, none at all. The mifi gave us more issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back