How do you hit 200 yards?

It all depends on sets and lofts too. There are a few sets out there that have the 5 iron the exact same loft as my 4 iron. With my current set I would need wind or downhill to hit 200 with 5 iron its more 185-190 on normal conditions. some of the new "distance sets" have 23 or 24* 5 iron !

Valid point. My 5I is 27* and it's my 180-185 club. Still need to work on my ball striking with my irons though.

Valid point. My 5I is 27* and it's my 180-185 club. Still need to work on my ball striking with my irons though.

Yes don't we all. My dad would need a 3 wood at 200, but darn it if it isn't straight every freekin time.

3 wood if I'm going for it. If I'm playing smart it's 2 PWs.

it depends, downhill ill hit 5 iron, uphill ill hit 4 hybo. all depends I guess

Thats pushing into a yardage that I don't like honestly. I can get there with a well struck 4 iron. I don't carry a hybrid very often. But that number I avoid at all cost.

But for me if I'm not confident or there is trouble around the green. then I will lay up to a safe spot inside 30 yards and rely on strong short game to save the par.

A lot of 200 yard 5 irons in here. Guess I need to go work on my ball striking.

EDIT: That sounds a little crappy. Wasn't trying to come off like that, I'd just like to get to the point where that's how far I can hit a 5 iron accurately.

It didn't sound bad at all. I knew what you meant. All be it I'm not one of the 5 iron guys more like a 5 wood :)

Thats pushing into a yardage that I don't like honestly. I can get there with a well struck 4 iron. I don't carry a hybrid very often. But that number I avoid at all cost.

But for me if I'm not confident or there is trouble around the green. then I will lay up to a safe spot inside 30 yards and rely on strong short game to save the par.

I think you're being humble. I thought I remembered a 6 iron from near that distance at Waverly Woods. Could be wrong though.

Last edited:
I think you're being humble. I thought I remembered a 6 iron from near that distance at Waverly Woods. Could be wrong though.
Wind helps....:)

I like an easy 4 iron from 200. If I try swinging hard with a 5 iron then I'll pull it left. I always choose an extra club and swing easy over blasting away.

Rob, actually my 5i is only my 195 club so I might have to take some off a 4i! ;-)

Edit: Sorry this was meant for Rob quoted the wrong person.

Last edited:
200 yards is a tough distance for me. Depending on conditions it would be a 5 wood or #4 RBZ hybrid. My main goal at 200 yards though is to hit the ball straight and try to avoid traps around the green. I might get 1 out of 7 or 8 on the green, but I'm content to finish around the fringe.

5 iron, its either good or 5-10 yards short and if short is alright I have no problem swinging away assuming I will get there with clean contact

I either use my 4 or 2 hybrid. They both tend to be around 200 but one is low and rolly and the other is high and all carry. It depends on the lie and the hole layout.

4 hybrid every time. I love to be 200 yards out on a Par 5, my favorite club just happens to be a 4 hybrid.

This would be my 4H distance. Pretty solid with it, slightly better from the tee but also pretty solid from the deck.

So an interesting update:

After reading the thread I realized I was in the right place with clubs and technique, but something was just off. I came up with a hypothesis that when I was swinging my longer clubs I was losing something due to efficiency. My contact was good, but the power was bleeding off somewhere.

It took me a good two days at the range to figure it out, but I got it. With my longer clubs, I wasn't getting a full wrist hinge. And to make up for lacking a full hinge I was leaning back just a little and my weight wasn't coming forward fully. It was small stuff, but the effect of the small stuff was killing my catapult and compression. I could hit my 9 iron 130-140 yards but my four iron would struggle to go 180.

So I dialed in that swing change and it put me right back in. I can now get my 5 iron to roll out to 200 or so with a hard swing, my 4 iron to 200 pretty consistently, and my 3 hybrid is decent for 200-235 or so depending on the type of swing and choke I use.

It's amazing to me how much of a change in distance I got looking at efficiency, and specifically how much I was bleeding off with the hinge issue.

And I went out today and hit my first 79, which was a nice confirmation of the effort.

Really interesting discussion in the thread, and thanks for the perspective.

For me I find that I pull a 5 iron or 4 iron on a 200 yard shot. Is it my most comfortable yardage? Definitely not, but I rarely run into it during a round.
I usually always go with the 5i.

Go Big Orange

My 5 to carry 200+my 6 to roll out to 195-200

I wish I could hit an iron 200 yards. For me it's a well struck 3 hybrid or I have to put a good swing on the 4 wood.

3-hybrid or a 80% swing on my 3 wood. I am not a big distance guy still learning.

I am a woman, and a really bad golfer, so I hit 200 yards with a really well struck driver.

You just don't have the right equipment. :angel:

Back