The yard work thread

We must have hauled 150lbs of branches that fell during winter down to the ravine this weekend. Stupid trees.

We're finally getting some green stuff growing in the back yard, mostly weeds but covering the rocks at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wake - that's the safe bet. A fescue mix like Rebels could do better than most other grasses in low sun areas, but ultimately you'll still be dealing with the established tree roots that steal valuable water and nutrients from the soil.

Pretty sure fescue is a no go in the FL climate. It seems St Augustine would be my best option, but talking to multiple neighbors, they have tried sodding repeatedly in similar areas with no luck.

The majority of my front lawn gets enough light to get a decent turf going I think.

Pretty sure fescue is a no go in the FL climate. It seems St Augustine would be my best option, but talking to multiple neighbors, they have tried sodding repeatedly in similar areas with no luck.

The majority of my front lawn gets enough light to get a decent turf going I think.

Ah didn't realize you were in Florida.

Plantings near oaks is very difficult. They naturally release tannin into the soil as a defense mechanism. Raised beds near mature oaks helps but you have to be careful because it can cause damage to the root system of the tree.

Have 3 major yard projects that I am hoping to get through this year. Have started on the first which is building a small allan block wall and gutting the front garden. It was planted far too dense with different bushes and shrubs and already very well established when we first moved in. They are all just choking each other out and not looking very good doing it.

Well, I moved earlier this year into town.

Just renting a house with a friend, the lawn is atrocious and driving me nuts, so I went and got some seed and fertilizer.

It needs a ton of work. But I don't want to spend a lot of money, we'll see how this goes.

~Don't practice til you get it right, Practice til you can't get it wrong~

I had a lawn mowing business when I was an early teenager and somehow I don't have a love of yard work other than cutting down trees. I actually just hired a gardner to do all the spring cleanup, sprinkler repair, and install new bark. It was money well spent.

I had to skip playing golf on Saturday to mow because of all the rain we were supposed to get (and did get) every day beginning on Sunday. The rain is supposed to be done now, but I needed to mow early last week, and it would have been a mess had I waited!

e5u5ynej.jpg

Took 3 years of hard work and patience but it was worth it

ury6aby7.jpg

Big improvement. Very nice!!

Took 3 years of hard work and patience but it was worth it

Very nice man. I am coming to the end of a similar battle. Not a blade of grass to be found in the front or back, just moss and weeds when we bought the place.

That is impressive jlukes!

That is a lawn worth yelling at kids to stay off of :angry:

That lawn is awesome! I tried to do that 2 years ago and had zero success keeping the moss at bay. Whatever soil conditions I have moss thrives on it.

I want to get an artificial lawn put in, but I have no doubt that I can't afford it.

Nice lawn jlukes.

~Don't practice til you get it right, Practice til you can't get it wrong~

Okay, I have something growing in my fescue/rye lawn and I want it gone.

What is it and how to I kill it.?

8u2ubudy.jpg

byme8eva.jpg

Does anyone know of a good medium shade grass that can withstand dogs, by which I mean lots of dog pee? On our quarter acre I have 20 trees, so sunlight is at a premium. I really dont want to sink much money into it, but would prefer to get it into a condition that it'll actually help the home resale value. I guess I could overseed each year with ryegrass.

I'll be disking up quite a bit of the yard around the new house place this weekend. All of the gravel trucks and concrete trucks did a number on the ground, so I plan to disk it up, then borrow a pto tiller from my neighbor and really get things nice and smooth. If I can catch some rain in the forecast, I may put out some grass seed. If not, I'll probably wait till next spring and lay some sod.

Looks like I have a bunch of yard to do in the coming weeks. My wife hit up a nursery auction over the weekend and I am now the "proud" owner of 10 Live Oaks. We'll (I'll) be planting 5 of them and then no clue what to do with the others. But they were cheap according to her.:angry:

Looks like I have a bunch of yard to do in the coming weeks. My wife hit up a nursery auction over the weekend and I am now the "proud" owner of 10 Live Oaks. We'll (I'll) be planting 5 of them and then no clue what to do with the others. But they were cheap according to her.:angry:
Is this payback for a golf purchase you made in the past? :wink:

I'll be disking up quite a bit of the yard around the new house place this weekend. All of the gravel trucks and concrete trucks did a number on the ground, so I plan to disk it up, then borrow a pto tiller from my neighbor and really get things nice and smooth. If I can catch some rain in the forecast, I may put out some grass seed. If not, I'll probably wait till next spring and lay some sod.

Best time to lay down seed is the fall when temps cool abit but soil stays above 55, your need a minimum of 60days before first frost

I personally enjoy yard work and now that I have some more time to devote to the yard. I am going to be putting in a patio also this summer

I will eventually plant a Live Oak around hour place somewhere. I dang sure don't want 10 of them though! Right now I've still got several trees in pots that I'm going to wait and plant this winter.
Already this spring/summer I've planted a few chestnuts, a pink dogwood, a cherry tree and two truck loads of daffodils.

Back