The yard work thread

Is this payback for a golf purchase you made in the past? :wink:

No sir but you can bet the farm one is coming. I did tell her that when a new driver shows up, I'll simply point to those tress and ask how much were those again?

I will eventually plant a Live Oak around hour place somewhere. I dang sure don't want 10 of them though! Right now I've still got several trees in pots that I'm going to wait and plant this winter.
Already this spring/summer I've planted a few chestnuts, a pink dogwood, a cherry tree and two truck loads of daffodils.

I'm a 1/2 hour south of Dallas & have excess inventory to move. Plus, Texas golf.

Let's make a deal brotha!

I'm a 1/2 hour south of Dallas & have excess inventory to move. Plus, Texas golf.

Let's make a deal brotha!

Hahaha! But then that's more work for me, and isn't there a thread somewhere talking about Texas golf being harder than golf everywhere else?!

isn't there a thread somewhere talking about Texas golf being harder than golf everywhere else?!

You do have a point, plus we walk all our rounds.

Tell you what, come get the tree & I'll line up the round.

You do have a point, plus we walk all our rounds.

Tell you what, come get the tree & I'll line up the round.

You get out of planting some trees and you get to play golf... talk about a win-win situation there!

We spent an untold amount of money last year when we moved in on plants we were assured would do fine here. Cactus type stuff, roses, Texas sage and the like. Well, they did fine right up until winter and the snow & ice killed everything.
So we're (I'm) going back with these live oaks, some dog woods and more roses. I have a pretty good feeling most of this is gonna die off as well but I guess my wife figures I have hands & shovel, so I might as well put them to use.

I'm going to have to keep this thread in mind. We just got a new yard this year because we finished our home, and I think there is more weeds in it than there is grass. I'm not sure what the weed is either but I have a feeling it's going to be a pain to kill. I think I'm going to start the weed killing process after the rainy season ends and I don't have to worry about wash away.

Okay, I have something growing in my fescue/rye lawn and I want it gone.

What is it and how to I kill it.?

It sort of looks like Goosegrass, it's hard to tell from those two pictures. Goosegrass has a thick blade like your picture, if you see it go to seed, then you might be out of luck this summer. The best way to knock this down is with a Pre-emergent herbicide. Those work best if applied in late winter to early spring when soil temperatures reach 60 degrees for most of the month...aka early fall.

Once it's out, you can hit it with Round Up, just be careful not to get any on the grass you want to keep, of course.

Here's my weekend plans.
IMG_20140703_194843_842_zpsp46qoats.jpg

One down

IMG_20140703_194918_149_zps3oorxwd2.jpg

Nine more to go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread reminds me that I need to get some shrubs for the side of the house where I had Texas sage die on me last winter. It was ugly anyways. We shall see what Callaway's got.

This thread reminds me that I need to get some shrubs for the side of the house where I had Texas sage die on me last winter. It was ugly anyways. We shall see what Callaway's got.

Planting a big Bertha out there?

Planting a big Bertha out there?

Calloway's.....and yes, will probably cost about the same as buying a Big Bertha so I guess that's true in a sense. Go to your baseball games already Taylor.

Calloway's.....and yes, will probably cost about the same as buying a Big Bertha so I guess that's true in a sense. Go to your baseball games already Taylor.

Nate, I've got a few smallish box woods lining the front flower bed that you're welcome to. You have to come get them at night, wear dark clothes & never speak of this to anyone

Already here hehe

Digging holes since 7AM. Not done yet!

Digging holes since 7AM. Not done yet!

And now taking a break from the heat. Shower, food, beer & a nap.

And now taking a break from the heat. Shower, food, beer & a nap.

I would kindly request that my wife not wait til July to purchase the massive amounts of trees next time.

I say that, but I spent two Saturdays in June planting plants.

I would kindly request that my wife not wait til July to purchase the massive amounts of trees next time.

I say that, but I spent two Saturdays in June planting plants.

I made a request to not BUY any &$(/@- plants but I see how that worked out for me.
I could have paid somebody to plant them but decided it would be better to complain every time the shovel hit the dirt.

I forgot to turn the water off to the sprinklers this winter and had pipes break, essentially right at the valves. So I reworked the entire valve area, replacing four units in the process. Something isn't right - when I turn the main water on I get sprinklers running at all six stations, as if it is completely bypassing the control unit. I could have sworn I wired it exactly as it originally was. I think it is time for a beer and to try again tomorrow.

Nate, I've got a few smallish box woods lining the front flower bed that you're welcome to. You have to come get them at night, wear dark clothes & never speak of this to anyone

LOL.....ok, let me see what I have in the closet.

I think I'm going to blow my paver patio up at the end of the summer. It's got weeds coming up through the cracks, it's a little uneven in places where its settled some . I need to top the little wall that borders it and put a better edging around the platting bed that surrounds it and put weed block down under the patio pavers. I swore I wouldn't ever do another one of these, but it drives me nuts every time I go out on it.

Yesterday went from playing golf into yard work. Pulled two bushes, trimmed 7 more and cleaned up. I should have went to the course when I had a chance :)

LOL.....ok, let me see what I have in the closet.

Buddy, friend, ol pal of mine, I still have these 2 box woods sitting here waiting to be planted. It's getting dark outside.

Hint, hint

Back