Fearless or Fearful

Most days I am fearless. Recently I have been a little fearful but the confidence is coming back and I am more likely to step up and pipe one down the middle.

I've been very confident this year with driver off the tee, so I'm going after everyone with all I've got. As usual, chipping and putting is holding me back again from scoring well.

Fearless I guess because I will hit driver on every hole I can.

I would say fearless. I don't hit every fairway or hit every drive perfect but when I'm standing over that tee shot with driver in hand Im confident in what I am doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to play with fear, until it dawned on me that it made me do things I shouldn't.

Too scared to hit driver, so you hit hybrid. But because you are hesitant, it then is a mishit. It has happened to me all too often.

My first few holes, I can hit my driver well ... may not be far, but it's straight. Somewhere though the wheels fall off and I go several holes where I couldn't hit the side of a barn unless it was 90 degrees to the right or left of where I setup. At that point, I dread the tee box. After awhile, things settle down and I can finish the round alright. Maddening as hell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At this point, I'm still fearful - I'm not used to the Bertha yet, and I've somehow exchanged my slice for a hook. There are a few fairways that are pretty wide open and I seem to just nut it right down the middle because I'm not worried about going in either direction. But as soon as I step on a tee box that has a tight fairway, or is right next to an adjoining fairway that I might slice my ball onto.... forget it.

At this point, I'm still fearful - I'm not used to the Bertha yet, and I've somehow exchanged my slice for a hook. There are a few fairways that are pretty wide open and I seem to just nut it right down the middle because I'm not worried about going in either direction. But as soon as I step on a tee box that has a tight fairway, or is right next to an adjoining fairway that I might slice my ball onto.... forget it.
Just think of those adjacent fairways as making an extra wide fairway for your current hole. I used to worry about winding up on them, but when I considered that I had a pretty good shot from there it stopped bothering me. I am not good enough to feel embarrassment for my play. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As of late I've played way to much of the fearful golf. I've gotten a little soft when attacking a course. I don't use driver as often as I used to with the 2deep in the bag. But I've noticed that I've started to take less of a gamble. I've got to get back to picking more aggressive lines, and trusting it.

Fearless I have 100% confidence in my driver.

I am supremely confident with my driver from the tee. If I don't hit the fairway or if I make a bad swing I am not worried about it because I am confident that the next one will be good. Step up and let it fly!

Always fearless, even when I'm swinging like garbage.

Take a deep breath, check my setup and grip then let the big dog eat. If you are standing over the ball thinking about the swing you are about to make or its results you are likely headed for the worst place you thought of next.

Very confident, my driver is my favorite club and go to shot. Mostly its straight and long. Lately I have been trying to add more options and trying the same with my fairways and hybo. So far I see a great progess.

Fearless. The smaller the landing area, the tighter the fairway, the better for me.

I think im fearless, I take my driver on all holes except the par 3's and a couple of par 4's at my course. Sometimes it doesn't come off but I don't banish it to the bag because I miss a couple of fairways, its not the clubs fault its mine so I keep swinging that beast.

Often my driver is the most comfortable club in my bag for me

I'm with you OG, sometime I just can't get some bad thoughts out of my head while i'm on the teebox concerning potentially hitting a bad shot, which end up quite often being a self fulfilling prophecy. Lately I've change up my swing routine where I do my warmup swing behind the ball, then when i approach and address it, i don't leave myself much time to think about it and just give it a rip, which seems to have helped considerably. I swear if I could get rid of my brain though...I'd be a single digit handicap :angry:

Fearful.

I have zero history of successful driving. However, hitting provisionals or 3 off the tee (so at that point not giving a crap because the hole has gone in my mind), I can usually get off ok. 99% mental.

Currently fearful. It's not due to thoughts about my swing, but an inability to correctly align with my target. I have recently worked hard on my alignment, and so the issue is disappearing, but to stand on the tee and not be 100% confident in my line leads to fear and a lack of fluidity.

I don't pull driver unless it looks like I have plenty of room. 3 wood gets alot of play on tighter fairways

Not fearful at all, but with some of the results I have seen lately off the tee (2 and 5 FIR in 2 of my last 3 rounds), maybe I should incorporate a touch of that feeling into my tee game.

This is a great question! I try to play more fearless with confidence. I know the realistic expectations of my driver but I always try to picture the shot I'm going to hit and produce it....usually more on the aggressive side.

Great, thread OG. I've been struggling with my tee game this year. The last few rounds I've made some adjustments and this past Saturday was one of my best driving days all year. I wasn't 100% FIR, but I was getting solid distance and my fairway misses weren't significant and not penal at all. I was pretty fearless. Up until Saturday, definitely wasn't like that though. Must be those THP tees I got.

OG I think you've heard me say before, "Mama didn't raise no p." Bertha's given me a ton of confidence, but even when I'm struggling with the big stick I have to know that I can find a fairway when I absolutely have to. Shorten my swing down a little and I always seem to get it in the fairway.

Back