Iron HeadCovers - Question for the guys that don't use them

I look at it like this, irons and wedges are the workhorses, the blue collar guys if you will. The woods and putters on the other hand are the pretty boys who don't get their hands dirty as much, the white collar crew. Hence uncovered and covered respectively.

Funny? Yep, but its the way I think.

You probably won't even use your putter in a bunker. hahaha

I'm completely backwards. I take off the putter cover before I start a round. I leave covers on everything else. A note: have a separate putter well, so no banging around

I don't use them on my irons but I do on the putter and driver and wood. not sure why i do. Maybe to have the bag clang less?

Covers do get annoying, but I also hate the sound of clanking clubs--Bennington cart bag was my solution.

I use the neoprene ones from walmart when i have my clubs out of use, in the car or during travel. Once i get to the course they come off and go in the bag until i am done with my clubs. I know clubs are going to get dinged up just playing them but i don't like hearing them clanking together on ever bump on every road either. I like my clubs and try to take the best care of my equipment as i can. That includes everything i own, cars, snowmobiles, ski's and golf clubs. The payback for taking care of your stuff pays off if you ever want to sell or trade them. Just my humble opinion.

I had some that came with my clubs that are easy to put on and off. I am not thrilled with the looks but can live with it. I find them a bit of a pain to keep track of when I am trying to play quickly.
I have found the following issues with them:
  • They are quieter but there is still some chatter from the clubs whether riding or walking.
  • When walking, I have had several work their way off while carrying and I did not notice. Luckily, the ranger picked them up.
  • While riding, I find I end up throwing them into the back of the cart because I get tired of messing with them (I do that with woods too).
  • While riding, I have lost 2 out of the back.
  • I miss the shine off my clubs when I park my bag at the clubhouse.

I am still using the ones I have in an effort to protect my clubs but I don't think I will replace them, even if I find ones I love the looks. But never say never.

I thought about getting them and was ready to spend the money on some but couldn't come up with a viable reason for them. Looking at it from my wife's point of view, I'd just spent some money on new irons, used woods and driver, and I was worried about the irons getting scratched... when they would get scuffed from the grass and dirt on the course the first time I used them. Couldn't get past that common sense myself so I never got them.

My driver and woods were already scratched when I got them so I take their covers off when I pull the clubs out of my trunk and leave the covers in my car until the round is over.

I'm not concerned about my putter getting scratched because I don't like it, can't line up my putts well with it, and want something different but cannot justify the purchase yet. Yet.

take too much time to take off and put back on, worrying about losing one then not having a complete set, they look ugly, and I don't carry my bag hardly at all (I use a push cart), so my clubs really don't chatter too much.

Those things look like they should come with a saddle ore bola tie hehe.

I honestly don't think that covers take too much time to take off and put on. It takes me more time to put my glove on than the cover. Plus I contend that more damage is done to the irons from clanking into each other than from hitting the ball. Covers force me to clean the face of the club before I put the iron away. My irons look brand new season after season. When you trade in or resell our clubs, the condition on the iron really matters, not just the grooves. I don't mind paying $20 for covers if I can get that back when I sell them.

Its two fold.
1. I play far too fast to worry about the covers.
2. Moisture can dirt can and does get trapped.
Thats what toothbrushes and warm water are for. I thoroughly clean and completely dry all the little crevices in my irons after each round. My CB3s are 2 years old and look brand new thanks to neoprene headcovers. It takes a whole 4 seconds to wipe and put cover on after each iron shot.

I mean if I gamed a set of hippos or dunlops I wouldn't give a hoot. But with premium gear it's an investment and retains value for years. Especially if it's a good brand. Forged soft metal dents easily also.

Thats what toothbrushes and warm water are for. I thoroughly clean and completely dry all the little crevices in my irons after each round. My CB3s are 2 years old and look brand new thanks to neoprene headcovers. It takes a whole 4 seconds to wipe and put cover on after each iron shot.

My irons look brand new too and I dont have headcovers on them.
Try playing in wet damp grass in the mornings and tell me there is no moisture in the covers...
You can dry forever after each shot...That just takes more time.

I know I'm not supposed to reply since it was directed toward those that don't use them, but I've found that the covers slow me down just enough that I keep my rhythm rather than having the compunction to rush up and hit the ball. I've heard that they keep moisture trapped in but I don't buy that since I've never had rust since I used them. And, much as people have crazy putter covers and cool driver putters, I think they give you another option for personalization.

I like this leather ones but not at $13 a piece. Kind of how I like the Seamus covers but not at their prices either.

Of course there will be small amounts of moisture which is why after the round I do an even more thorough job of cleaning them. Now once I'm home the covers come off so they dont mold. I only use them to protect against harsh bag chatter. What I need to do is upgrade my bag but I havent found one yet that completely eliminates chatter. They say the revolver or chamber but I've seen them at outlets and they just aren't as advertised.

Its two fold.
1. I play far too fast to worry about the covers.
2. Moisture can dirt can and does get trapped.

I use them and clean and dry my irons off after each shot. I can play 18 holes if I am alone and in a cart in right at 2 hours. Iron covers don't slow things down. Slow golfers slow things down.

They say the revolver or chamber but I've seen them at outlets and they just aren't as advertised.

I use the revolver. I can carry my bag horizontal without an ounce of chatter. Only my driver moves because the shaft is a wee bit too thick. Every once in a while one will pop loose but then I put it back and it's fine. Plus using the revolver makes it easier to access clubs without them getting tangled like in a 14-way.

Bennington's products do a great job as well.

But I still use covers because of other reasons.

I have some pretty nice irons and some that were made with very soft metal (CG2's to name one) and never used covers. The bag chatter never dinged or damaged them. You run much more risk of that from a pebble in the sand or even fairway as I believe Lightingbolt may have said.

Plus I just like the look of a golf bag with a nice set of irons in them. Headcovers for Driver and FW are different again as pointed out before, the paint on a lot of those can and does chip fairly easy.

I use them and clean and dry my irons off after each shot. I can play 18 holes if I am alone and in a cart in right at 2 hours. Iron covers don't slow things down. Slow golfers slow things down.

I dont disagree that slow golfers slow things down.
Its why I said "I PLAY far too fast".
Your pace is fine for you...I play significantly faster than that. It doesnt make me right and you wrong or vice versa.

Your pace is fine for you...I play significantly faster than that. It doesnt make me right and you wrong or vice versa.

You play 18 holes in less than 2 hours?? Oh man, I'm getting out of your way if I see you coming!

You play 18 holes in less than 2 hours?? Oh man, I'm getting out of your way if I see you coming!

Yes I do. In fact my normal twosome plays in less than that.
To me, if a single is playing in 2 hours, a foursome would be pretty darn slow compared to our group.

As mentioned it does not make it right or wrong, just the way we play.

That is a really healthy outlook on this matter, one the entire golf world would be better off adopting.

I use the revolver. I can carry my bag horizontal without an ounce of chatter. Only my driver moves because the shaft is a wee bit too thick. Every once in a while one will pop loose but then I put it back and it's fine. Plus using the revolver makes it easier to access clubs without them getting tangled like in a 14-way.

Bennington's products do a great job as well.

But I still use covers because of other reasons.
Well I don't like the design and have heard just the opposite. Clubs popping out of the holder and the plastic top cracking. Just isn't for me. Great if it works for you though.

Yes I do. In fact my normal twosome plays in less than that.
To me, if a single is playing in 2 hours, a foursome would be pretty darn slow compared to our group.

As mentioned it does not make it right or wrong, just the way we play.

Im lost. I didn't make a comment about others speed of play. My point was than iron cover use doesn't equate to golf being slow.

Back