Help My Swing Please

Matt14

Reaction score
Handicap
This is my driver swing. My normal miss is a block/slice to the right.

my normal miss with my irons is a severe pull to the left. I'll upload my iron swing once it's done uploading to youtube.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Here's my swing with my 52 degree wedge.

i keep pulling my short irons.

I saw something weird in your driver swing. as you too the club away you looked back but when it reached the top you looked back at the ball. It did not seem to affect your swing but it caught me off guard.

The only I would change in your swing is the path of the club on the down swing. the club is moving left in a big way and this is not allowing for full extension through the hit zone. Don't get me wrong, that driver shot was solid but left. I'd like to see the ball moving right to left or just dead straight. Try to imagine swinging just to the right side of 2nd base if you are standing at home plate. don't change anything other than that and let me know what happens.

Your swing works and does not need a lot of tweaking so try what I suggested and let me know how that works out for you.

Thanks Tadashi, i'll give this a try.

So line up a little right of my target and play a draw, right?

Went to the range to hit a bucket today and tried what you told me.

First swing was dead straight.
Second Swing had a little draw.
Third swing was a pull. i tried to hit this last one hard to see if there is anything i do differently when i swing harder.

one thing i noticed is that on the first one, it sounded a little thin. the next two, i hit the mat. I'm guessing that's why the next two were a draw and a pull?

Went to the range today and tried hitting to the right of 2nd base. Aside from one shot (1:35ish), all were either severe slices (beginning of video) or bad pulls (end of video). Before the video, was trying to use this swing on my 5 irons and was hitting the ball very well with a slight draw.

Went to the range today and tried hitting to the right of 2nd base. Aside from one shot (1:35ish), all were either severe slices (beginning of video) or bad pulls (end of video). Before the video, was trying to use this swing on my 5 irons and was hitting the ball very well with a slight draw.

I see early in the video you kept checking the club face...any chance you were making contact towards the heel instead of center or toe? I can tell you I seem to be doing that constantly with my driver this year and the closer to the heel, the worse that undesirable slice spin gets.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I see early in the video you kept checking the club face...any chance you were making contact towards the heel instead of center or toe? I can tell you I seem to be doing that constantly with my driver this year and the closer to the heel, the worse that undesirable slice spin gets.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

from what i recall, i was hitting the ball more on the toe that day. It's so weird because prior to Tadashi's advice, i was hitting a mean hook and now i'm hitting nothing but push-slices.

I went out and played on Saturday and shot +14 86 after hitting only 3 fairways. One of which was with my 2 hybrid because it was a 250yd hole.

I've constantly been thinking about what Tadashi said and have been trying to swing out toward right field while at the range last week but it seemed like 1/5 of my shots(if i was lucky) would actually draw. I then was browsing the internet and came across an article with Justin Rose talking about his swing.

So i tried chasing the ball with my right shoulder and wala i'm hitting a draw. Just thought I'd share this with anyone having issues with hitting a draw.

I had a severe slice with my driver and what helped me get an inside out swing path that Tadashi described was taking a steeper (more vertical) take away. Your mileage may vary.

I think what you are doing is lining up with a closed stance in an effort to hit to the right of second base. In your last video your feet are lined up slightly to the right of your target line. You need to line up parallel (to the left) of your target line. I think if you make this slight adjustment and try to swing to the right of second base you will be blown away. For one it will free up your swing and allow you to start right and turn the ball over. It will feel strange at first but with a good setup and that same motion you will see the desired results, freeing yourself up will also likely allow you to gain some distance.

I think what you are doing is lining up with a closed stance in an effort to hit to the right of second base. In your last video your feet are lined up slightly to the right of your target line. You need to line up parallel (to the left) of your target line. I think if you make this slight adjustment and try to swing to the right of second base you will be blown away. For one it will free up your swing and allow you to start right and turn the ball over. It will feel strange at first but with a good setup and that same motion you will see the desired results, freeing yourself up will also likely allow you to gain some distance.

A closed stance promotes and inside out swing path. This is what he needed an inside out swing path.

High-handicap advice so take with caution... Your left arm/shoulder seem to dominate the backswing while the right arm seems like dead-weight. It should be even 50-50.

A closed stance promotes and inside out swing path. This is what he needed an inside out swing path.

I agree that a closed stance can encourage an inside out swing path, but in the video it wasn't working and he was pulling across the ball and as he said, hitting pulls and slices. I think an inside out swing path should promote itself and should not be tied to poor alignment. A closed stance is one thing but for your feet to be to the right of the target is too severe IMO.

To the OP, please take my view with a grain of salt. I see my miss in your swing and the above is what worked for me. Where in CA are you?

I agree that a closed stance can encourage an inside out swing path, but in the video it wasn't working and he was pulling across the ball and as he said, hitting pulls and slices. I think an inside out swing path should promote itself and should not be tied to poor alignment. A closed stance is one thing but for your feet to be to the right of the target is too severe IMO.

To the OP, please take my view with a grain of salt. I see my miss in your swing and the above is what worked for me. Where in CA are you?

I've probably read Tadashi's advice 50 times now and i finally realized how bad i'm pulling it to the left which was initially causing my slice.

I just looked up Rory's swing since he's known for having a good draw and noticed how much higher his follow through is compared to mine.

I feel like i need to work on trying to follow through toward where i want to start the ball?

i'll work on your advice and see what happens. Thanks

i'm in Los Angeles.

Went to the range with some friends Monday night after not touching a club for the past 2 weeks. I didn't have my clubs with me so i used a buddy's.

I SHANKED EVERY SINGLE SHOT

I started off with the usual wedge (PW/GW) and 100% were shanked.

Moved on to an 8i and shanked all of those as well aside from maybe 2/5 that were topped.

Finished off with Driver and was hitting the worst snap hooks i've ever hit.

Side note, I watched the first half of this video before i went to the range. I'm pretty sure this f*cked with my head a bit BUT i showed it to my friend before we went and he was hitting his shots the same as he normally does…

Could over accentuating the hips and standing taller than I normally do cause these problems?

[video=youtube_share;SwJM-eBnTb4]http://youtu.be/SwJM-eBnTb4[/video]

Went to the range with some friends Monday night after not touching a club for the past 2 weeks. I didn't have my clubs with me so i used a buddy's.

I SHANKED EVERY SINGLE SHOT

I started off with the usual wedge (PW/GW) and 100% were shanked.

Moved on to an 8i and shanked all of those as well aside from maybe 2/5 that were topped.

Finished off with Driver and was hitting the worst snap hooks i've ever hit.

Side note, I watched the first half of this video before i went to the range. I'm pretty sure this f*cked with my head a bit BUT i showed it to my friend before we went and he was hitting his shots the same as he normally does…

Could over accentuating the hips and standing taller than I normally do cause these problems?

[video=youtube_share;SwJM-eBnTb4]http://youtu.be/SwJM-eBnTb4[/video]

Honestly man stop watching 2 or 3 videos every time you go to the range.

First thing I see is when you make your move to the ball your hands drop badly. I would try and get that hinge figured out and turn through the ball. Also when you go out to the range go with a purpose and hit at flags. Visualize shots like you were on a course and start to get a better feel for what your natural swing is doing.

If you are having trouble hitting it every direction try focusing on setting up to the ball the same way every time. Alignment from the feet, shoulders, ball position, hand position and grip.

My second piece of advice once you fix your setup is to make sure you are turning that belly button to your target at your finish.Every time that follow through happens your stomach should point right at the target.

Hope this helps.

Changing alignment as a means to promote a certain shape is recommended by many top instructors.

I've probably read Tadashi's advice 50 times now and i finally realized how bad i'm pulling it to the left which was initially causing my slice.

I just looked up Rory's swing since he's known for having a good draw and noticed how much higher his follow through is compared to mine.

I feel like i need to work on trying to follow through toward where i want to start the ball?

i'll work on your advice and see what happens. Thanks

i'm in Los Angeles.

Also notice how well he clears his hips. It's not just about the follow through position.

Ok little update, I played 2 weeks ago and shot +9 with two double bogeys(81). No huge mistakes I'm concerned about (skulled 1 and duffed 1 bunker shot, a few 3 putts and was short on 2-3 holes from the fairway).

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to tell if i'm hitting my irons short relative to my driver. Below is a breakdown of my club distances.

-----> All distances are carry <-------
Lw 60 degree: 75-90yds
Gw 52 degree:100-115 yds
Pw: 120-135yds
9i: 135-145yds
8i:145-155yds
7i:155-165yds
6i:165-170yds
5i:175-185yds
4i:180-190yds
3i:185-200yds
2h:200-215yds
3w:235-245yds (15 degree with a regular flex, in the process of replacing)
Driver: 275-285yds consistently

I've noticed that when I try to hit my irons harder, they ALWAYS have a higher ball flight. I'm guessing i'm coming steep and they're getting a ton of backspin? I tend to hit my wedges, 9i, 8i and 7i very steep compared to my 6i, 5i, 4i, & 3i which i hit more similar to a driver. Is this wrong?

I'm not really concerned about my iron distances and consider it more of an ego thing BUT it would be nice to unlock some distance i'm holding back.

Any help greatly appreciated.

our distances are about 5y apart on irons (you hit yours farther than i hit mine), but your swing looks significantly faster than mine. my driver avgs 93mph, carry 225 total 250. so yeah, i would say you're not getting everything out of your irons.

on the pic of you vs rory, look at his spine angle vs yours. he still has tilt, with very steep shoulders at impact; your spine is almost vertical. in my opinion, you have an early extension issue. youtube drills to correct it. also make sure your hamstrings are stretched out, and you are strengthening your core. you appear to be in good shape, but it's easy to neglect the muscles that support an athletic golf swing.

you mentioned an issue with the shanks. again, i would say this could very well be a result of early extension. it also looks like your swing plane is getting too far outside-in, hence tadashi's advice to swing out to right field. but if you're crowding the ball with your lower body AND swinging inside-out, that could definitely lead to the shanks.

i highly recommend lessons. there's no better way to improve. and whatever you do, NEVER again watch that stupid video that says rory is the most inefficient driver of the golf ball ever.

Your distances are fine. I worry about the gapping at the top end of your bag but other than that the iron are good.
Ok little update, I played 2 weeks ago and shot +9 with two double bogeys(81). No huge mistakes I'm concerned about (skulled 1 and duffed 1 bunker shot, a few 3 putts and was short on 2-3 holes from the fairway).

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to tell if i'm hitting my irons short relative to my driver. Below is a breakdown of my club distances.

-----> All distances are carry <-------
Lw 60 degree: 75-90yds
Gw 52 degree:100-115 yds
Pw: 120-135yds
9i: 135-145yds
8i:145-155yds
7i:155-165yds
6i:165-170yds
5i:175-185yds
4i:180-190yds
3i:185-200yds
2h:200-215yds
3w:235-245yds (15 degree with a regular flex, in the process of replacing)
Driver: 275-285yds consistently

I've noticed that when I try to hit my irons harder, they ALWAYS have a higher ball flight. I'm guessing i'm coming steep and they're getting a ton of backspin? I tend to hit my wedges, 9i, 8i and 7i very steep compared to my 6i, 5i, 4i, & 3i which i hit more similar to a driver. Is this wrong?

I'm not really concerned about my iron distances and consider it more of an ego thing BUT it would be nice to unlock some distance i'm holding back.

Any help greatly appreciated.

our distances are about 5y apart on irons (you hit yours farther than i hit mine), but your swing looks significantly faster than mine. my driver avgs 93mph, carry 225 total 250. so yeah, i would say you're not getting everything out of your irons.

on the pic of you vs rory, look at his spine angle vs yours. he still has tilt, with very steep shoulders at impact; your spine is almost vertical. in my opinion, you have an early extension issue. youtube drills to correct it. also make sure your hamstrings are stretched out, and you are strengthening your core. you appear to be in good shape, but it's easy to neglect the muscles that support an athletic golf swing.

you mentioned an issue with the shanks. again, i would say this could very well be a result of early extension. it also looks like your swing plane is getting too far outside-in, hence tadashi's advice to swing out to right field. but if you're crowding the ball with your lower body AND swinging inside-out, that could definitely lead to the shanks.

i highly recommend lessons. there's no better way to improve. and whatever you do, NEVER again watch that stupid video that says rory is the most inefficient driver of the golf ball ever.

thanks caeleric, i just watch a video with a drill and am going to work on that. Based on what you pointed out, i'm definitely dealing with an early extension issue.

i went to the range this afternoon and literally shanked almost every full shot i hit. I normally have a bad time at the range if i haven't hit balls or played in a while and today was no exception. Only club i was hitting half decent was my 3wood and gap wedge (warm up chip shots).

thanks caeleric, i just watch a video with a drill and am going to work on that. Based on what you pointed out, i'm definitely dealing with an early extension issue.

i went to the range this afternoon and literally shanked almost every full shot i hit. I normally have a bad time at the range if i haven't hit balls or played in a while and today was no exception. Only club i was hitting half decent was my 3wood and gap wedge (warm up chip shots).

remember to keep it simple. just because a drill isn't immediately the panacea you're seeking doesn't mean it won't eventually work. only work on one thing at a time. that's what i love about my instructor. he saw a multitude of things wrong with my swing, and we've been slowly addressing them over the course of almost 2 years. it's also nice that he only wants to get together 2-3 times a year; the rest of the time is practice and playing.

i too struggle with the shanks. early extension is an issue with me, and i can get really flat with my swing plane. sometimes it's good to just walk away from the game for a couple weeks, then come back. in golf, practice makes habit, and does not always make perfect.

Back