How do you remember to slow down and do the little things correctly.

ImaBeRealReal

Reaction score
Handicap
Above Par
Just wondering what tips/tricks all of you ladies and gents might use to slow down a bit. I often play as a single and I'm normally rushing to try and get out of a foursome's way that let me play through. I always try to find a single or a double that I can partner up with but not everyone wants some random guy joining them so from time to time I'm strung out alone weaving my way through slower groups as I play 18. I obviously want to do those gracious enough to let me through a favor and move along swiftly but at times I forgot to focus on my setup and take away which normally leads to a silly block right or the dreaded hard pull left.

I'd say work on focusing yourself when you step behind the ball to line up. Until that time, you can move quickly as you say, to try to be courteous. But when you step behind the ball, you have to shift to "game face" and go through your regular routine. There's no expectation by the people who let you through that you're going use an abbreviated routine and hits crap shots just to be quick. Move quickly, but when it's time to hit, do your regular routine. As long as your name isn't Keegan Bradley, it all should be good.

A regular pre-shot routine can help with this.

Booze.

sounds to me like you are trying to rush through as a single, i have had those rounds, when you ask to play through you feel more rushed off the tee in order to keep pace. What i tend to do is i take a few extra seconds to calm down take a deep breath in and out, and try to get my head back in to the right place and pace take a few practice swings and play like normal.

best advice after passing try and slow your mind and your game

Whenever I fly solo I play 2 balls. Keeps the pace about right where you don't feel like you have to catch up to a foursome and play through. First get permission from the pro shop and only if it's a slow day like a Tuesday morning and nothing but retired folks are on the track. Food for thought.

Thanks for the replies all. Tequila this may be my biggest issue, I feel like my normal routine might take too long when I'm playing through... I know that's probably not the case because it's usually two practice swings and go but I just feel like I'm slowing folks down.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Working the USGA WAPL Championships this week, I am impressed, every day with the dedication and work these gals put into PRACTICE. They make a mistake and they correct it immediately, in PRACTICE. I suppose there is something to be said about pre-shot routines... (I don't use a set routine), but I'm not sure what that something is, because even Pros who use a pre-shot routine go through all those motions and then dump the ball in the trees, or the rough, or the pond. To me a better routine is training the body and mind to work in sync and Swing Your Swing the same, every time.

SO true. Its funny I have one I use under pressure, but find when playing well especially that I will drift from it--it usually bites me with a basic setup or alignment mistake because I was feeling in the moment and rushed to a shot.

I has help me sometimes but then too much and i get real slow

3 beer threshold, works like a charm. In all seriousness, someone else had also mentioned a solid pre-shot routine, best way to remain consistent (and reps, reps, reps!)

Just pretend you own the course. That'll help

Biggest advantage to walking, IMO. You get to sort of plan and think about the shot as you walk up to it. Walking requires much less thinking than driving a cart, so my mind is on golf, not moving the cart around. As a result, I don't feel like I'm in a hurry or a jumble when I get to my ball. I've seen what my GPS says, I know what club I'm going to hit, I've checked the pin placement, I've already scoped out the safest part of the green to hit to...all before I ever stood over the ball.

Biggest advantage to walking, IMO. You get to sort of plan and think about the shot as you walk up to it. Walking requires much less thinking than driving a cart, so my mind is on golf, not moving the cart around. As a result, I don't feel like I'm in a hurry or a jumble when I get to my ball. I've seen what my GPS says, I know what club I'm going to hit, I've checked the pin placement, I've already scoped out the safest part of the green to hit to...all before I ever stood over the ball.

I feel the same way, my top scores are all from walking. I seem to play much worse with a cart, its a mental thing for me I walk 90% of the time. As for a shot routine I trust that I can do the basic things every time and remember doing the 1 or 2 things that I need work on. Like for instance I'm working on getting my backswing and lag correct right now, the results have been great so far but it has changed my tempo a lot so I'm working on keeping that in check.

The thing that helps Me the most? Posting in the live thread here it keeps me engaged in the round but also forces me to think a bit more than I normally do.

I try to count to three once I step away from the ball and pick my line. 3 seconds is nothing when you're trying to play through a group. It allows you to take a deep breath or two and regain focus.

Also, walking slowly two and from your ball as you're picking a line would help. Again, takes 3 extra seconds but will let you relax before you hit your shot.

Some people use their 3 seconds while standing over the ball. That doesn't work well for me, because I may tighten up or get out of my pre shot routine. But it's whatever works for you.

3 seconds is nothing, but it allows you to stay focused and sharp before you hit your shot.

If you have a set routine you won't have to slow down. Provided it isn't as long as Keegan Bradley's it should you in a good rhythm. Target, intermediate target, grip, stance, posture and pull the trigger

Back