beerfinger

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I'm a 22 handicap. Just got brand new set of Cleveland irons that I love. Now it's time to get a new driver (and fairway wood).

Leaning towards these drivers...

Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Tour
Ping i25
Callaway X2 Hot
Cobra Bio Cell
Titleist 913 D2

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I'd look at the Cobra stuff. Either the Bio Cell or the AMP Cell stuff from last year. Plenty of performance and really forgiving. Also you can get them for a small drop in the bucket. Perhaps some of the JetSpeed line too.

What type of ball flight do you have now and are you looking to change it? Any idea of what type of launch/spin numbers you put up? What's your miss on the face? What's your miss directionally?

Yeah that's the way I was leaning too. Thinking of heading to a Golfsmith and getting fitted for one soon.

Thanks.

What type of ball flight do you have now and are you looking to change it? Any idea of what type of launch/spin numbers you put up? What's your miss on the face? What's your miss directionally?

Not quite sure. That's why I'm thinking I'll need the fitting. I've done it before but I don't remember the numbers. I know my spin rate was pretty high because of my slice, but I've corrected some of that so it doesn't pop up as much as it used to.

I'm a 22 handicap. Just got brand new set of Cleveland irons that I love. Now it's time to get a new driver (and fairway wood).

Leaning towards these drivers...

Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Tour
Ping i25
Callaway X2 Hot
Cobra Bio Cell
Titleist 913 D2

Any thoughts/suggestions?

first of all welcome to THP!

out of these, the cobra or the Titleist might be the friendlier options for a 22 HDCP, but since you liek your cleveland irons, you might want to try the 588 line of woods, they have the best stock shaft around, and they just had a pretty good price drop on cleveland's website

Fist let me just say congrats on the new irons, by looking at your sig that is a quality set and you will love them. I would throw in the Big bertha driver into your testing a lot of good reviews from people.

I'd put strong consideration the Amp Cell as well.

You love your Cleveland irons you said, have you tried the Cleveland drivers?
Based on what you posted, you have a pretty decent mix of drivers, but they are very different in terms of forgiveness and performance.

first of all welcome to THP!

out of these, the cobra or the Titleist might be the friendlier options for a 22 HDCP, but since you liek your cleveland irons, you might want to try the 588 line of woods, they have the best stock shaft around, and they just had a pretty good price drop on cleveland's website

Thanks! I'd love to try Cleveland's driver (even though I heard it's not very forgiving). The only issue is I find a lot of shops don't carry a lot of Cleveland stuff, so it's harder. But I'll definitely give it a shot and try to find one that does.

Fist let me just say congrats on the new irons, by looking at your sig that is a quality set and you will love them. I would throw in the Big bertha driver into your testing a lot of good reviews from people.

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

You love your Cleveland irons you said, have you tried the Cleveland drivers?
Based on what you posted, you have a pretty decent mix of drivers, but they are very different in terms of forgiveness and performance.

You mean irons?

You mean irons?

No. You said you got a brand new set of Cleveland irons that you love.
Then listed drivers that you are considering.

My question was that since you love your Cleveland irons, why not try the Cleveland drivers to see if you love them equally. Since the Cleveland drivers were not on your list.

No. You said you got a brand new set of Cleveland irons that you love.
Then listed drivers that you are considering.

My question was that since you love your Cleveland irons, why not try the Cleveland drivers to see if you love them equally. Since the Cleveland drivers were not on your list.

Oh got it. Sorry, misunderstood.

Yes MPlefty suggested that above. Hoping I can find a store that carries them and will let me test them out.

Thx

I guess the real question is what are you looking for in a driver? As a 22 handicap there's a lot left unsaid about what you'd like, ie forgiveness, spin (unrelated to slice), aesthetics, stock shaft. I think best is to get a fitting with as many options as possible and let that help you decide as your initial list has quite a variety of different drivers designed for different tee games.

Done. Just went and got fitted and purchased the Nike VRS Covert 2.0 driver. It was by far the best driver I was hitting. Second closest was the Ping G25.

Can't wait to take it out onto the links tomorrow.

Congrats on your new driver. Enjoy it.

Thanks! Now I just have to figure out how to get my handicap lower to something like yours. :)

Thanks! Now I just have to figure out how to get my handicap lower to something like yours. :)

Oh that will be about 5 drivers from now. ;-)

Kidding of course. Work on your game, enjoy yourself, and allow yourself to grow familiar with your equipment. Best of luck with the new stick!

Glad you found the right driver. Hit em well!

Finally got these results:

My average clubhead speed is 97 Mph.
Average ball speed is 142 for a 1.46 smash factor.
Launch Angle: 13.2
Spin Rate: 3022

There's not data on where I was hitting on the clubface. My dispersion was pretty wild. Mostly still dealing with a slice though.

Glad you found a driver that works for you. Enjoy the big stick!

Back