Wilson Staff 8802 Milled Putter - THP Preview

Going to get this one out on the putting green tomorrow, quite excited about it, though its been a LONG time since I've gamed an 8802 style blade.
I've been looking forward to your review since you first teased us with the original thread. Man, this is a gorgeous putter and if she "feels" half as good as she looks W/S should make the target audience very happy.

I think alot of that over the pond "like" thing probably has a lot to do with so many here confusing Wilson (wal mart clubs) with Wilson Staff (high end clubs), its sad but true.
Sad to say, for a number of years I was guilty of this.

Ah great memories, the first putter I owned was a Wilson 8802. I bought a used set at a garage sale, loved the putter so much great to see its return. I will look out for these at the local golf store, a must try

I not a fan of those shaped putters normally but that thing is a beautiful putter. Do you need my address Jman hahaha.

Just getting around to seeing this. I WANT!! Man she's purdy

It's a beauty. Love and hate a chromed out sole like that. So pretty, but they make me sad when they get scratched up.

The in-undulating deluge outside has won the day, shan't be getting out on the actual greens with it today after all.

The in-undulating deluge outside has won the day, shan't be getting out on the actual greens with it today after all.

Stupid rain... We will get your thoughts soon I imagine though.

Hope you can get out there today and see how the 8802 stacks up to its predecessors.

Here's to some good weather this week for you Jman! In hand pictures are awesome.

8813 face is the exact size as a nickle. My 8802 is on loan but if memory holds it has a larger face.

Being on of the few humans left that uses a blade putter I can't wait to see on.

Sad to see that it's milled. I guess they gave up on trying to duplicate the original.

8813 face is the exact size as a nickle. My 8802 is on loan but if memory holds it has a larger face.

Being on of the few humans left that uses a blade putter I can't wait to see on.

Sad to see that it's milled. I guess they gave up on trying to duplicate the original.

The original 8802 and 8813 are the size of a nickel, if the face is larger than the nickel then it is a later release than the original.

People want milled, milled is their main chance at drawing more modern attention to the design. The secret to the original 8802 was the metal mixture used in it, and its something that will never be replicated.

I did get out for practice and 18 with this one today, I'll have some thoughts written up here in a bit.

So, got this one out today, rolled it for a round as well as some putting green time. Went 14/17 for 31 putts on the day, only one 3 putt today and that was complete user error.

Its a blade. Shocker, right?

Its true though and bears keeping in mind, it is a classic design, considered by many to be THE classic design and rightfully so, its gorgeous. But when you set it up behind a golf ball, you know what you have. The footprint is small and behind a ball you realize the size difference from most popular designs we see in use today, perimeter weighting isn't a thing with the 8802. When you miss heel or toe side you feel it in the hands, you hear a difference, and you see a pace change.

The milled 8802 is definitely more modernized with the sweetspot being located in the middle of the blade and not more to the heel/hosel side like the original versions. This was ID'd by the sound/feel difference, off the center its quite a plush click that is very pleasant and fitting of the aesthetics, off the heel you get more harsh vibrational feedback to the hands and a much more dense click at impact. Additionally, the rollout difference is there.

Its a beutiful putter, the reduction of surface area in contact with the ball makes for a wonderful audible variance and many will be surprised by it, it isn't "soft" by most standards but rides directly in the middle of the spectrum, a really good place to be.

The roll is consistent, but you can miss with it, the sweet spot is not expanded because there is not perimeter weighting, but solid strokes are rewarded by solid rolls. Also, the lack of an alignment aid could be hindering to some, but for me it was really nice, its you, the ball, your eye, and your chosen line.

Going to get out more tomorrow at a course with some really varying greens front to back 9 and see how the adjustment goes. More thoughts then.

As always, if you have questions, feel free to ask away!

Same top spin as the original?

No skidding, needs to be kept in mind that this will vary person to person, especially those that forward press and manipulate the native loft of the putter. As standard, played without press to prevent variances in loft stroke to stroke, the roll was consistent and pure.

Guilty of the forward press. Not putting 3/32" back of center would take some adjustments.

Guilty of the forward press. Not putting 3/32" back of center would take some adjustments.

Its going to be different for everyone, some people who press may see no skid, some may, there is a lot that goes into it including the AoA into the putt. Skidding is typically not the fault of the putter, its a fault of the combining of the users stroke and a specific loft at impact which produces the skid.

I don't press personally because it is in and of itself a variable, no matter how long one has done it or how convinced they are that they're consistent with it, its practically impossible to put the same loft on the putt stroke after stroke. Its a major reason why people who press have a larger tendency to be on absolute fire one day and stone cold the next, one day the press was the right number, the next it wasn't.

Everyone is different though and has their own ways, its the beauty of this game.

How come the shaft has that crimped type section? Does it serve a purpose?

I love the headcover that came with this.

Good land!! That putter is really pretty.

How come the shaft has that crimped type section? Does it serve a purpose?
I believe that is the head-speed feature of the shaft, but I'll let Jman explain the intended science behind the design.

Wilson Staff has the 8802 up on their website today.$179.00. It is sweet but I actually like JMan's pictures better.

Lost me at no LH. Drat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Info we got said they will be released in LH

"Available in RH only at this time."
In the first post under "About the Milled 8802". Let me know if that has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back