The "No Time to Practice" Blues...

Boston_golfer

Reaction score
Man, it's frustrating. This year, I've been playing as much as possible, but I haven't had much time to practice. I've taken about 3-4 lessons that last 3 months or so, but what good are they when I don't practice. It's frustrating going out without at least a few range sessions in between. I'm glad getting I'm getting out there, but it'd be nice to actually see some improvement. I'm not gonna complain too much, I'd much rather be playing badly than not at all.

Having kids is REALLY affecting my golf game, lol.

Kids have made me appreciate the game more.

Range time is somewhat precious. Maybe play twice a week and range time it once?

What about tying up a sheet between two trees and hitting a couple dozens balls in the early morning or at dusk? You can at least work on some mechanics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm gonna set up my Callaway net in the yard, and bring out the ES12 "launch monitor".... I need more info when hitting though. My hits are so all over the place, I need to know "where" it ends up.

i know the feeling since my kids were born my practice has dropped significantly

I'm gonna set up my Callaway net in the yard, and bring out the ES12 "launch monitor".... I need more info when hitting though. My hits are so all over the place, I need to know "where" it ends up.

Impact tape and divot pattern will tell you that. Don't be so result driven. A quality strike is a quality strike.

Impact tape and divot pattern will tell you that. Don't be so result driven. A quality strike is a quality strike.

This is so true. Most of my lessons with my normal instructor are into a net with no LM and impact tape. Even at the range I don't focus on where it went, and more on the impact.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

What is practice?? I am working 50-60 hrs a week so my 1-3 rounds a week is all I get and I'm thankful I get that. I would LOVE to be able to hit the range 1-(where is the infinity symbol) times a week. But it is not in the cards. I love hold and will take what I can get.

Man, it's frustrating. This year, I've been playing as much as possible, but I haven't had much time to practice. I've taken about 3-4 lessons that last 3 months or so, but what good are they when I don't practice. It's frustrating going out without at least a few range sessions in between. I'm glad getting I'm getting out there, but it'd be nice to actually see some improvement. I'm not gonna complain too much, I'd much rather be playing badly than not at all.

Kids can be tough on the game for sure, I'd go nuts without practice time.

You've got to make due with what you've got sometimes. I have a putter at the office, along with a SKILZ weighted swing trainer. I'll use those on lunch break, and at home I have an old wedge in my spare room that I do slow motion mirror swings with. Or at night, I'll spend 30 mins in the backyard chipping and pitching to work on trajectory and distance. My kids are 13 and 8, with all the activities they have I know EXACTLY what you mean about time. Figuring out alternative practice methods is part of the fun.

I took my 4 year old to the par 3 course with me. Brought her little clubs with us. I thought "Great! We get to spend time together, she gets some outside time, and learns to love golf....and I get to practice!" It was GREAT for her. The course was dead, so she got to 25-putt at every hole....and lose my balls with her 7 iron, lol. She didn't really understand the concept of standing back and not talking in daddy's back swing, so the trip was pointless for me (from a practice standpoint)....

Well, what may be worse is when you do have the time, but physically you just can't practice that much - sucks!

my practice blues is the afternoon FL Storms, that have been hitting just about everyday for the last few weeks

That's the wonderful thing about Golf I'm learning. Got the rest of your life to play since it will be around til I'm old and gray. I maybe get to play monthly if that but try to get to the range at least a few times a month. Doesn't always happen. Got a kid and wife so the husband/father duties are first priority. I have used the Birdie balls to practice my irons with in the yard but not the same as hitting actual balls. putting on indoor carpet isn't the same either but oh well. Got a set for my son but he really just likes the kart ride when I play. I hear ya tho! Not enough time in the day sometimes.

Kids in bed by 8pm and off to the range 2-3x a week over here. Luckily I have a range 20 minutes away with lights until 10pm. If not, I'd be in your situation too.

Perhaps you need to compromise with yourself. Its obviously bothering you so you may want to decide to give up some playing for some practice instead. Or how about an hour (bucket) at the range and then play 9 on some of the otherwise 18hole playing days. Just may be you will find that happy medium to satisfy the situation.

Ok, yes, kids, especially new ones, alter our life schedules. I used to pracice 3-4 times a week, and play 2 days a week. Post kid, I got to the point of practicing maybe twice a month, but still got to play twice a week. Honestly, I play better now, and have a better mindset now, than I did prior to my kid. I quickly realized how nice it is to be able to come home from work, or a round of golf, and have the little guy run up to me and hug me and then drag me off to 'go play Daddy!' Once I changed my mindset from "i need to practice to play better" to "i need to just enjoy my time, I don't have the time I used to, and that's just fine" then all of a sudden, I started playing better, despite less practice.

And these days, if I do want to practice, I usually just get up at 6am and head out before work.

~Rock

Back