Bubba Watson at Golfsmith

Bubba Watson = Low hanging fruit. Right, JRod?

Bubba Watson = Low hanging fruit. Right, JRod?

I'm sorry I don't get it.

I would assume you mean easy target but there is much easier out there, like Tiger for example. Or maybe Rory Sabbatini.

Last edited:
Pretty cool. I've still be turned away by him after he won the Masters the first time, but everyone has good and bad qualities. He's entertaining to watch on the course and as a golf fan I guess you can't really ask for much else.

I'm sorry I don't get it.

I would assume you mean easy target but there is much easier out there, like Tiger for example. Or maybe Rory Sabbatini.

Stewart Appleby told me to hold still while on the tee box a few years ago, while I was holding still. Maybe he wanted me to stop breathing. He may be a swell guy to many but I've thought of him as a POS since that outburst!

Back on topic. I love Bubba. He never has asked me to stop breathing while following him.

Stewart Appleby told me to hold still while on the tee box a few years ago, while I was holding still. Maybe he wanted me to stop breathing. He may be a swell guy to many but I've thought of him as a POS since that outburst!

Back on topic. I love Bubba. He never has asked me to stop breathing while following him.

Did he rage on you and then recite bible verses after he won?

Then cry?

Then cry?
And then say multiple times that he doesn't prefer the attention or praise?

No...he was very pleasant and kind. Appleby however made a baby cry and made me cry too. I hold grudges.

No...he was very pleasant and kind. Appleby however made a baby cry and made me cry too. I hold grudges.

I don't. When people act like asses time after time I just stop trying to like them.

He needs good people like you in his corner though.

I don't. When people act like asses time after time I just stop trying to like them.

He needs good people like you in his corner though.

I'm a fan of his golf game....I choose not to pay attention to his social scene. That's just me. I can find 50 people that have nothing but great things to say about him and another 50 that have nothing but bad things to say. Don't care. Play good golf and continue to hit shots that we've never seen before and I'm gonna root for him. I just respect good golf.

Big stakes. Big press, big presumptions. He's imperfect. I'm pretty sure his wife didn't call him a d***bag as stated above, but while you're hating why not add that all Scotty's are overpriced Pings and Holly wears too much makeup. Lol.

who said that? I said his wife talked to him about his anger issues. That is a fact. He openly talked about that. You can call me a hater, which I'm not. But I'm not going to pretend like this stuff hasn't happened. It'd be like saying Tiger Woods is the perfect roll model for on course behavior. Just calling it like I see it. Watson has had anger problems in the past.

Angry golfers -- and every weekend warrior has encountered players who throw their clubs, emit expletives, and are generally unpleasant to be around -- would do well to emulate Bubba Watson’s on-course demeanor. The formerly petulant and winless Watson changed his outlook, chilled out, and suddenly, after earning the Zurich Classic title Sunday, he’s a three-time PGA Tour winner and the tour’s best U.S. player.Living the dream. T’wasn’t always so, as Watson’s wife Angie would attest. “She told me that I’m playing golf for a living. It’s a dream come true, and I’ve got to play differently. I’ve got to act differently,” Watson told reporters following his victory Sunday over Webb Simpson on the second playoff hole at New Orleans’ TPC Louisiana.
There was a time when hitting a bad shot would send the boomer into a fit of pique that kept him from the winner’s circle and made for an uncomfortable round for his playing partners. Just ask Steve Elkington and Shigeki Maruyama -- or anyone else who happened, in 2008, to be in the vicinity of Watson when he went ballistic on the same course and in the same event as Sunday’s win.
During the second round of that tourney, Watson took his stance to hit an approach shot to the 10th green but backed off and unloaded on Elkington and his caddy. "You gonna stop walking, man? Damn!" Watson said, according to Nola.com. "You did it all day yesterday. I'll tell you what, veterans can kiss my ass!"
Golf Channel caught Watson, who reportedly dropped Tiger Woods’ favorite f-bomb, among other unmentionables, in all his furious glory. Watson later said he regretted his actions and issued a public apology to everyone involved.
It took awhile for the fiery Watson to adjust his attitude and he considers himself to be a work-in-progress, but the results have been indisputable. Not that long ago, Watson would undoubtedly have let his emotions get the better of him had he faced situations similar to those he did on Sunday.
Take the par-3 ninth hole, where he addressed the ball but stepped away after cheers from the 18th interrupted his routine. When he hit his shot, it clanked into wooden beams lining the side of the green and caromed into the water. Watson wound up with a double-bogey, a result that in times past may have sent the golfer into a tailspin.
Instead, Watson gathered himself and told his caddie, “You don’t have to worry about me. I’m in it,” according to the Associated Press. He kept his composure, outlasted good friend Webb Simpson in overtime, and hoisted his third trophy in the last year.
Watson credited his wife with his new-found approach, which includes taking better care of himself, practicing more, and acting more professionally on the course. The changes have produced a better game that combines Watson’s prodigious length off the tee huge with pin-point accuracy.
Set a good example. "She [his wife] told me to pick my head up. And not be a bad person on the golf course, I guess you could say,” he told reporters. “I've got to act differently. If I'm going to support kids and do charity work, that's not a good example to lead on a golf course. So I still have backwards steps, but hopefully I take two forward when I take one back, and so far it's working."
That’s for sure. The three-time winner is now among the top-10 golfers in the world. Watson will go for his fourth tour win this week at the Wells Fargo Championship at Quail Hollow Golf Club in Charlotte, N.C.

I'm a fan of his golf game....I choose not to pay attention to his social scene. That's just me. I can find 50 people that have nothing but great things to say about him and another 50 that have nothing but bad things to say. Don't care. Play good golf and continue to hit shots that we've never seen before and I'm gonna root for him. I just respect good golf.

I can dig it. There's no denying hes extremely talented I just don't understand trying to defend some of his antics.

For every "hater" like me there is a homer out there as well I guess.

I can dig it. There's no denying hes extremely talented I just don't understand trying to defend some of his antics.

For every "hater" like me there is a homer out there as well I guess.

Perception is reality and I try very hard not to judge people....except Appleby. He is dead to me.

Just saw the video for the first time. I love watching Bubba hit golf balls that's for sure, and I understand why others don't care for his on-course antics, but I guess I just don't care about that.

I love the video but I am at a crossroads with Bubba. I was a huge fan for a long time. Every year I spend a lot of time at The Travelers Championship. I witnessed Bubba's first win there and for years he was great with fans all week long. Then last year a different Bubba showed up at TPC River Highlands. He was cranky and could not be bothered with the fans. I'm talking Mon-Weds. I was shocked but just chalked it up to him having a bad day, hell we all have those days. Then this year while standing 10 feet away from him I saw and heard him get really flippant with a photographer on a Wednesday for no reason. For years I have photographed professional sporting events and this photog was was not even close to being in the wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a cool video. At first I was suspicious that it was a planned and paid publicity stunt, but since June 18th it only has just over 1k views. I would think if Ping or Golfsmith paid him for it they'd make sure it went more viral than that.

Then cry?

You've mentioned that more than once. That's getting personal well beyond anger issues isn't it?

Until I go from unknown to champion millionaire overnight, a corporation of myself with others depending on my performance for their livelihood, I'm not going to judge. He needs to mature as a top golfer and appears to be.

Time to move on.

You've mentioned that more than once. That's getting personal well beyond anger issues isn't it?

Until I go from unknown to champion millionaire overnight, a corporation of myself with others depending on my performance for their livelihood, I'm not going to judge. He needs to mature as a top golfer and appears to be.

Time to move on.

You are right, it probably is time to move on. I will say that most of his crazy anger stems from before he became a champion of any sorts on the tour. Perhaps Tiger is right, winning takes care of everything.

Time to move on.

It's a fact. How is that personal?

You act as though I'm just making this stuff up.

Time to move on and defend someone who deserves it.

Oh and plenty of People have handled that transformation just fine. Never mind the fact Bubba has been like this long before he was famous for anything other than being a spaz and having a piss poor attitude.

I get that he's obviously you're hero but let's not ignore the facts here.

who said that? I said his wife talked to him about his anger issues.

That's true you didn't and I didn't mean to suggest it. He was called one at least twice in this thread and I meant that I'm sure his wife didn't refer to him as one.

We all threatened to take our ball and go home when we were children. Did he quit? Then he understands, or its overblown, or the caddie was being a baby, or it's worth the money. For these guys it's a business. Bad behavior if the norm is inexcusable. An occasional blow up is different. Be adult about it when adult stakes are at risk.

So gang up, ridicule, but if you hate Bubba, it's what you bring up. Poor caddie. On his way to becoming a millionaire if not already.

Bubba's good for the game, good for his caddie, fun to watch. What's to hate?

Gotta admit this made me laugh out.

I get that he's obviously you're hero but let's not ignore the facts here.

No favorites on tour. Never cared much about celebrity in any form. Can enjoy watching them play without putting them on a pedestal. Not a fan of tearing folks down though either. Some go too far, get too personal and have far fewer facts than they think.

Tired topic.

Cool vid. Bottom line is he's not perfect. Nobody is.
But he is a very good golfer. There's no denying that.

Meh, still not a fan of Bubba. I feel like he's a phony and does this kind of stuff to hide his true self. I could be wrong, but that's just how I see it. Woulda been cool to see him pick up the tab for the guy he did the long drive contest with.

I might enjoy watching him hit some crazy shots on the course, but I don't enjoy hearing about him from people I know who have worked/volunteered at events up here in the Northeast. I find it tough to root for him when I hear about how he is when the video cameras aren't on him.

Are there other players like that out there on the tour? Most definitely. Not saying it's only Bubba. But the vids and stories of him being uber friendly and generous don't offset how he is and how he treats others when it's not a publicity thing. I do think he's calmed down a lot (hey, becoming a parent did the same for me too) and I do hope that he realizes how he's treated others and acted for years affects how others view him more than these gimmick vids.

Back