Cleveland 588 Custom Driver Review

Matthew the reason I love it is because of the weight. It weighs the same as a bonded driver. I was very late to change to the adjustable drivers and the covert and r1 feel like sledgehammers to me. You can also add weight to the 588 as needed.

Not discounting the driver at all, I was hitting it pretty well, when I hit it well. I just hit a couple others more consistently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It certainly won't be. I'm excited to be gaming this in the MC - I think the head/shaft pairing I'm going with will serve me well.

I think this was a great choice for you teammate! It really is a great driver!

I was out playing a twilight round yesterday and hitting the rig well. I let my buddy give her a try and.....

jyquda2e.jpg

He made a swing and the top of the backswing he said he felt something and after impact there was clearly a problem. His shot was great...and in the fairway....I have already made contact with my Cleveland contact and they are working on a replacment shaft..

Crazy man. Only time I have seen that happen there is if the shaft was cut/cracked due to hitting another club or something hitting it in the bag. Many times, us golfers dont even know until it happens.

If I had it seen it happen I would have thought it was from being slamed into turf. But that was not the case and I am prety anal wih my clubs ( my MB's even have covers lol) He just made a swing a normal swing, he is a big guy but an an R flex guy with a slower swing speed than I do. I had just hit a nice 240 yard bullet with some roll into a 2 club wind on the hole before which prompted him into trying the club out. As for the club, it came straight from Cleveland and was shortened an inch and regrppied at the local Roger Dunn's by a guy I trust. I may swing by Matrix later today and have them take a look..

That's pretty interesting how that happened. And it looks like it's a pretty clean seperation, no graphite hanging off unless you cleaned it up. Cleveland is a great company and I know they will help you out with this and you'll be back out hitting bombs with this guy.

That's pretty interesting how that happened. And it looks like it's a pretty clean seperation, no graphite hanging off unless you cleaned it up. Cleveland is a great company and I know they will help you out with this and you'll be back out hitting bombs with this guy.
I did not clean it up and those were muy first impressions too....I was in shock. I have seen older sensicore shafts break in that area, but not graphite.

I guess that's why people keep back up clubs. Maybe I need to back up my 588.

I played yesterday at a bachelor party golf outing so I held an audition for the replacemnt role with a sl290 with a 59 gram ckua and my cg black tour with a 61 gram dromos. The sl290 won the shootout with point at shoot accuracy. I was losing the black tour right and did not have time to work on straightening it out. The sl290 worked out very well, I was a little shorter than normal with the 588 custom (sl290 is a 10.5 and the 588 custom is a 9.0) but every bit as accurate.

Switched to an upright setting. This helps me not worry about my path as much. Makes it more point and shoot. I think some players bagged this at MC look forward to hearing the results.

I'll go into it in more detail later, but I hit this baby well, especially on Saturday. High and straight, one of my most consistent clubs on the day. This head with the Kusala Silver looked great and performed.

I'll go into it in more detail later, but I hit this baby well, especially on Saturday. High and straight, one of my most consistent clubs on the day. This head with the Kusala Silver looked great and performed.

This dude bombed this driver this weekend

I was able to get the broken stock shaft replaced by Roger Dunn's. I had it cut down an inch and regripped with a ping id-8 grip and I am back in business.

I played 54 holes for my 54th b-day on Wednesday and had my best driving day ever. I shot a 78 from the blues @ The Crossings in Carlsbad an 84 from the blacks @ Redhawk in Temecula and a 77 from the gold (tips) @ the Ledgends in Temecula. It felt so good to have this old friend back in the bag where it belonged.

Pulled the trigger on one of these yesterday in my quest to find MY DRIVER. Still looking and hope this is the one.

Pulled the trigger on one of these yesterday in my quest to find MY DRIVER. Still looking and hope this is the one.

I am very interested to hear your thoughts on tis as compared to the 545. Putting the black tie in this?

I am very interested to hear your thoughts on tis as compared to the 545. Putting the black tie in this?

Nope. Stock xstiff. I need to do a little experiment.

I just took my Srixon head off and put my 588 custom head on my Fubuki shaft. Wow saw great results and it seemed the 588 custom has a little more forgiveness. Going to keep it that way for awhile I think.

I just took my Srixon head off and put my 588 custom head on my Fubuki shaft. Wow saw great results and it seemed the 588 custom has a little more forgiveness. Going to keep it that way for awhile I think.

I'm going to play around with both heads and both shafts. I feel like I can find something I'm comfortable with between the two awesome drivers

This came in today. I can't wait to try it out. JB had me drooling over this driver for most of this past year and now I finally have it in my hands. I'll report back my thoughts. I went with the stock Matrix shaft in X flex. 10.5 head.

Great to hear you got this man, can't wait to hear what your thoughts are on this compared to the Srixon 545 driver. Any plans on putting the Srixon driver shaft in the Cleveland head?
This came in today. I can't wait to try it out. JB had me drooling over this driver for most of this past year and now I finally have it in my hands. I'll report back my thoughts. I went with the stock Matrix shaft in X flex. 10.5 head.

Great to hear you got this man, can't wait to hear what your thoughts are on this compared to the Srixon 545 driver. Any plans on putting the Srixon driver shaft in the Cleveland head?
I might. I want to test out the stock x in the 588 first. I might need to get it shortened as I got it at stock 45.5 which is a full inch longer than I usually play. I hit it on a monitor in February and crushed it. Hoping for more of that.

You said it fits? Is it supposed to fit?

Well shoot man if you crushed it before I bet you will crush it again. Yesterday was just a disaster for me. When I would aim on the left side of the fairway i would hit a draw and right side or middle a huge slice. And then on this long par 5 hit a bomb straight down the middle down in the valley. found out in the valley the fairway stopped infront of it so I was in the darn rough. O well, I am still enjoying this guy and think it has more forgiveness.
I might. I want to test out the stock x in the 588 first. I might need to get it shortened as I got it at stock 45.5 which is a full inch longer than I usually play. I hit it on a monitor in February and crushed it. Hoping for more of that.

Back