Blade vs. Mallet - am I missing something?

lilbilly

Reaction score
Handicap
So I recently saw a comment (I forget where) and someone mentioned how they'd always bought mallet style putters but recently they realized they were not a straight back and through putter, and the blade style might be better for them.

All along I have thought that they were merely just about style and preference, hadn't really ever thought they were for different style strokes.

Am I missing something?

So I recently saw a comment (I forget where) and someone mentioned how they'd always bought mallet style putters but recently they realized they were not a straight back and through putter, and the blade style might be better for them.

All along I have thought that they were merely just about style and preference, hadn't really ever thought they were for different style strokes.

Am I missing something?

SBST and Slight arc style strokes work best with face balanced putters. Strong arc putters work best with toe down style putters.

SBST and Slight arc style strokes work best with face balanced putters. Strong arc putters work best with toe down style putters.

So are blades and mallets no different then, just the weighting?

I can putt equally mediocre with any putter shape or balance.

I am not a big believer that shape or weight have anything to do with the stroke. Just rock the shoulders and let the putter travel.

There are a lot of differences. Even just looking at things such as twisting and such.

Most blades tend to be more toe weighted and mallets tend to be face balances. Although you can get some face balanced blades and you can also get toe weighted mallets. It depends on the setup of the putter.

My guess is the person was speaking more to the traditional style of each putter type.

There are a lot of differences. Even just looking at things such as twisting and such.

Sure, I guess I was meaning that a certain type of stroke meant I should use a blade or mallet...more or less they were made intentionally for certain strokes.

Sure, I guess I was meaning that a certain type of stroke meant I should use a blade or mallet...more or less they were made intentionally for certain strokes.

Some people believe that. I do not.

Most blades tend to be more toe weighted and mallets tend to be face balances. Although you can get some face balanced blades and you can also get toe weighted mallets. It depends on the setup of the putter.

My guess is the person was speaking more to the traditional style of each putter type.

That makes sense... I've always gravitated towards mallet style, and have never really putted with anything else even at the store just demoing. Maybe I need to give some of the latest a try.

Ping has a system whereby on the shaft it tells you what sort of stroke they feel the putter is best suited for.

MOI,weighting as you have said . Keep in mind sbst strokes still have a small arc they are not truly a straight line.

So many other variables to fitting a putter than just stroke arc in my opinion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I am with blu on this, we are talking about such a small difference only seen by people (pros) who make the same putting stroke over and over. For hacks like me I couldnt tell the difference between either stlye of shape or wieghting. But I can could be talked into it I suppose.

Some people believe that. I do not.

I used a face balanced mallet for years, with mediocre results. When I started using the Ping app, found I had quite a strong arc. I took their advice and bought a blade with plenty of toe hang. With this putter, I putter with mediocre results. Made no difference whatsoever! I ditched the app and just tried some putters until I found one that really fitted my eye. Now I have a seemore PTM3 and I've never felt so confident standing over putts.

I have putted with both mallet and now blade putter and my blade is by far a better fit for me. I think much of it has to do with confidence/being more comfortable gripping the the putter. Balance transfer weight through the ball is more consistent for me on the blade as well. To me it's all a personal preference. Just like any club in the bag that one is comfortable with.

To me mallet vs blade is nat as big as toe hang vs face balanced i have a very slight arc so high toe hang putter give me fits

It used to be that mallets were for SBST because they were face balanced and blades were strokes with an arc because they had toe hang but now, really that rule doesnt fit anymore because you can make a blade face balanced and make a mallet with toe hang. You can even take a center shaft blade like a Seemore, which youd think would be face balanced but is actually toe hang.
IMO, its really more personal preference and what suits the eye. If you like to look down on it, it feels good and you roll the ball well with it, who cares?

That person was me, and that's what I was getting at. Basically just realizing I should probably get fit for a putter, given I've made a few changes to my setup and stroke this year after working with someone on my putting.

I have always done better with heel shafted flow neck putters, but recently did a stint with a center shafted STX putter and did fairly well. I just couldn't stand looking down at that one. For me, plumbers neck putters have always been a struggle for me in terms of lining up the putt. I don't a lot of offset.

I am with blu on this, we are talking about such a small difference only seen by people (pros) who make the same putting stroke over and over. For hacks like me I couldnt tell the difference between either stlye of shape or wieghting. But I can could be talked into it I suppose.

I'm certainly not a pro, but I can tell the difference between a face balanced putter and a toe weighted one. When I use a toe weighted putter, I always feel like I'm pushing the putt and never getting the putter face square. When there is severe toe hang, it feels like the ball is rolling down the face of the putter (towards the toe ) at impact.

I have been told that this phenomenon does not actually exist. But this happens to me nearly every time (I say that because I don't like saying "always") I try to use a blade style putter with some toe hang.

Back