Cleveland 588 Fairway Woods Review

4h or 5h most likely. Unless the only option was 588 hybrid. In that case I'd have to do some heavy thinking.

Hawk are you having that much trouble with the 588 hybrids? Last thing I saw was your printout from your session with the 588 5h and it looked great. Are the Srixon fairway woods more shallow faced than the Cleveland 588's?
Are the 588 Altitude irons in 4 or 5 be a solution?

Hawk are you having that much trouble with the 588 hybrids? Last thing I saw was your printout from your session with the 588 5h and it looked great. Are the Srixon fairway woods more shallow faced than the Cleveland 588's?
Are the 588 Altitude irons in 4 or 5 be a solution?

In reality, I'm having hybrid issues period. Just hooking the hell out of all them at least 50% of the time, if not more. 588 is one that I'm struggling with quite a bit. I can get it going on the range, but the course is a different story. It's a swing thing I know, but certain ones make it worse than others for me.

No info on anything Srixon, so I'm clueless there and the Altitudes just don't do it for me. I've given them a ton of shots, but no difference over the hybrids in terms of dispersion.

In reality, I'm having hybrid issues period. Just hooking the hell out of all them at least 50% of the time, if not more. 588 is one that I'm struggling with quite a bit. I can get it going on the range, but the course is a different story. It's a swing thing I know, but certain ones make it worse than others for me.

No info on anything Srixon, so I'm clueless there and the Altitudes just don't do it for me. I've given them a ton of shots, but no difference over the hybrids in terms of dispersion.

You were hitting it good when you first got it, so it is in you to hit this club well. That is something we know and the mind can be a powerful asset or liability in this game. You might try asking your instructor why he thinks you are hitting hooks with hybrids now. I know for me it seems to come down to ball position or grip when I am having swing issues. I am sure you will get it figured out, sometimes we want things too much.

Oh, I know the issues causing them. Just tough fixes and ones that I'm not sure I'll have time to really correct in the next six weeks. Long term changes unfortunately.

Oh, I know the issues causing them. Just tough fixes and ones that I'm not sure I'll have time to really correct in the next six weeks. Long term changes unfortunately.

Good luck getting it worked out of your swing, seems it didn't take long to work it's way into your swing though. Golf is a fickle game and let your mind be an ally, sometimes things correct as quickly as they fell apart. Keep at it. You could always look at the MT or TT 4 and 5 irons as it would seem they should be a little more difficult to hook.

How many FWs is everyone thinking for the MC bag? a 3/4W and maybe a 5W? Or just one FW and more hybrids?
If we were ordering today, I'd go with the 14° 3 wood and the 18° 5 wood with stock stiff shafts and wouldn't be happier.

Hawk:The 3w (4w), 7W and 4H combo I think is a good one, particularly for short knockers like me. Pick a 4H with some versatility (e.g. Ginty styled sole) and you really have the best of all worlds. I could see a 588 being a great 7W option in that kind of setup.

Ryebread, what is your distance gap between your Alt 4H and your 7W. Im sure the loft is similar, but the length of the 7w gives you more distance I assume?
Hawk:The 3w (4w), 7W and 4H combo I think is a good one, particularly for short knockers like me. Pick a 4H with some versatility (e.g. Ginty styled sole) and you really have the best of all worlds. I could see a 588 being a great 7W option in that kind of setup.

I finally got a chance to hit the 588 line on the range before my league match last night. I'm thinking of going back to a 3w/5w setup, and taking out the lob wedge that I'm certain will be the death of me. This might be the first 3W in a while that I was able to get off the turf (though I'd be using the 5w for that more), and it was definitely longer than my current 4w off the tee, which would be nice on the day my driver doesn't want to cooperate. Great lineup Cleveland has this year.

I finally got a chance to hit the 588 line on the range before my league match last night. I'm thinking of going back to a 3w/5w setup, and taking out the lob wedge that I'm certain will be the death of me. This might be the first 3W in a while that I was able to get off the turf (though I'd be using the 5w for that more), and it was definitely longer than my current 4w off the tee, which would be nice on the day my driver doesn't want to cooperate. Great lineup Cleveland has this year.

Glad to see you had some early success with these. Have you tried out the hybrids yet? Crazy easy to hit off the deck

Glad to see you had some early success with these. Have you tried out the hybrids yet? Crazy easy to hit off the deck

Cleveland has a real winner with these fairways, and the hybrids are as good if not better than the fairways in my opinion. MD441 have you nailed down your MC bag on the hybrid/fairway side?

I know you are one of the few that might lean to the 588 lineup as opposed to wait and see what is available.

Last edited:

I haven't hit the 588, but I loved the Cleveland Classic hybrids every time I hit them. I think I've almost bought one 4-5 times.

I really enjoyed the driver and the FW's in this lineup. I could see myself stiff going this route if offered

I have been playing the 5 and 7 588 wood's. These are so forgiving its insane. All the 7 wood requires is a smooth swing and it produces a nice high ball flight. It also good from the rough. Great clubs.

I have been playing the 5 and 7 588 wood's. These are so forgiving its insane. All the 7 wood requires is a smooth swing and it produces a nice high ball flight. It also good from the rough. Great clubs.

What is your distance gap between the 5-wood and the 7-wood?
It's good to hear so many having similar results with these fairway woods as I have seen the few times I have tried them.

Probably 10-20 yards depending on roll out. Obviously the 5 wood rolls a little more. I find myself using the 7 wood the most though cause its a confident club for me. I took my 4 ALT out and put the 7 wood in its place. Even though the 7 wood is a little longer (5-10 yards) than the ALT 4, I just choke down on the 7 wood if I am trying to hit that distance.

I stopped by the PGA SS today and hit the 588 5 Wood as it will be in my MC bag this year. Wow, that puppy just wanted to find the Middle of the Fairway so I named it V.MAN.

I stopped by the PGA SS today and hit the 588 5 Wood as it will be in my MC bag this year. Wow, that puppy just wanted to find the Middle of the Fairway so I named it V.MAN.

Interestingly that is the only fairway wood of the 588 custom I have not hit, but it doesn't surprise me. I will say that a nice high straight, but piercing ball flight never gets boring. I also like the fact that it responds best to a nice smooth swing, but surprisingly when I tried to overpower it, it just went a little higher and maybe 10 yards shorter. Great club, no doubt. You Cleveland MCers are going to love the performance.

I had hit the 3 wood during a round with THPers and loved it too, they really are forgiving and have a basic simple look that I like at address.

Ok this 5 wood is just awesome. It saved us in Caledonia at 225 out to stick the green, and I used it a few times out now on tee and 2nd shots to put me in great position. The high ball flight allows me to land and stay on the green. Definitely the most reliable wood on fairway. Really comfortable using this off the tee in a tight landing area.

Ok this 5 wood is just awesome. It saved us in Caledonia at 225 out to stick the green, and I used it a few times out now on tee and 2nd shots to put me in great position. The high ball flight allows me to land and stay on the green. Definitely the most reliable wood on fairway. Really comfortable using this off the tee in a tight landing area.

The 588 fairway and hybrid really impressed me. Took a while to take to the 5w but have really enjoyed it at the few range sessions I have taken it to. Long, high, and straight.

Recieved my Cleveland 588 5 Wood that I wanted for #THPMC and put it in play last night. Holy cow, the 5 wood head and a Fubuki Tour 53 is a great combination for me. This was a great fairway finder and also a great second shot club on the par 5 and some par 4's last night. I already got the 588 3 wood, wonder what it would do with the fubuki shaft in it??

5 wood is a great club.
Recieved my Cleveland 588 5 Wood that I wanted for #THPMC and put it in play last night. Holy cow, the 5 wood head and a Fubuki Tour 53 is a great combination for me. This was a great fairway finder and also a great second shot club on the par 5 and some par 4's last night. I already got the 588 3 wood, wonder what it would do with the fubuki shaft in it??

This 5 wood is freaking $$$$
Amazing club. I trust it the most out of any wood in my bag right now

Back