Results of shortening my driver shaft to 43.75"

geneticistx

Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA-9.8
I traded my stock G25 stiff 10* driver with someone for a 12* 913D2 reg. I had the shaft cut to play at 43.75" and decreased the loft to 11.25. I didn't like the sound of the Ping, and when I hit both I didn't see a huge distance or control difference.

Prior to cutting the shaft, i was hitting about 60% of fairways. With the shorter shaft i've missed 1 fairway in the last two rounds. And, after a bit of adjusting loft and lie, I'm actually hitting the same distance if not further with the shorter shaft. I am hitting my drives about 235 on the fly, total about 250. Not much difference than with a longer shaft that I wasn't confident with in my hands.

It still feels really short, but I'm getting used to it and loving the new found accuracy, and I know the feel will come.

And, fyi, I didn't adjust swing weight.

Always nice when something works for us. Glad you are ringing success.

Nice one! I just bought a new driver and am thinking about tossing a fairway shaft in and making it 44.5 and lead taping it. I definitely thing the shorter shaft will make for more centre strikes and consistent drives.

Glad it worked out well for you sir!

ive spoken to a few people and adjusting the sw on a driver probably isn't necessary, as it is a club that is unique in it's feel anyway

Good to hear it is working good. I am getting similar results with a shorter shaft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I choke down on my current driver and will most likely have it trimmed down in the near future. I'll agree it feels much better than 45+. Glad you found something that works!

I did the same thing about a month ago, put a 3w shaft in my driver and it has turned into a fairway finder. I did lose a little distance but not much to be really noticeable over the course of a round.

That's awesome! Distance shmistance. Even if you lost 10 yards it would only amount to a 1 club difference on your next shot. Fairways are much better than not (especially around here where it would mean punching out from trees).

I'm happy you found something that improves your game. Now while you're at it, could ya fix my wedges? ;)

I did the same thing about a month ago. Cut down my 913 D2 by an inch to play about 44.5. Didn't mess with swing weight or any of that. Made a huge difference. May have lost about 5 yards when it's crushed, but not a noticeable difference. My misses are not nearly as severe. It's great. I think the long shaft trends of the last few years really have been counter productive. Sure, you'll get a bit more distance on perfect strikes, but that 46" shaft doesn't fit you if you aren't 6'5"!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad it worked out for you

Glad it's working for you. To me, it's nuts that drivers come off the rack at 45.5" or 46". I'd much rather be in the fairway than a bit longer and in the rough, or over in the next fairway.

Good to hear you found something that works well for you !

I think driver shaft lengths have been extended so the OEM's can market distance gains (which is possible with a wider swing arc) but most of us hackers need to be chasing accuracy over distance. My fittings have shown that at 5'9", I need to be around 44/45 inches with the driver. If you get everything at optimal, including length, loft, lie and shaft, shorter shaft does not always mean shorter drives, no more than higher lofted drivers. I hit my 13.5 degree driver as far as anyone my age I play with some of which play 9.5's to 10.5's. It is all about optimal stuff for YOU.

I have done the same with my X Hot 13.5*HT shortened from 46" to 44" and didn't lose any distance but way more consistent in length and direction.

Back