Playing with a nervous swing on a new course.

Bugman

Reaction score
Handicap
Heading out for my 1st round with a fellow THP'er. Like playing in a different state wasnt challenging enough. Does anyone else have a mental block when it comes to playing with new people? Like many noobs probably, I let the outside situations affect my mentality which always sets me up for failure. I'm very excited about today but a nervous swing will get in the way if I let it. Anyone else understand my thoughts and how do you deal with it.

Remember that golf is a game.
Remember that if someone were perfect at golf, they wouldnt be playing locally.
Remember that THPers are the greatest community of people to play with.

Remember that golf is a game.
Remember that if someone were perfect at golf, they wouldnt be playing locally.
Remember that THPers are the greatest community of people to play with.

Josh is right OP. There's NOTHING like playing with other THPers. I've never had so much fun playing golf as I do when I play with THPers. I've had many rounds that I wish I could forget score wise, but wouldn't trade the round for an under par one because of how much fun and of a good time I've had playing with THPers.

THP rounds are the BEST!
I can't wait to read how your round went today!

THP rounds are the best! OC was by far one of the best, most enjoyable rounds of golf I've ever played. You might be a little nervous on the first tee but after that it's nothing but fun. I've played in front of hundreds of people before and thought stepping up in front of 40 THP members would be easy....I was good until I approached the ball. Nerves are past of the fun.

I'm learning not to think too hard about it. When you over critique yourself on the course you will more than likely get more frustrated. Over thinking usually does it. I just imagine myself (the newbie) as a professional golfer and I try to pretend my swing is identical to PGA Tour player. Stay fluid and loose. More importantly have fun! It's the whole reason we love golf after all!! :)

Heading out for my 1st round with a fellow THP'er. Like playing in a different state wasnt challenging enough. Does anyone else have a mental block when it comes to playing with new people? Like many noobs probably, I let the outside situations affect my mentality which always sets me up for failure. I'm very excited about today but a nervous swing will get in the way if I let it. Anyone else understand my thoughts and how do you deal with it.

I promise there's nothing to be nervous about teeing it up with Ole Gray. He'll make you feel right at home and I don't think you could've picked a better THPer to tee it up with for the first time. Y'all have fun!

Come on bruther,,, you're playing with me so how can ya be nervous! We'll have as much fun as a couple of hawgs in a corn bin on all you can eat day! :pig::D Don't worry about ya golf game as I haven't play well in about two years. :beat-up: I can promise you a really good golf course on the agenda, a bunch of laughs and fun, and no nerves after the first tee shot because you will be laughing ya arse off. :bomb: :bananadance:

My dad told me years ago, from a place of love, "You aren't good enough to get angry or be nervous....just go out and have a great time." It works for me because I am not a great golfer.

Golf is a game, games are supposed to be fun.
My advice, take your 1st tee shot and throw it in the woods. That way you'll already lost one and can relax from there on out.

I struggle with this a lot, Jerkies. Great question. Looking back, I think I was the most comfortable in similar circumstances when I lowered my expectations. But, your mileage may vary.

What a great day at Lane Creek with an awesome THP'er. Course was in great shape and other than my new nick name ( to be explained later) I had a great time. Even hit some good shots when I wasnt frazzled.

Later today I'm playing a round with a THPer that I have never met. I'm just looking forward to meeting another upstanding gent from this site. I'll let ya know how the game goes, it has a tendency to feel the nerves of new folks.

Some of my most fun rounds I've played in the last few years have come about with fellow THP'ers.
Don't worry about it, just have fun!

What a great day at Lane Creek with an awesome THP'er. Course was in great shape and other than my new nick name ( to be explained later) I had a great time. Even hit some good shots when I wasnt frazzled.
Glad to hear it! Haven't met OG, but we've chatted back and forth a good amount and that old coot is as cool as a rooster in a hen house :bulgy-eyes: Can't wait to hear your nickname.

So...My experience's playing Georgia golf have both been very good ones and it was topped off with a round with a THP'er. However, I have a new hate for the bugs in this state. Both days I was visited by bee's (or something) the size of a small bird. I chalk it up to either my scent or I had a "attack me" sign on my back. The pinnacle of this new found hate was when I decided to stand behind a tree to avoid another players tee shot. Turns out that things attack from the ground, especially when its a small colony of fire ants. Provided a bit of comic relief for olde gray and I have now been coined as "Bug Man". Can't wait to come down again soon except ill wait for it to get cold 1st.

Last edited:
THPers are a pretty cool bunch of people. No reason to be nervous about playing with any of them.

If you play awful, I have little doubt that you will still have fun. If you play great, that's just more high fives and celebration.

~Rock

Bugman!!! Wuzzzzz up bro..... :D

Glad to hear it! Haven't met OG, but we've chatted back and forth a good amount and that old coot is as cool as a rooster in a hen house :bulgy-eyes: Can't wait to hear your nickname.

Awwwww thank ya buddy... :friends: One of these days we will definitely tee it up! :golf2:

So...My experience's playing Georgia golf have both been very good ones and it was topped off with a round with a THP'er. However, I have a new hate for the bugs in this state. Both days I was visited by bee's (or something) the size of a small bird. I chalk it up to either my scent or I had a "attack me" sign on my back. The pinnacle of this new found hate was when I decided to stand behind a tree to avoid another players tee shot. Turns out that things attack from the ground, especially when its a small colony of fire ants. Provided a bit of comic relief for olde gray and I have now been coined as "Bug Man". Can't wait to come down again soon except ill wait for it to get cold 1st.

Jerkies er Bugman was hilarious today with his adventures with the insects. He was fighting a hornet looking creature as early as the second green. The thing looked like one of those hueys we use to have in Nam. :bulgy-eyes: Ole Jerkie was dancing around like a man being chased by a grizzly bear. :shock: He finally scared the creature off long enough to make his putt. He ran into a similar looking buzzard a couple holes later. This time he got to dancing like he was trying out for a new edition of Saturday night fever. :bananadance: He looked like a young John Travolta cutting a rug. The next thing I see is he was acting like a sperm whale trying to suck down a herd of nat looking bugs flying around that looked like a moving cloud. :bulgy-eyes: The nats or what ever the heck they were finally left him alone. We tee up on #10 and he hits this killer drive on the dog leg left hole in perfect condition way out in the fairway. About that time we saw a single and we invited him to join us . While he was teeing up we were waiting by Nathan's ball and he was telling me about almost being hit by a golf ball a while back. I noticed he was kind of dancing around like he had a case of bad jock itch. :embarrassed: The next thing I know he was throwing his shoes off and acting all crazy and stuff. He had found him a mound of fire ants. Ole jerkie moves pretty good with a nest of fire ants crawling up his legs/shorts. :D

Right then and there I told him he had to change his name to Bugman. :thumb: Nathan I bet if you ask one of the admins real sweet like they will change ya name for ya. :good:

Nathan and I had a great time out there today! We played some pretty damn good golf in spurts too. :bomb:

Bugman!!! Wuzzzzz up bro..... :D

Awwwww thank ya buddy... :friends: One of these days we will definitely tee it up! :golf2:

Jerkies er Bugman was hilarious today with his adventures with the insects. He was fighting a hornet looking creature as early as the second green. The thing looked like one of those hueys we use to have in Nam. :bulgy-eyes: Ole Jerkie was dancing around like a man being chased by a grizzly bear. :shock: He finally scared the creature off long enough to make his putt. He ran into a similar looking buzzard a couple holes later. This time he got to dancing like he was trying out for a new edition of Saturday night fever. :bananadance: He looked like a young John Travolta cutting a rug. The next thing I see is he was acting like a sperm whale trying to suck down a herd of nat looking bugs flying around that looked like a moving cloud. :bulgy-eyes: The nats or what ever the heck they were finally left him alone. We tee up on #10 and he hits this killer drive on the dog leg left hole in perfect condition way out in the fairway. About that time we saw a single and we invited him to join us . While he was teeing up we were waiting by Nathan's ball and he was telling me about almost being hit by a golf ball a while back. I noticed he was kind of dancing around like he had a case of bad jock itch. :embarrassed: The next thing I know he was throwing his shoes off and acting all crazy and stuff. He had found him a mound of fire ants. Ole jerkie moves pretty good with a nest of fire ants crawling up his legs/shorts. :D

Right then and there I told him he had to change his name to Bugman. :thumb: Nathan I bet if you ask one of the admins real sweet like they will change ya name for ya. :good:

Nathan and I had a great time out there today! We played some pretty damn good golf in spurts too. :bomb:
Bugman is going to play with a bottle of hornet spray on his hip when he plays in GA again. If I put a bug swatter in my bag does that count as a club? :) played some decent golf when I wasn't fearing for my life.

Bugman is going to play with a bottle of hornet spray on his hip when he plays in GA again. If I put a bug swatter in my bag does that count as a club? :) played some decent golf when I wasn't fearing for my life.

Bring ya swatter back anytime buddy! I don't know why you were nervous about golfing with anyone with that golf swing. Seriously you were striking that ball well! Now go and get that name changed properly :D

Its official. Name changed to bugman. Jerkies is officially retired from the game but bugman is excited to take over.

Glad you had a good round with OG Bugman. I've had the opportunity to play with a few THP'ers and it's been some of the most relaxed golf I've ever played. Not a judgmental or impatient individual in the whole lot. The key, for me, is maintaining my tempo. Put a good, easy swing on the ball and great things will happen.

As for the bugs ... yeah, welcome to the South.

OG was on my list of people to tee it up with if I ever made it over that side of the pond, but if the bugs are really that bad I might just have to re-think that idea :D

Glad to hear you had a good time Bugman and don't let OG fool ya, he can run with the good players from what I hear

This thread is awesome hahaha, OG's story about how you got your name had me howling! OG is as good as they come, I had a blast playing with him in Orlando, even if I wasn't exactly at the top of my game either!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

OG is a good guy and id play with him anyday of the week. Especially now that I realize that he is just a crazy dude with a heck of a golf game. Great knowledge of the game and course. When I say course knowledge, im taking about rolls and placement but he sucks at telling you where not to stand, especially when on a fire ant bed.

Back