Sand Saves - Your Game

yeah it was my MD2 58* I think its pretty high bounce. I just lack technique but its something that will be worked on.

Along with that theres an obvious fear with making full swings in there

We'll have a date in the practice bunker. Lord knows if I can do it anybody can.

We'll have a date in the practice bunker. Lord knows if I can do it anybody can.

Sounds good, wedges only, no woods allowed

I can usually get out of bunkers pretty easily, as long as they're bunkers that are maintained. My goal is to just get the ball on the green. I mess up big time when I try to get cute and knock one close.

I can remember getting a few sand saves, one for birdie, but clearly not the norm. I am probably about 10%, although that may be generous.

Sand game works fine when I trust the bounce and thump it in the sand. Only had one sand out in 36 holes yesterday, it was a plugged lie so was just happy to get out on the first try. The condition of the sand does matter some, so I do try and practice a couple when at a new place if they have a sand practice area.

I'm usually better out of the sand than I am from grass when greenside. Sand is just so much more predictable and having the ability to spin a ball out of the sand is a help as well. Save for fried egg situation, of course. It still comes down to whether or not I make putt, which lately has been very much in question.

Edit: was only in one greenside bunker through the last handful of rounds and got it up and down. I think I'm about 30% or so on the year. Fairway sand is much more common on my home course

Last edited:
1/5 for me today. I had no trouble getting out of the sand but I was never closer than 10 feet.

Probably 1 in 15! I'm having a heck of a time just getting the ball out of the traps onto the putting surface! Its mostly mental, but the lousy sand they use at the course also contributes (coarse with pebbles), as well as only being maybe 1" deep in spots, if that!

I'm currently at 0% for 2014. I've made a lot putts after good bunker shots close to pin but they were all for bogey+. Never sunk any of my putts after sand shots for par or better.

I'm improved from greenside sand in the last year. From Death to Dreadful. Right at 15% sand saves. Doesn't help that the sand at my home courses are terrible and extremely inconsistent.

A sand save for me is not up and down.... it's getting out of the sand in one shot. So far this years I am right at 60%, with one true up and down for good measure. An even better sand save for me is staying out of the sand traps.

My sand game is by far one of my most confident pieces of my game when it comes to skilled shots. I have a better % of up and downs when faced with these situations. The key is not to be afraid of putting a healthy swing on the ball. Any deceleration will leaving you staring at two sand shots in a row.

I used to HATE sand with an unquenchable passion, I now find myself getting out and in decent position more times than not.

I don't even have sand at my home course but I bet I would hover around 5%. Pretty bad.

1/1 yesterday. Thanks Roger Cleveland!

I track it since I average less than one green side bunker per round. This year after 22 rounds it's 32%. I'd like to think I could get it closer to 50% since the bunkers I play are on average much easier than what the pros are playing. For the first time in 17 years I'm focusing nearly all my practice time on shots under 30 yards and putting. I've neglected this area of my game for too long but this year I finally have the time and the motivation to spend some serious practice time on improving my short game.

I've made a lot of improvement from the sand recently, but I'm sure my percentage is less than 10%. I'm shocked that the pros average less than 50%!

I'm around 15% I usually can get it out but it's 15-20 ft and usually is 2-putts from that distance. If I can get it 5-10 ft that percentage will shoot up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm at 14.3% for the year according to my Golf Buddy, no bueno.

Last edited:
Before my last 2 rounds I would guess around 15%. Longer the bunker shot the less I have a chance. I actually took 3 to get out of a fairway bunker 2 rounds ago after destroying a drive,very frustrating

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I get out comfortably but I don't get it close enough to consistently make the putts. If I improved my putting from 8-10 feet my 14% would easily double.

Last edited:
I consider myself a bogey player, so getting out of the sand and on the green in one stroke is good for me.

I've improved my sand game lately in treating a sand out like an ordinary pitch with a little more juice to account for the club hitting the sand first. I didn't count the percentage though.

I used to play sand shots with the open clubface/open stance, but that didn't work out too good for me. I still use this method when a normal pitch won't do, like if the ball is against the lip of a deep bunker, but the standard blast to me is an ordinary pitch with more juice.

That said, I know I'm playing really well when I've managed to avoid all bunkers in 18 holes, which sometimes happens.

Last edited:
This thread just reminded me of perhaps one of my biggest weaknesses. Yes, I improved sand play dramatically prior to the Legacy. But I can remember during Sunday singles, after spending a lot of time in bunkers, and being 3 down early (after 6 holes I believe), either 441 or Ron (lightningbolt), or both of them, just said "you should probably avoid bunkers from now on, just don't get in them." So yea, my sand save ability is still quite low.

~Rock

This thread just reminded me of perhaps one of my biggest weaknesses. Yes, I improved sand play dramatically prior to the Legacy. But I can remember during Sunday singles, after spending a lot of time in bunkers, and being 3 down early (after 6 holes I believe), either 441 or Ron (lightningbolt), or both of them, just said "you should probably avoid bunkers from now on, just don't get in them." So yea, my sand save ability is still quite low.

~Rock

Doesnt sound like something I would say :alien:

Back