Having my first lesson on Thursday!

BRISTOL86

Reaction score
I'm a newcomer to golf, having just been restricted to taking myself to the driving range a few times, but the golf bug has bitten me massively. At the moment - despite being a very bad beginner - I can't get enough videos, books or anything else golf related!

I have a 5 week beginners course starting this Thursday, where you get 50 minutes of tuition in a group environment, every week for 5 weeks, so just over 4 hours tuition, though obviously that's not one on one time with the pro.

The pro is one of the Top 100 PGA Pros in the UK rated by Golf World magazine, according to her twitter profile, so I'm really excited to get started on my lessons and hopefully gaining some confidence and will come out of the other side being able to hit the ball with more consistency!

Congrats on taking this important step and good luck with the game!

Good luck! Lessons were an important purchase for my improvement this year! Down 5 points since I started lessons!

Good move. It should help you enjoy the game more and it's always fun to hit some great shots with a little professional help. Enjoy!

Congrats on taking this important step and good luck with the game!

Thanks my friend! Really looking forward to it actually, be great to get a pro looking at those fundamentals before I get a chance to ingrain bad technique. I'm new enough to swinging a club that it shouldn't be too difficult to get out of the feel of my (undoubtedly flawed) swing!

I'm a newcomer to golf, having just been restricted to taking myself to the driving range a few times, but the golf bug has bitten me massively. At the moment - despite being a very bad beginner - I can't get enough videos, books or anything else golf related!

I have a 5 week beginners course starting this Thursday, where you get 50 minutes of tuition in a group environment, every week for 5 weeks, so just over 4 hours tuition, though obviously that's not one on one time with the pro.

The pro is one of the Top 100 PGA Pros in the UK rated by Golf World magazine, according to her twitter profile, so I'm really excited to get started on my lessons and hopefully gaining some confidence and will come out of the other side being able to hit the ball with more consistency!

Congrats. Go in with an open mind and just take it all in. One thing to keep in mind. Lessons are great, but if you dont follow through and practice, they arent worth much. It's a process but its worth it.

That's awesome. Have fun and keep an open mind. Do whatever the instructor says even if it feels weird or uncomfortable. When I took my first lesson, I didn't realize how crappy my swing was until I saw it on video. The new stance/grip I was taught felt really awkward and then I watched it on video and it looks 100x better. Just trust them and practice whatever they show you. Just a warning since it sounds like you've been going to the range a bit, you will most likely suck even worse at first since you'll be using a new grip/stance. Things get worse before they get better. That's why we all love golf I guess!

Small group lessons like this can be a great way to get started with instruction and to learn about the teaching style of the pro. Congratulations on taking that next step.

That's awesome. Have fun and keep an open mind. Do whatever the instructor says even if it feels weird or uncomfortable. When I took my first lesson, I didn't realize how crappy my swing was until I saw it on video. The new stance/grip I was taught felt really awkward and then I watched it on video and it looks 100x better. Just trust them and practice whatever they show you. Just a warning since it sounds like you've been going to the range a bit, you will most likely suck even worse at first since you'll be using a new grip/stance. Things get worse before they get better. That's why we all love golf I guess!

Definitely.

Some people just seem to be able to pick up a golf club for the first time in their lives and naturally be pretty decent straight from the off, and I know full well that I'm not one of those people! I'm lucky if 20 of my 80 shots connect sweetly, so I'm going in with a clear mind, and an "I know nothing" approach, which can only be a good thing!

I went in to book the course on the weekend and see the facilities at the place for the first time, and the pro was really friendly and welcoming, which is always a good sign. Hopefully she can get my fundamentals on the right path during the beginners course and then I can think about whether to continue with individual lessons with her (although of course this doesn't come cheaply!).

Enjoy! The first lesson is a great first step to a lifetime of golf enjoyment! I hope you stick with it, even if the results are not immediate - the game will become much more fun for you!

Good luck Enjoy stick with what your instructor says even if it feels odd

Congrats on taking up the game and realizing the benefits of lessons in the early stages.

Group lessons are a great affordable way to get instruction.

If you progress ahead of the group, then you can talk to hrs pro about individual sessions.

Keep us updated, would love to hear your progress.

That's awesome man, good luck! Keep us updated on how they're going.

Love the excitement!

Good luck on your continued road to learning this game

Great news. Lessons, have been a good investment for me, hope you enjoy them and get a ton out of them.

Definitely.

Some people just seem to be able to pick up a golf club for the first time in their lives and naturally be pretty decent straight from the off, and I know full well that I'm not one of those people! I'm lucky if 20 of my 80 shots connect sweetly, so I'm going in with a clear mind, and an "I know nothing" approach, which can only be a good thing!

I went in to book the course on the weekend and see the facilities at the place for the first time, and the pro was really friendly and welcoming, which is always a good sign. Hopefully she can get my fundamentals on the right path during the beginners course and then I can think about whether to continue with individual lessons with her (although of course this doesn't come cheaply!).

Just make sure you don't have too much Exhibition from the Cori Tap the night before and you should do just fine. In all seriousness congrats on the start of your journey wish you the best.

Enjoy! I always look forward to mine ... I have made huge leaps in my game play!

have fun. Can't wait to hear what you think after your first lesson.

Just make sure you don't have too much Exhibition from the Cori Tap the night before and you should do just fine. In all seriousness congrats on the start of your journey wish you the best.

I'm genuinely intrigued (and impressed) to know how someone from North Carolina knows about the Cori Tap!

I'm genuinely intrigued (and impressed) to know how someone from North Carolina knows about the Cori Tap!

I know it well, and i have cussed it 100 times but it's also held some of the best times i've had in my life. My step-father was a Bristolian, and i have been to Bristol about a dozen times over the past 25 years. Much of that side of my family, went to Colston's over the years from my Step-Father, his brother to my cousins, Sexstone is their last name.

I loved to stay in Clifton when i come over, we had a nice flat we rented for the week when we could come to see the family. Plenty of afternoons on the Avon Gorge patio/deck as well, so yes Bristol holds a special place for me.

CONGRATS!!! I have never had a lesson and could probably benefit GREATLY from them. Hope they help you.

I know it well, and i have cussed it 100 times but it's also held some of the best times i've had in my life. My step-father was a Bristolian, and i have been to Bristol about a dozen times over the past 25 years. Much of that side of my family, went to Colston's over the years from my Step-Father, his brother to my cousins, Sexstone is their last name.

I loved to stay in Clifton when i come over, we had a nice flat we rented for the week when we could come to see the family. Plenty of afternoons on the Avon Gorge patio/deck as well, so yes Bristol holds a special place for me.

Very nice, Clifton is a nice part of the City!

The closest I've ever been to NC is Wilmington, DE back in '07

Back