Pw follow through

Ag2979

Reaction score
Handicap
I pulled this picture off of Hank Haneys twitters on one of his swing tips.
u3yju6at.jpg

He said that is was "too big a follow through for a Pw". He also thought it looked like a 7 iron but that's irrelevant.

It got me thinking, what should a proper PW follow through look like? I feel I do the same thing as this guy.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rarely take more than a 3/4 backswing on any wedge shot and my follow through often ends near where this guy is in the bottom left picture.

I rarely take more than a 3/4 backswing on any wedge shot and my follow through often ends near where this guy is in the bottom left picture.

That's what I had in my head once I read this. It was kind of an Ah Ha! Moment and makes sense.

The follow through should match the take away. PW is a scoring club and typically doesn't require a full follow through. The hands are barely getting above the shoulders on the take away and the follow through should match.

The follow through should match the take away. PW is a scoring club and typically doesn't require a full follow through. The hands are barely getting above the shoulders on the take away and the follow through should match.

Thank you, I will work on it

I saw my wedges off and always have. I feel more in control.

Yep. Exactly what I was trying to say I do. I meant to add that in my mind wedges are more for accuracy than distance, thus the abbreviated back swing and followthrough.

While I'm not an instructor such as yourself, I always get a chuckle out it my buddies who brag about how far they hit their SW and PW.

They care more about hitting a SW 100 yards versus getting out of a bunker in one shot.

Today I noticed I got lazy and started pushing 9 iron and wedge and it has alot to do with that transition in my follow through. It wasnt off by much but 10 yards or so from center....but this is from 145 yards out or so. Easily corrected it at the range afterwards but enough to annoy me until I did.

I have found that if I follow through a bit more I get more loft ... but I mainly do the above ... unless it is a full swing

I have found that if I follow through a bit more I get more loft ... but I mainly do the above ... unless it is a full swing
Not for nothing but your follow through has nothing to do with gaining more loft. It actually tells that you are trying to lift the ball vs hitting down on it.

I was getting too armsy instead of using my core to transition through impact which led to pushing shots right with my 9 and wedge. It wasn't my follow through...I miss worded that.

My instructors have been talking about swinging "in to in", which was noted in the video. If Michelle Wie is doing it, I guess it could work for me.

My PW distance is about 100 with a full swing. I have been pulling the ball left and last Sunday started pushing it right. I can't wait to get out and try this.

My instructors have been talking about swinging "in to in", which was noted in the video. If Michelle Wie is doing it, I guess it could work for me.

Only if you twerk when you hit a good shot

Same here - fuller swing = higher launch and more spin. Seems to be about 10 yards or so shorter than a 3/4 swing and follow through too.

Same here - fuller swing = higher launch and more spin. Seems to be about 10 yards or so shorter than a 3/4 swing and follow through too.

I would argue that it has less spin but perhaps is coming in from a steeper angle and able to stop quickly due to that. I think the abbreviated approach actually puts much more spin on the ball and allows the user to fire at the pin and with a suitable ball, slam on the brakes.

I think a lot of it depends on the flight one wants from their wedge shot. Personally I feel a heck of a lot more accurate with the ball slightly back, hitting down, partial swing and the abbreviated follow through. This gives me a lower, more accurate flight as well as more spin and overall more control. Now if flying into an elevated green I will take a more traditional swing and follow through but the sawed off approach is vastly better in all ways and I use it whenever I can.

I would argue that it has less spin but perhaps is coming in from a steeper angle and able to stop quickly due to that. I think the abbreviated approach actually puts much more spin on the ball and allows the user to fire at the pin and with a suitable ball, slam on the brakes.

I think a lot of it depends on the flight one wants from their wedge shot. Personally I feel a heck of a lot more accurate with the ball slightly back, hitting down, partial swing and the abbreviated follow through. This gives me a lower, more accurate flight as well as more spin and overall more control. Now if flying into an elevated green I will take a more traditional swing and follow through but the sawed off approach is vastly better in all ways and I use it whenever I can.

Could be!

Well if you saw the john deer classic today you probably noticed pros missing greens from 100 yards out with that sawed off approach. Jordan Spieth to be exact. And another was long from 150. It's a hard game.

Well if you saw the john deer classic today you probably noticed pros missing greens from 100 yards out with that sawed off approach. Jordan Spieth to be exact. And another was long from 150. It's a hard game.

Pros miss with all types of swings it's not exclusive to sawed off swings. Zach Johnson is nothing but sawed off and very accurate

Pros miss with all types of swings it's not exclusive to sawed off swings. Zach Johnson is nothing but sawed off and very accurate

Exactly. He even hits his long irons sawed off.

He's had a slightly successful career I think.

Exactly. He even hits his long irons sawed off.

He's had a slightly successful career I think.

Just a little success and he isn't not short by any stretch. Not bubba long but not skip short either

Great info in here guys, I appreciate it.

Just a little success and he isn't not short by any stretch. Not bubba long but not skip short either
I really enjoy watching Zach, he is a true shot maker. His swing is very interesting and a joy to watch. He is always near the top of the leaderboard, which says a lot.

My whole point is that for me anyways....utilizing a full swing is always easier than choking down on a wedge and trying to play a knock down, sawed off approach. If I have a chance to pull out a 60 degree and use a full swing I will. Why?? Because I am completely comfortable doing so where as sawed off brings more feel into play and a bigger margin of error for me.

Back