Leading edge

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ball striker

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what do you guys prefer regarding the leading edge of an iron. Sharp or a little rounded or beveled.
1. Sharp
2. Rounded or a little beveled

A little rounded is good for me. I play a lot of wet courses and a sharp leading edge make that very difficult. I think the majority of voters will say a little rounded.

I like a sharp and straight leading edge. It makes it easier for me to square the face at address and helps the club cut right through the turf. I have more of a sweeper/slider swing so having the club dig into the ground is not an issue for me but I would not recommend a sharp leading edge to someone that drives the club into the ground or takes huge divots. They would probably sprain or break their wrist within a few swings.

I need rounded to help prevent cutting huge deep divots.

Have played (and currently own) irons with both types of leading edge. I can play sharp, generally with little issue, but I do like the leading edge a bit "pre-worn".

The reason I asked is because I played an old forged set of mt McGregor irons circa 1982 yesterday amd the leading edge I swear I could shave with it. But man it took some sweet square divots after impact and had a buttery feel. When I was a little off my hands stung and the club let you know. I guess it's not ideal for everyone but I wish they made forgiving irons with sharper leading edges. I think it helpes impart a cleaner strike but I mah be wrong. I have heard of people grinding down the leading edges of their irons but I can't see doing that unless it was professionally done.

I'm going to say I prefer the look of of a straight edge but know that rounded works better for my swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rounded because it doesnt dig in the turf as much. Bounce is your friend.

Somewhere in between, but more straight than rounded. It makes a ton of difference for me, moreso in wedges though.

I like a little round, but maybe with just a hair of straight!

Rounded because it doesnt dig in the turf as much. Bounce is your friend.
Bounce is your friend if you have a tendency to hit fat shots. I hit the ball first then the divot is a little bit in front of wnere the ball was with me. So I guess it matters more with players that do hit fat shots. Not that it's a bad thing. Golf is a hard game and I don't think it's right to judge people on their abilities. As long as they're out their having fun.

I like the sharp makes me feel like i can cut through the turf

was looking at Justin Roses bag and his Taylor Made tour preferred mb irons and those babies were looking razor sharp with zero camber and very little bounce. I'm thinking about getting my CB3s ground to a sharper leading edge and then having them refinished in satin. Wonder how much the iron factory would charge.

Wow. 60-40.....alot closer than I would've thought it would turn out. I was thinking 90-10 with the way sgi and most gi leading edges are. I guess there are more guys using players irons than I imagined. Cool. A poll like this tells me there is diversity in the game, which is a good thing.

I honestly have absolutely zero preference. I can play either happily.

Looking at the leading edges of these two 7 irons it is neat to see the different characteristics, camber and bounce. They both yield the same yardage and spin. Workability is much better with the one of the right though. Same d2 swing weights.

I honestly have absolutely zero preference. I can play either happily.
The sharper leading edge seems to impart cleaner strikes for me. Not particularly in the result but with the MacGregor irons the leading edge would slice right through the turf displacing a nice square divot. Conversely with the curvature and camber of the Adams speedlines my divots would kind of explode into pieces. Again it had zero impact on ball flight or sweet spot or any other difference but the divots. I guess if you are a picker or sweeper then it probably wouldn't habe any effect on your iron play.

I prefer a sharper edge as I tend to be more of a sweeper, yet I can have difficulty chipping a very sharp edge. I try to find some balance, leaning heavily toward sharp.

Tend to gravitate towards a beveled or pre-worn leading edge. Helps on those slight heavy misses.

Definitely rounded. Love the Bstone J40 DPC leading edge. Going to try and mimic that grind on some backup wedges and see how they play. I have a steep swing and tend to dig trenches for divots so I need all the help I can get.

I honestly haven't thought about it much, but I tend to go a little closer to a traditional leading edge because I've always played players irons. However, the CMB's have a little extra leading edge relief, which definitely helps if I catch it heavy. Will be interesting to see how much more rounded it is on the CB3's (just picked up a set on the bay) and if it affects me at all, good or bad.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

The sharper leading edge seems to impart cleaner strikes for me. Not particularly in the result but with the MacGregor irons the leading edge would slice right through the turf displacing a nice square divot. Conversely with the curvature and camber of the Adams speedlines my divots would kind of explode into pieces. Again it had zero impact on ball flight or sweet spot or any other difference but the divots. I guess if you are a picker or sweeper then it probably wouldn't habe any effect on your iron play.

How does the leading edge impart cleaner strikes?

How does the leading edge impart cleaner strikes?
If you read the paragraph in its entirety instead of the first sentence then maybe a little comprehension might kick in. Maybe.

I like rounded. Easier to hit and more forgiving off the ground for me with my irons.

Back