What would you shoot off the ladies tee?

MD easily destroyed us in Tampa that time too. It wasn't even a fair fight.

Sure did and frankly we could have moved up to any tee and the results would have been the same.

10 shot swing seem a little much, but I don't know if it's too crazy...over 18 holes. A lot of course that I have played don't have the forward tees near 500 yards for par 5's. Most golfers, even those with high handicaps, should be able to get home in 2 shots as long as the hole is around 450 yards. Right? So one would think that most of the Par 4's are not much more than around 350-300 yards. While most golfers won't be able to driver the greens on these, the should have a better shot at getting home in two shots and making a par.

I probably hit a green that's 450 yards away in 2 shots about 2% of the time. And that might be high.

Seeing claims of a 10 stroke difference is rather interesting. Moving ahead that much is going to take a bogey golfer and make them a single digit? Interesting. Very interesting.

Mine was just a guess but I based it off the following assumptions:

1. I would be bagging my driver and teeing off exclusively with hybrids and irons, which for me leads to more fairways hit. I've been struggling with a bit of a slice with my driver that doesn't happen with the other clubs off the tee.

2. I'd be left with distances similar or closer than "normal" but with mostly better lies. Better chances to get on the green in regulation.

3. My short game has bailed me out of bad scores left and right all year long. That won't be affected by the change in tee box.

So when I think of 18 holes at my home course, my guess is that at least on 10 of those I would be in a better position for my second shot than I would right now with my driver. If I am not having to "take my medicine" for a bad drive, then that's at least 4-5 strokes saved there. Then add in that instead of 5-7s for a second shot it might be anywhere from 7i or lower for second shots. I should be able to get a few more GIR than usual with that. Assuming a normal putting day for me, that is a stroke for each GIR (I average right around 2.0 putts/hole a round). That's how I get to 10 shots.

I could be completely wrong. I am willing to give it a try and see though.

I've played the forward tees before. In relation to my score from my normal white tees, I've seen no difference significant difference in scoring. Maybe a shot or two, but as well all know, golf changes everyday, so it's impossible to conclude a difference in tee scoring.

Never done it, maybe I should try it sometime though.

I'm guessing it would shave around 10 - 12 strokes.

Seeing claims of a 10 stroke difference is rather interesting. Moving ahead that much is going to take a bogey golfer and make them a single digit? Interesting. Very interesting.

I think it depends on where that person's biggest struggle is. If it's from short shots (pitches and chips) and putts, then it probably wouldn't shave but a few strokes.

I feel that your scores wouldn't change dramatically due to the fact that your new yardages would be off making it awkward at times.
Maybe on the par 3's you would score slightly better being closer.

I am not sure I agree with that. You are assuming they would be using driver off the tee. With the shorter holes chances are they'd be using easier to control clubs off the tee, and leaving distances that still would make reaching a par 5 manageable.

Now if they are going to stick with driver and try and drive all the greens they can, then I agree with your assessment.

Take the driver out of the bag and the above 7 handicapper will still be about the same. I watch a lot of amateur golf. I spend more time watching amateur golf than I do myself playing. On average I watch more than 24 hours of live in person golf a week. If you can't shoot an 80 from middle tees with a driver you can't do it from the forward tees without a driver.

Anyone can say how they feel about it. That's what makes things interesting that we don't all agree. I do have to bursts some bubbles here. I use a hybrid to tee off. I average 200 off the tee. I'm a short hitter but accurate. As witness I have two other golfers with me when I play. This year they both watched me shoot 45 10 over from the back tee, 38 3 over from the middle, and even par 35 from the forward tee. As you can see for me at least the real score jump happens between the back and middle tee. I also had a club pro verify that I post all of my scores with a 5 club set. Nothing is impossible except for me hitting a driver. Or hitting it 300 yards I will never be able to do that either lol.

Maybe a couple of strokes better......Maybe not though. Even though I'm a short hitter, my problems don't result from distance off the tee, but rather the distance between my ears.

JM

Excellent point!

Really it depends on the strengths of your game. I've played courses that, for me, were more difficult from one of the shorter tees than than when I moved back. At that time I had my driving down but struggled with my approach and my fairway woods. From the shorter tee box, I couldn't always use my driver and I struggled.

Edit: I have never played from the "women's" or senior tee though. Maybe I should. :act-up:

I probably hit a green that's 450 yards away in 2 shots about 2% of the time. And that might be high.

I would have guessed better than 2%. We are talking about hitting a tee shot, what...250? Then following up with a 200 yard shot. You think you could only hit the green 2 out of 100 shots from 200 yards?

I would have guessed better than 2%. We are talking about hitting a tee shot, what...250? Then following up with a 200 yard shot. You think you could only hit the green 2 out of 100 shots from 200 yards?

Most amateurs dont hit their tee shots 250 yards on average. They do online, but not out of ill will or being deceitful, people just do not know how far they hit the ball.

I would say that I only hit a tee ball 250 yards a couple of times a week. So for me I would be hitting a fw in to that green from 220 most times.

To be accurate from 450 yards, it takes me three shots. A drive, a 5i, and then a well placed 9i, PW or 50* wedge. I'm definitely not long (I get excited when I hit 220), and most people I play with are maybe 10-15 yards ahead of me. Only a few people I have played with can put themselves 50 yards ahead of me, and most of them are from THP.

I imagine people would play slightly better or even with what they currently play, but unless they played from the front tee's often, they wouldn't see huge drops. It's been my experience that people especially need short game work, and that would hinder them regardless of what tee's they played.

Last edited:
I've done it a handful of times and I'm usually 3-5 strokes better. My tee game is the worst part of my game so having an iron in my hand the whole time makes a big difference. I seriously doubt anyone is going to shave 10+ strokes by moving up tees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably 4-8 worse cause I wouldn't play smart. Greens would be too tempting. Will have to give it a go sometime.

It would definitely change which clubs I hit. I would guess in the 70s? Not sure though.

Take the driver out of the bag and the above 7 handicapper will still be about the same. I watch a lot of amateur golf. I spend more time watching amateur golf than I do myself playing. On average I watch more than 24 hours of live in person golf a week. If you can't shoot an 80 from middle tees with a driver you can't do it from the forward tees without a driver.

As a 15 I will prove one of us correct in the near future!

To be accurate from 450 yards, it takes me three shots. A drive, a 5i, and then a well placed 9i, PW or 50* wedge. I'm definitely not long (I get excited when I hit 220), and most people I play with are maybe 10-15 yards ahead of me. Only a few people I have played with can put themselves 50 yards ahead of me, and most of them are from THP.

I imagine people would play slightly better or even with what they currently play, but unless they played from the front tee's often, they wouldn't see huge drops. It's been my experience that people especially need short game work, and that would hinder them regardless of what tee's they played.

That's kinda what I'm thinking, too. My biggest source of heartache is inaccurate iron shots. So while I could find more fairways pull 4-wood or 3 H off the tee, it doesn't matter if that only serves to get to that 100-130 mark, where I still have to hopefully not hook my approach shot.

The game, as I've seen it, mostly eats peoples' lunches inside 100 yards. So while it would be nice to get out the driver and occasionally knock it very close to the green, until I'm actually on the putting surface all manner of scores are still out there for me to get.

Definitely. I've also heard people claim they would make nearly all their shots if they used a women's regulation size basketball or would crush a fast pitch softball. I have athletic daughters and feel like I have heard all the stupid sexist sports stereotypes. Not all the women I have played golf with have used the red "women's" tee box. Some have played from the whites and the blues (or appropriate equivalent).

Honestly, at the courses I play at? Maybe a few strokes, and maybe a 1-2 on the courses that really shorten par 5s or make them a par 6 from the women's tees. To be honest, most of the courses I play don't really shorten the course a whole lot for the ladies. 10 yards on a 375 yard par 4 doesn't really do a whole lot. That's well within the variance of my drives.

If anything, on some holes it might cost me a stroke or two if I pull driver because I'd be in that weird 40-50 yard approach distance, which is basically my kryptonite.

What would you shoot off the ladies tee?

So I am trying to think how I'm going to do this challenge. Based on my capability to play, I can do one of two things. First I could play 18 holes from the red tees. Second I could play nine holes playing two balls one from the blue tees ( the back tees at my course ) and one from the red tees for comparison of how I am shooting that same day from each Teebox.

Like I said before, my guess of 10 strokes was just that – I guess. If it turns out that I only shave a couple of strokes off, so be it.

Thoughts?

Why not invite some THPers and go to a course that is not well known. Since most attribute the difference from a distance stand point, make it purely about distance. Play the tees with THPers you would normally play for 9 and then the forward tees for 9 instead of playing the back 9. The course will oblige I am sure based on the situation.

Getting the area THPers to all get on the same schedule around here is like herding cats, but that's a good idea! When you say "not well known Course " do you mean a course that we haven't played before as in not known to us? Or a Course that is not very popular and therefore not very busy?

Back