The Official 2013-2014 NBA Thread

You think he has been thinking of this for 4 years? If they won the title this year, he was not leaving Miami.

what do you think would have happened had Allen not hit that shot in game 6 last year? When you think of it, they went to 4, won 2, but the only series they clearly were the better team was against OKC.

Lebron knows that there is a chance he can be the greatest player ever.

Highly debatable. One of the greats, without a doubt, but there are a whole lot of them in eras past.

I think this long drawn out drama is worse then the whole announcement debacle from a few years back.

Free agency is a whole 2 days old.....it only seems long and drawn out because the way news is reported these days.

what do you think would have happened had Allen not hit that shot in game 6 last year? When you think of it, they went to 4, won 2, but the only series they clearly were the better team was against OKC.

He would have still played this past season with Miami. It wasn't like LeBron was going to demand a trade.

It's crazy to me how long this has been going on and while it's down to two teams, no one has a firm idea which way he is leaning.

Highly debatable. One of the greats, without a doubt, but there are a whole lot of them in eras past.

Understood... Just say he can be one of the best ever. He needs rings to climb the charts.

Maybe I will take his spot in Miami. Or Cleveland? Nevermind,no way I'm going to Ohio.
For a max deal, I'd go back to Ohio!!!

He would have still played this past season with Miami. It wasn't like LeBron was going to demand a trade.

I'm not insinuating that.

I'm not insinuating that.

That was the only way he was getting out of Miami that year. LeBron would have stayed in Miami regardless of what happened his first 3 seasons if they won the title this year.

I didnt miss the point and well aware of the tax implications. It would be like saying LA or NY are the only options because they are more visible. Money IS in play here, despite it being dismissed. And a sign and trade means anybody can pay him.

And if you think that the endorsements are not huge in a return home, I have a bridge to sell you...
Who else is going to sign him for more endorsement deals (or more money) if he returns home? He already has most of the major guys, Nike can just force him to do 'Return of the King' kind of stuff because he's already under contract. I'm sure he'll make some more, but he already makes so much it would have to be a monster deal to have an impact. This is all about stroking his ego, he wants the max not because the money means anything to him, he just wants to say "I get paid the most".

As for the four year thing, maybe he hasn't thought about it, but his people/handlers should have been and losing in the finals should have been considered before a couple weeks ago. Wade being old and injured didn't just happen in the last couple weeks. Miller was waived a year ago. It didn't just sneak up on them.

That was the only way he was getting out of Miami that year. LeBron would have stayed in Miami regardless of what happened his first 3 seasons if they won the title this year.
I think his point was they were supposed to win four championships but only won two, and one of those only because of one of the greatest shots of all time. So, crazy as it seems, it was somewhat a failure.

Who else is going to sign him for more endorsement deals (or more money) if he returns home? He already has most of the major guys, Nike can just force him to do 'Return of the King' kind of stuff because he's already under contract. I'm sure he'll make some more, but he already makes so much it would have to be a monster deal to have an impact. This is all about stroking his ego, he wants the max not because the money means anything to him, he just wants to say "I get paid the most".

As for the four year thing, maybe he hasn't thought about it, but his people/handlers should have been and losing in the finals should have been considered before a couple weeks ago. Wade being old and injured didn't just happen in the last couple weeks. Miller was waived a year ago. It didn't just sneak up on them.

You are being too short sided to see that the good guy returning home is a big story and companies line up for that. There are many more endorsements out there other than shoes...See Tiger Woods.

And if he won this year, there is nothing to think about. So no, they were not thinking about this. FA has been all of 2 days.

This is all about stroking his ego, he wants the max not because the money means anything to him, he just wants to say "I get paid the most".

He has never been the highest paid player on his team. Ever. He has been the best player on his team probably every season he's been in the league. He pretty much forced Wade to take a pay cut this year because Wade is above average and only plays 60 games a year.

I think his point was they were supposed to win four championships but only won two, and one of those only because of one of the greatest shots of all time. So, crazy as it seems, it was somewhat a failure.

4 finals trips, 2 championships in 4 years... complete failure. I wish I knew what that kind of failure felt like.

Lebron goes back to Cleveland I am becoming a Cavs fan. Yeah I said it.

4 finals trips, 2 championships in 4 years... complete failure. I wish I knew what that kind of failure felt like.

Yeah, that is being overly dramatic and in no way real. This was proven to be a success.

Lebron goes back to Cleveland I am becoming a Cavs fan. Yeah I said it.

HAHA! Ditto to this.

I was also a Miami fan last year. :banana:

Oh the modern fan...The most intriguing and puzzling of the bunch.

In fairness to me, I dont really have a team since the Nets left NJ and I stopped caring about basketball. I just hated what the Heat did and hopefully thats over with.

You are being too short sided to see that the good guy returning home is a big story and companies line up for that. There are many more endorsements out there other than shoes...See Tiger Woods.

And if he won this year, there is nothing to think about. So no, they were not thinking about this. FA has been all of 2 days.
But who is going to line up for it that doesn't already have him under contract? He'd need to make new contracts. All the major players have him locked up, and he can only do so many ads for the local car dealers.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the foresight thing. I cannot believe that nobody in his camp ever thought "so what's the plan if we don't win this year". They barely won last year.

Stupid Bandwagon fans. #GoSpurs

But who is going to line up for it that doesn't already have him under contract? He'd need to make new contracts. All the major players have him locked up, and he can only do so many ads for the local car dealers.

I suppose everybody saw Tiger Balm coming from a mile away.
There are literally millions of companies with money that are looking for a good story.
To think that because he has a few big ones wrapped up and they are major players that he is tapped out, is borderline absurd.

I do not have a team to root for in the NBA... I root for players...

I rooted for Allen Iverson before Lebron came into the league. When Lebron came in... I was an Iverson and Lebron fan. Now that AI is retired, I pull for whatever team Lebron is on.

I suppose everybody saw Tiger Balm coming from a mile away.
There are literally millions of companies with money that are looking for a good story.
To think that because he has a few big ones wrapped up and they are major players that he is tapped out, is borderline absurd.
I guess we can agree to disagree on this too. It's not just a few major companies, he's the highest comped player ever.

I'm not saying he wouldn't get some new deals. I just don't think they'd be enough to make an appreciable dent in his lifestyle and income of $450mm.

All depends on your goals and expectations. LeBron needed a three-peat to match the accomplishments of the guys he's competing with for the title "best ever". He formed a super team to do that. He didn't get it. That's a failure because you didn't reach your goal.

For you and me it's ridiculous, but these guys are in a different world.

Back