Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

The apex irons were butter today. Aside from the 5 and 6 they were performing beautifully today. They just feel soooo good and I'm getting a nice high draw from the tour v shafts. I'm not losing any distance...maybe gaining a couple yards honestly. I'm having issues pushing the 6 and the 5 is all over the place but that's typical of any 5 iron I have ever hit. Just something about it.

Anyway. These continue to impress and they are 100x better than my xhp's and I thought that was impossible.

Let's do it again tomorrow!

The apex irons were butter today. Aside from the 5 and 6 they were performing beautifully today. They just feel soooo good and I'm getting a nice high draw from the tour v shafts. I'm not losing any distance...maybe gaining a couple yards honestly. I'm having issues pushing the 6 and the 5 is all over the place but that's typical of any 5 iron I have ever hit. Just something about it.

Anyway. These continue to impress and they are 100x better than my xhp's and I thought that was impossible.

As loft goes down irons become more difficult to control, but have you considered using a shorter shaft on the 5 and 6 iron? It seems that around the 5 or 6 iron some companies increase the gap in shaft length. I personally prefer having lower lofts and shorter shafts to get the gaps I need in a set of irons. For me 38" to 38.5" in any iron becomes the point where solid contact is compromised. I am sure you were fitted though and in that case I'm not sure what the issue would be.

You had the DG S300 shafts in your XHPs right? How do the Tour Vs compare?

As loft goes down irons become more difficult to control, but have you considered using a shorter shaft on the 5 and 6 iron? It seems that around the 5 or 6 iron some companies increase the gap in shaft length. I personally prefer having lower lofts and shorter shafts to get the gaps I need in a set of irons. For me 38" to 38.5" in any iron becomes the point where solid contact is compromised. I am sure you were fitted though and in that case I'm not sure what the issue would be.

I'm sure lack of skill is some of the issue but I was fitted to my old irons at standard length. I will choke down on them tomorrow and see how it goes. I'll spend a little more range time with them before the round as well. The 5 iron has always been my nemesis. I should probably consider a 5 hybrid honestly.

You had the DG S300 shafts in your XHPs right? How do the Tour Vs compare?

I did yes. The tour v is lighter by 20 grams (110 vs 130) and launches a bit higher for me. Not too high though (like the px 95 did). I really, really like the launch I am getting. They also feel much better (less harsh) but that may be a combo of the apex and tour v.

I am extremely happy that I switched to the apex and the tour v.

I'm sure lack of skill is some of the issue but I was fitted to my old irons at standard length. I will choke down on them tomorrow and see how it goes. I'll spend a little more range time with them before the round as well. The 5 iron has always been my nemesis. I should probably consider a 5 hybrid honestly.

I did yes. The tour v is lighter by 20 grams (110 vs 130) and launches a bit higher for me. Not too high though (like the px 95 did). I really, really like the launch I am getting. They also feel much better (less harsh) but that may be a combo of the apex and tour v.

The spec sheet says the 5-iron is 24* and 38" (interesting that was the exact specs for a 3-iron when I started playing golf) which is right at the limit on both counts for me. I do use a 5 hybrid and it is much better for me in most situations, however I do miss the 5-iron from a tee on longer par 3 holes and in the summer when the the fairways are not dormant. The last 5-iron I owned was 26* and 37.75" and I hit it well. I even had a 4-iron that I hit well until about 3 years ago. It was 21* and 38.25" and a great tee club, when necessary.

Last edited:

We had the same setup in the Xhp Irons, and these are miles ahead.

New here, Just ordered my apex, KBS tour V stiff as well, fitting was awkward so I just went with the best shaft I have read. Sounds like you hit them well, still the case, and you recommend ?

So I got 2 range sessions under my belt with these. These feel so soft even with range balls. I'm also really liking the lateral forgiveness on these. I've been hitting my irons a little towards the heel lately but distance loss is minimal. I'm really liking the Apex/Steelfiber combo. I would say the only downside so far is the wear and tear on the club face. After 2 range sessions there's more marks than I had in 2 years with my R11's. Don't know if others have seen this but it doesn't affect performance so it's not really a big deal.

The love affair continues. I hit the apex beautifully today. Even the previously inconsistent 6i. I didn't have to hit the 5i on the course but hit it well on the range.

Anyway, the feel is just buttery smooth and the forgiveness is insane. I'm hitting them straighter than ever.

I'm already looking to get back out next weekend and I'll probably dream of pure iron shots all week!

I echo sparks comments. Tied my pb today; 87. Had 9 GIR which is close to a record for me. So much forgiveness and the pure strikes...just awesome!! Them paired with big bertha make a deadly couple for me. Bertha shows the way, the Apex follows suit.

I LOVE the 5i. Any chance I get to use it, I do. I have never had so much confidence with the low irons before. In fact, I would rather hit my 5i than my scoring irons. Bring on the 185+ par threes!!!!

I would say the only downside so far is the wear and tear on the club face. After 2 range sessions there's more marks than I had in 2 years with my R11's. Don't know if others have seen this but it doesn't affect performance so it's not really a big deal.

I do see this too, oddly enough worse with the scoring irons. I think there is a satin coat on the face too. However, as I have been using them more, the wear is blending together and now is not looking so bad. Sort of hard to explain but it looks more like added character now, as opposed to looking like you hit a stone or something.

For those that went with Recoils with these irons how did you decide on flex? Looking at the chart F3/F4 overlap a little in terms of swing speed recommendations. I hit these with an F4 and while it felt great and yielded good results, I wonder if F3 would be better given my tempo.

Listen to those that bought them, but in a recent fitting they seem to play a little soft, do F4 was recommended to me. At impact the F3s were flexed a little too much according to fitter. My 6i SS is ~80 mph and tempo fairly smooth.

These clubs saved my round tonight. Was having an off night driving, but the Apex did not fail me once. 210 yard 5 iron to a green, check. 180 yard 7 iron to 5 feet, check. So smooth off the club face. Love these with the Recoil shaft! Best golf purchase I've made in awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. Something great about having confidence in your clubs.

These clubs saved my round tonight. Was having an off night driving, but the Apex did not fail me once. 210 yard 5 iron to a green, check. 180 yard 7 iron to 5 feet, check. So smooth off the club face. Love these with the Recoil shaft! Best golf purchase I've made in awhile.

Couldn't agree more. Sounds like my round yesterday. Enjoy!

Yes, this is true. It's a great feeling when you're standing over the ball and know your going to hit a great shot before you do. And if you do miss hit it, the shot is still good.

Okay, bandwagon jump completed. Mine have been sitting here for a few days but will finally have a day free (and back is feeling better) to get them a workout tomorrow. Can't wait.

I went with the KBS Tour-V Stiff for now but would swap out if needed in the near future back to KBS CTL's or something if they don't work out. I figured since the V's are the most in demand "free" shaft I might as well grab them - and I think Stiff would be easier to sell on fleabay later. It will be interesting comparing my JPX-825's (at least the 8-iron) with CTL R's which launch really really high with Apex. Standard loft/lie/length with blue whiteouts +3 wraps.

czIU7Ax.jpg

Okay, bandwagon jump completed. Mine have been sitting here for a few days but will finally have a day free (and back is feeling better) to get them a workout tomorrow. Can't wait.

I went with the KBS Tour-V Stiff for now but would swap out if needed in the near future back to KBS CTL's or something if they don't work out. I figured since the V's are the most in demand "free" shaft I might as well grab them - and I think Stiff would be easier to sell on fleabay later. It will be interesting comparing my JPX-825's (at least the 8-iron) with CTL R's which launch really really high with Apex. Standard loft/lie/length with blue whiteouts +3 wraps.

czIU7Ax.jpg

Awesome! You will love them. I too, came from JPX 825's (KBS Tour FST in those). I have Project X flighted 95 in my Apex irons and love it. I wouldn't mind trying a Tour V or CTL either though...I'm always in ponder mode!

That is so true, my confidence is through the roof with the apex, as soon as get the driver fixed my game will be in great shape

That is so true, my confidence is through the roof with the apex, as soon as get the driver fixed my game will be in great shape

Are we related?

Are we related?

I know one way you guys are related. You both faced me at #TheKing (with similar results) :alien: Also, the Apexes are great irons.

^^^this guy

So after a long week's wait, my new apex irons are due to be delivered today (hurry up UPS). Apex irons 5-pw with Recoil 95 F3 hardstepped and New Decade grips. I'm so stoked for it. :banana:

This is true.

Haven't felt so confident with irons before. Even when the swing is wonky, I know I still have a fighting chance with these irons.

UGH!!! Of course they get delivered while I'm gone.

Back