Iron HeadCovers - Question for the guys that don't use them

Yes I do. In fact my normal twosome plays in less than that.
To me, if a single is playing in 2 hours, a foursome would be pretty darn slow compared to our group.

As mentioned it does not make it right or wrong, just the way we play.
Wow... That's great. I average lot more than six minutes per hole but that's because I have to chase the ball around so much! I always hate it when it takes four hours to golf, but since I play public courses mostly, even if I played faster, I'd never make six and a half minutes due to back ups.

Do you get out of the cart or are you playing polo?

Im lost. I didn't make a comment about others speed of play. My point was than iron cover use doesn't equate to golf being slow.

And I never said it did. I said it was slower for ME...Not sure why, despite me saying over and over that your pace is fine by you and mine is fine by me, that there is a disconnect. Those 10-15 seconds of wiping irons off, grabbing the covers, putting them on, etc works fine for some. It does not for me, which is exactly what I wrote in the first post.

Again, I have no issue at all if someone wants to use them for whatever reason they want to use them. I was responding to the original post and said this.

Its two fold.
1. I play far too fast to worry about the covers.
2. Moisture can dirt can and does get trapped.

You quoted that and said that it does not slow things down. I merely responded and said that it might not for you (which again i said was fine), but it does for me. Lots of different paces of play out there, and I realize mine is too fast for some...But its the way we play and enjoy the game just as others like to take their time.

Wow... That's great. I average lot more than six minutes per hole but that's because I have to chase the ball around so much! I always hate it when it takes four hours to golf, but since I play public courses mostly, even if I played faster, I'd never make six and a half minutes due to back ups.

Do you get out of the cart or are you playing polo?

Make it to a THP Event some time and you will see my pace is not as bad as it sounds, nor is the time. If I am playing as a single, the course we are members at is pretty slow for me to want to play out there. I keep the ball in front of me, dont take practice swings and have a decent short game. I move along pretty well.

Now if I am playing with a group of THPers, I will play at whatever pace they want...Those events are for them and they are a blast.

I actually like the sound of iron heads clanking together when you lift up a golf bag. I gets me pumped up a little!

I don't carry my bag anymore, other than to get it to and from the car / golf cart, so I'm not worried at all about the heads getting dinged up from chatter. They are far more likely to get damaged by my poor swing habits.

I've never used them, and I'm not a fan of the look. Sure they would keep my clubs from clicking together, but I'm not worried about that. I hit a ball and the ground harder than they click together, so it's not a big deal to me. Though the leather ones you have look decent, it's just not my thing.

I don't use them as to me, they look ridiculous. I'm not in the camp that chatter adds character, but I'd rather the clubs took the odd knock that use covers on my irons.

Nah, it takes some golfers long enough to play a round. No need to add another item for that golfer to keep up with or drive back and ask me if I've seen it.

I don't use them because I can't justify spending the extra money on them. Woods and hybrids come with them. I know they can be had for cheap but I just don't have a need for them. Bag chatter adds character and I don't mind the noise or a few dings here and there.

Edit: I really don't think iron covers slow down play either.

I like those leather ones on the OP. I would never buy them or use them because like most on here I just don't want to have to deal with them. As far as the time issue, that's moot. Just put them on in the cart while your buddy is driving to the next shot. When you get out, drop the covered club in your bag and grab your next club. If you're the driver, hop in the cart with your club and put the cover on while your partner is getting his club and hitting. zero impact to the time played. I do this even without covers or on my woods. A little bit over 18 holes adds up!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Make it to a THP Event some time and you will see my pace is not as bad as it sounds, nor is the time.

Unless your following him in a hotel in Vegas. I needed a Segway to keep up.

Make it to a THP Event some time and you will see my pace is not as bad as it sounds, nor is the time. If I am playing as a single, the course we are members at is pretty slow for me to want to play out there. I keep the ball in front of me, dont take practice swings and have a decent short game. I move along pretty well.

Now if I am playing with a group of THPers, I will play at whatever pace they want...Those events are for them and they are a blast.

Like getting yelled at on the third tee?

Yep I just went there.

Too much hassle to take them on and off during a round. I own a set and use them when I travel. I have a hard case
And still out the headcovers on. Don't trust the tsa!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used them. I don't always. I keep them in my back pocket when swinging if I am using them. I've never been called slow with or without them. That being said, I have seen some human rain delays with them.

I use them. I can't stand the sound of clubs clanging around. I actually looked at buying one of those bags that lock your clubs in place.
But I saw mixed reviews. I also buy way to many clubs so it helps me preserve their value.

I will say they don't slow me down at all. It might depend on what type you buy but mine take like 2 secs to put on/off.
The last round I walked took me 2 hrs 45 mins. And the last one I got a cart took me only 2 hrs.

I wouldn't. I used to and would lose at least one a month. Too much to keep track of and takes my focus away from the game.

From The HTC One Blue!

I have covers on every club in my bag. I work for my money and I pay for my own clubs so I am going to take care of them. If it takes and extra 3 seconds to take off and put on so be it. I want my clubs to stay nice for as log as possible. Also I HATE the clicking of my clubs when walking. I use the neoprene cheapie covers from eBay with the window to see which club it is. I even have a few different sets in different colors to match what bag I am playing. My clubs will stay covered unless I am using them, cleaning them, admiring them, or showing them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have covers on every club in my bag. I work for my money and I pay for my own clubs so I am going to take care of them. If it takes and extra 3 seconds to take off and put on so be it. I want my clubs to stay nice for as log as possible. Also I HATE the clicking of my clubs when walking. I use the neoprene cheapie covers from eBay with the window to see which club it is. I even have a few different sets in different colors to match what bag I am playing. My clubs will stay covered unless I am using them, cleaning them, admiring them, or showing them off.]

I love this reply. I'm right there with ya buddy. I like to take care of my gear. We pay good money and want our sweet sticks to last and we appreciate what our hard earned money buys. It's an investment and with them sweet razr x blacks you're gaming, I'd do the same

I enjoy looking at my irons in the bag, not some cheap covers. It's like buying a car with beautiful leather seats then putting crappy seat covers over them to protect them.

I use covers as the noise of clubs banging together drives me crazy. I use the neoprene Club Glove ones which are fantastic quality. I would wipe my clubs after each shot no matter if I used covers or not so no extra effort required. Funny reading through this thread how many people care about the look of iron covers !

I'm not rich and was taught to look after my things and as such use head covers. My irons still look new and in happy with that. I don't play any slower than anyone else and quite frankly believe the whole slow play thing is ridiculous. You want to see slow play? Try playing with a 20+ handicapper who insists on using his laser range finder for every shot, then testing the wind and taking heaps of practice swings only to shank the ball into the bushes, miss short, top it, hit it fat etc etc etc. That's not an attack on high handicap players by the way.

I used them when my J40 irons were brand new, but only for transport. Using a Clicgear push cart and a 14 way divided bag there isn't really much need for them as the clubs barely touch each other.

I don't think I would. To me irons are built to be used and abused. The little dings from chatter won't affect performance one iota.

But I believe getting all the dings and dents on woods/hybrids, with faces as thin as they are now, and putters will affect performance. That's why I always keep a cover on those clubs.

I use them on woods all the time, and on my irons and putter during transport and storage. I use an Ogio chamber bag so the clubs don't really touch each other during a round. And I keep a Frogger towel and brush on my bag and quickly wipe and brush my clubs after every shot. I also clean my clubs/grips/headcovers before every round.

I just want my clubs to look better for a longer amount of time. I may get tired of them eventually. I use the cheap neoprene style that have the clear windows.

Back