Contest #1 - 2014 #TheGrandaddy - The Event Of A Lifetime

I have no problem saying I'd probably be a little teary.
If that makes me less of a man, I guess I am less manly...

I hear ya buddy. I guess my point is that it's not a scripted thing. It is what it is. For me it's was a whole lot more than playing golf, or getting in on "big" event. It was much deeper than that. It was pretty effing cool to see how this "internet site" had effected me deep down to the core. That's the power of a good thing

The odds are stacked heavily against any one of us getting in. I think I go in expecting not to get in and that way if it doesn't happen in any of the seven contests I am shielded from the disappointment of it.

The past 24 hours in this thread has been a FANTASTIC and eye opening discussion. The #dreamteam worked their asses off last year and put in the work to be the best golfers they could be.

I don't recall us openly discussing the handicap format and strategy in such detail last year ahead of the event but I could definitely be mistaken there. I think it's awesome that we can all talk about it this far in advance and truly realize what it means and how it will be used in this event.

Your handicap is a reflection of your golfing ability. HOW that handicap is built goes MUCH further than I think some realize. Make that handicap travel....and put yourself in positions where you are under pressure, until you do that you simply don't know how you will perform in an event such as this.

I know I should be lower than a mid 11 right now. I intend to be sub 9 by December.....but I can guarantee you I will be able to confidently take that index with me anywhere I go.

Lastly.....we don't have a winner for this first contest yet!!!! Anyone anxious yet? :angel:

Team #BasementDwellers will soon have 2.....and I can't wait to find out whom it is.

Great advice from our captain, he speaks the truth!!!

I hear ya buddy. I guess my point is that it's not a scripted thing. It is what it is. For me it's was a whole lot more than playing golf, or getting in on "big" event. It was much deeper than that. It was pretty effing cool to see how this "internet site" had effected me deep down to the core. That's the power of a good thing

I have been part of other online communities. I used to run the main one for my alma mater. But I never talked about any of them publicly like I do THP. This place really is different, and better.

I hope we get a bunch of people rolling tape. So awesome to see the reactions when people see their name selected for an event like this.

I hope we get a bunch of people rolling tape. So awesome to see the reactions when people see their name selected for an event like this.

Truth bro! It's pretty awesome

I found myself daydreaming about it yesterday, and what I would do, but Ill keep that a secret for now, just in case...

~Rock

The past 24 hours in this thread has been a FANTASTIC and eye opening discussion. The #dreamteam worked their asses off last year and put in the work to be the best golfers they could be.

I don't recall us openly discussing the handicap format and strategy in such detail last year ahead of the event but I could definitely be mistaken there. I think it's awesome that we can all talk about it this far in advance and truly realize what it means and how it will be used in this event.

Your handicap is a reflection of your golfing ability. HOW that handicap is built goes MUCH further than I think some realize. Make that handicap travel....and put yourself in positions where you are under pressure, until you do that you simply don't know how you will perform in an event such as this.

I know I should be lower than a mid 11 right now. I intend to be sub 9 by December.....but I can guarantee you I will be able to confidently take that index with me anywhere I go.

Lastly.....we don't have a winner for this first contest yet!!!! Anyone anxious yet? :angel:

Team #BasementDwellers will soon have 2.....and I can't wait to find out whom it is.

Am I anxious...am I anxious? I am as anxious as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs !

The odds are stacked heavily against any one of us getting in. I think I go in expecting not to get in and that way if it doesn't happen in any of the seven contests I am shielded from the disappointment of it.
7 of us thought the very same thing last year. And when comes down to the final spot..... You just never know!

I wouldnt do that!Prepare as if you are already in. It does 2 things:

1. If you get in, you will be on track (I guarantee you the #Zoocrew is practicing)
2. It makes you a better golfer

Win-Win either way. Start grinding now

I will tell you it's dependent on your frame of mind. I won't post my reactionary video, but suffice to say it was raw with emotions. I'm starting to wonder if I'm like That guy on the tour. A tear is eminent. Lol

I remember talking with you right after you were chosen. I believe you said you almost fell off a roof! Lol

Absolutely tons of awesome stuff this past 36 hours on match play and handicaps. The Texas Golf Association has a State Team Play series, where various associations are placed in divisions. Then, the assoc. play round robin against each other in 4-ball match play. Handicaps are used. Having handicaps involved does add another level of thinking, that folks new to the process will sometimes forget once they get on the course.

We all talk about playing the hole, playing the opponent, playing based on match status, etc. But, the one thing I noticed during team play, was players forgetting about who was getting shots on that particular hole. On the teebox, players are looking at hole layout, deciding on clubs, then on approach shots doing the same thing. Finally, when it came to putting, there were times when a player may not remember his opponent is getting a shot, or that the player himself, or his partner, are getting a shot. Sometimes a "concession" would occur thinking you'd won the hole. But, with that extra shot, it effects the Win/Lose/Draw of that particular hole.

So, on every tee box, it is very important to be congnizant of who is getting shots on that hole. In a handicapped format, with 4-ball, sometimes nobody is getting a shot, sometimes it's 1, 2 or 3 players getting a shot. It seems obvious. But, in 5 events, I saw this happen, in almost every match, at least once.

Absolutely tons of awesome stuff this past 36 hours on match play and handicaps. The Texas Golf Association has a State Team Play series, where various associations are placed in divisions. Then, the assoc. play round robin against each other in 4-ball match play. Handicaps are used. Having handicaps involved does add another level of thinking, that folks new to the process will sometimes forget once they get on the course.

We all talk about playing the hole, playing the opponent, playing based on match status, etc. But, the one thing I noticed during team play, was players forgetting about who was getting shots on that particular hole. On the teebox, players are looking at hole layout, deciding on clubs, then on approach shots doing the same thing. Finally, when it came to putting, there were times when a player may not remember his opponent is getting a shot, or that the player himself, or his partner, are getting a shot. Sometimes a "concession" would occur thinking you'd won the hole. But, with that extra shot, it effects the Win/Lose/Draw of that particular hole.

So, on every tee box, it is very important to be congnizant of who is getting shots on that hole. In a handicapped format, with 4-ball, sometimes nobody is getting a shot, sometimes it's 1, 2 or 3 players getting a shot. It seems obvious. But, in 5 events, I saw this happen, in almost every match, at least once.

Put dots on a scorecard for the holes your are giving/getting strokes on before the match and toss it in your back pocket. I always do this before a match even if I'm not keep the official card if there is one. That way I don't have to rely on info from someone else or be questioning it at any point.

Put dots on a scorecard for the holes your are giving/getting strokes on before the match and toss it in your back pocket. I always do this before a match even if I'm not keep the official card if there is one. That way I don't have to rely on info from someone else or be questioning it at any point.

I also recommend the GHIN iphone app (not sure if it is on other devices). You can look up your own ghin index, calculate your handicap for any course based on slope. But the coolest thing is that you can create a group and look up any other players handicap that has a ghin number with their ghin number or name/state. It will tell you who is and isn't getting strokes in that group and obviously how many. Seems easy but handicap changes based on your index and course/tee ratings.

I also recommend the GHIN iphone app (not sure if it is on other devices). You can look up your own ghin index, calculate your handicap for any course based on slope. But the coolest thing is that you can create a group and look up any other players handicap that has a ghin number with their ghin number or name/state. It will tell you who is and isn't getting strokes in that group and obviously how many. Seems easy but handicap changes based on your index and course/tee ratings.

Just a heads up for those that use the US Handicap. GHIN app won't work with that.

Using the dot system on the score card helped me out a ton at #TheKing. I've started using that with my friends for our small money games here.

At the #grandaddy, the dots were already put on the scorecards for us and it was something we discussed on our drive to each tee box.

I wouldnt do that!Prepare as if you are already in. It does 2 things:

1. If you get in, you will be on track (I guarantee you the #Zoocrew is practicing)
2. It makes you a better golfer

Win-Win either way. Start grinding now

The effort I give to my golf game is significant already. I'm don't need this as an excuse to practice more. I would strongly wager I practice as much or more than most people (simply because of convenience and availability). I also have a lot to work on so it's hardly wasted time. :) Regardless of if I get into this, I have a goal for handicap, and a goal to be a strong consistent ball striker. That doesn't change whether or not I make this team.

But, from the emotional standpoint, I find it's better for me to not get my hopes up for getting in. Would I be thrilled to get in? Absolutely. This is a rare opportunity. But what I don't need in my life is a case of the blues because I didn't get in. For me personally, not for anyone else.

At the #grandaddy, the dots were already put on the scorecards for us and it was something we discussed on our drive to each tee box.
That's how events are always done at my home course, the scorecard has it all on their for you.

On our weekly matches it's pretty easy to follow along with the handicaps on the holes, you just have to grab everyone's course handicap before the round, remember it'll be your course handicap based on the slope of the course, not just your GHIN.

The anticipation is killing me :)

Finally caught up. Wow; easy to see how us sharing collective experiences, cautions, and advice will prove utterly instrumental in our quest for redemption. What we might expect, the proper attitude, preparation ideas etc... Personally I found the extensive match play / handicap discussion particularly enlightening. I answered lingering questions from my past. I had a 3 year run where I had the top cumulative match play W/L record in each season along with a low net in an annual stroke play championship during the streak. As you can guess, runs like that can bring about sandbagger accusations but our club ran a strict handicap policy, and upon investigation, I always had several rounds at or lower than those in competition on my ledger. You all cleared it up for me with the excellent discussion within. I now believe I was blessed with a competitive edge in 3 key ways. 1) My job at the time had me traveling all over the country extensively, and while traveling I found ways to get in even more golf than I should, so my cap wasn't based on my home course. (make sure your cap travels) 2) I had an attitude toward golf and competitors where I enjoyed it all and knew bad shots were part of it so wasn't rattled by them (I think MOST of us here do too). 3-the biggie) My handicap was valid. I think ego got the better of so many of those I competed with then. The need to say/think "I'm an 8" when in truth if the counted em all and played it down they were probably 12s. (be legit too - #zoocrew undoubtably is).

Last edited:
Just saying...follow the captain and see what happens this year.

egadyva5.jpg

Chomping on some #zoocrew

Hahahahaha, that's awesome.

This may get a bit crazy over the next 5 months!!

Back