What would you shoot off the ladies tee?

I think I would shoot quite a bit better being as it would keep driver out of my hands, which is what costs me the most strokes by far. I may have to try it sometime for kicks.

It's sad that we couldn't just do a "THP red tee challenge" and rely on the everyone's reported scores.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I think for single digit HCP or lower there wouldn't be that big of a difference because that group is going to be much better hitting long irons in play and hitting shorter irons on the green from moderate distance. Where I think the biggest score differentials would come into play is for the 12-16 type player who might struggle on longer par 3s and 4s from the white or blue tees. I know if I wasn't going to have to tee off from more than 130 yards or so from any par 3 I'd probably never miss a green and get a few birdies along the way. Being able to drive par 4s and get to par 5s in 2 is also a game changer for scoring.

If I thought I could talk some guys into doing it, I would. I think it would be loads of fun.

I would cringe a little at the occasional 70yd tee shot though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have played from the forward (ladies) tees several time with my wife but I did not hit my driver or 3W. This is a great way for me to practice my long irons and short game. On the other hand, I was once paired up with two mature ladies (in their 50's) and they played with me from the white tees (6200 yards)................they both kicked my a**!

I've never done it, but I think I'd score 2 or 3 shots better just due to par 5's.

57 at worst

I never though about it, but would say 60 ish....
Maybe lower. It would be fun to try one day to see.

Because Internet golfers.

I have found THPers to be, as a whole, a reliable and trustworthy group. If we made it a challenge, I have no doubt the overwhelming majority would report reliable scores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would think that I could break Par, even break 70. But if I wasn't putting well it probably wouldn't matter.

I presume the shorter distance would make all Par 5s reachable in two. Shorter Par 4s probably wouldn't help very much.

I thought about this today, and for my course...Maybe 4 strokes. That's based on 2 par 5s I could reach on a good day, one dogleg I could reach on a good day, and the final hole turning into a 252y par 4 straight away.
So, I checked the scorecard for giggles. Rating from the whites (standard men's tees) - 67. Men's rating from the reds? 65. I mess up one par 5, don't reach the dogleg, and there it is. 2 strokes. Sort of deflating, but thinking about our layout, being closer just means less club off the tee in a lot of spots. I'd still be getting on in regulation almost everywhere, sometimes with one fewer club, but in general I'm hitting hybrid or iron instead of driver off the tee from the reds. Wouldn't be that profound an effect.

I have found THPers to be, as a whole, a reliable and trustworthy group. If we made it a challenge, I have no doubt the overwhelming majority would report reliable scores.

I would hope, but that's also why JB mentioned setting up a real event to test the theory.

Let's do it. The THP Red Tee Challenge 2014. Give everybody a month to play from the red tees and report the stats - score, what they normally hit from their regular tees, slope, par etc. Have some fun with it.

I would shoot only slightly better than I do now. Distance is not an issue for me as much as my swing inconsistencies and bone head mistakes.

I would hope, but that's also why JB mentioned setting up a real event to test the theory.

Let's do it. The THP Red Tee Challenge 2014. Give everybody a month to play from the red tees and report the stats - score, what they normally hit from their regular tees, slope, par etc. Have some fun with it.

I will gladly do it with you one weekend.

I will gladly do it with you one weekend.

I'd love to do it.

My initial reaction was thinking that I would shoot much lower. But after reading some thoughts on the other side of it, I think that was just macho thinking. I think 5 strokes better is reasonable, especially considering the state of my game.

I'd love to do it.

My initial reaction was thinking that I would shoot much lower. But after reading some thoughts on the other side of it, I think that was just macho thinking. I think 5 strokes better is reasonable, especially considering the state of my game.

I recently played a course that was about 1000 yards shorter than I normally play. I only shot 4 strokes better. I tried to play it safe do nothing stupid that would blow my score up like going for every green and hit the ball pretty darn well. Well enough that in my mind I may have shot the same thing if I was back at my normal tees.

Now I normally don't use a driver much from 6400-6500 yards even so I may be in the minority in how little less distance affected me but I clubbed down off the tee every time to leave myself a comfortable distance into greens. I hit a few 7 irons off the tee just to leave me at my normal distance in.

Sounds like you're a much longer hitter than I. I normally play short local courses. Driver is 250-260 when I hit it well. Long courses eat my lunch because I'm left with long irons into greens.

I doubt Josh suggested it as a real event because THPers can't be trusted to do this on their own. There have been events where the two nines have been played from different tee's, I wouldn't be surprised at some future event that the front tees come into play.

I am playing on Friday with family (doubt they will want to do this experiment as a few of them only play once or twice a year), but if I can get out on Saturday to play nine (or more likely next week some time) I plan on doing this. Since I don't bomb it, there is only a couple of par 4s where I will need to club down ... if my short game is on, I hope I can shoot low but I imagine I won't see a huge difference. Maybe two or three stokes maximum.

Haven't read the responses, but I've done it before testing irons. Left driver at home. Score was lower, but I don't think it was a huge difference.

Sounds like you're a much longer hitter than I. I normally play short local courses. Driver is 250-260 when I hit it well. Long courses eat my lunch because I'm left with long irons into greens.

More just trying to play it safe and stay in the fairway. It is a much easier game from the fairway even if I am back a little farther than normal.

Don't think I would shoot any better, new dangers would be in play with driver that aren't reachable from the usual whites, so I would probably drop the driver on plenty of holes and end up hitting similar, maybe closer but still similar approaches and as others jave said putting doesn't change from any tee so I don't think the tee would affect my score unless I was really grooving the driver in warm-ups and dominated with it

Looking at my home course the reds will play anywhere from 1500-1800 yards shorter than the back tees for 18. The individual 9s vary from 700-1000 yards shorter each.

Is this a normal difference between front and back tees? The back tees are between 6000-6200 yards depending on what 9s you put together.

I think I'm going to try and squeeze in a round this week, I'll try it from the front tees and report back with how I did. It'll be on a course I'm familiar with though so I can use my average round out there as my comparable.

Hypothesis going in: Unless the putter is warmed up, I'll have a higher amount of putts for the day. My GIR and fairway will be noticeably higher than normal.

Capt.dru and I are about to take this on at our "home" course. Last 4 scores have been 82, 84, 86, 83. All from the whites.

Back