Ball selection based on par rating?

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
So I've been doing a lot of this lately and wondering if I'm actually hampering my game or not. I have certainly had people make comments to me about this practice, and it's finally got me thinking about it.

In order to get a bit more distance on my driver, woods, and irons I've been playing the SuperSoft. It definitely rolls more than a urethane ball (at least on full iron shots), but I'm willing to live with it because I'm probably not good enough to really take advantage of a urethane ball anyways. However, on most par 3's I pull out the Project (a)* and I think they help me stay on the green, especially if I do a good job of hitting down on them and get the required height needed. I know I'm short on most other shots with them, but I feel confident when I hit them with my higher lofted irons.

Is the confidence boost enough to keep up with the practice, or am I actually hurting my game by changing between these two balls? I can't see it being that much of a hindrance to my game, but perhaps I am overlooking something.

*Thanks TM and THP for letting me review them!

If your technique gives you more confidence, I'd continue with it.

Most of the golfers I play with, me included, just reach into our golf bags and play with whatever ball(s) comes out. We usually keep 2 or 3 different brands of "like" performing golf balls in our bags.

I'd try to stick with one ball for the most part. I went through a live Bridgestone fitting a couple of years ago and it really opened my eyes. At the time the choice for me was the B330RX and I played great with it but I found that the e6 was longer off the tee and for me played about the same on approach shots with the new "v" grooved clubs.

Right now, I'm playing the Super Soft as well, for a couple of reasons. For me it is a little longer than the e6 but not by much and I like it around the green and with the putter. Great ball for the price.

You can do a online Bridgestone fitting at their website and you can check most of the ball makers sites to see if they have any live fittings coming up near you.

Always stick with one ball. All balls react different I.E. Supersoft more distance urethane balls more spin. I would recommend a ball with more spin. You score in this game from 125 and in, no matter your skill level.

Technically - maybe only if you are keeping a handicap - you are supposed to play the same ball all round so I don't know about changing mid round. That aside I am on the camp that feels categories of balls play fundamentally the same so I don't mind playing almost any ball in that group (find the Golf magazine chart which shows driver and wedge spin rates).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically - maybe only if you are keeping a handicap - you are supposed to play the same ball all round so I don't know about changing mid round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sure about that?

You sure about that?
Nope. In fact it appears I'm wrong:

Rule 15-1
Changing golf balls during a hole or a stipulated round

When changing balls, the player is permitted to substitute a ball of another brand or type unless the Committee has adopted the One Ball Condition of Competition (see Appendix I; Part C; Section 1c). This optional condition (usually referred to as ‘The One Ball Rule’) is generally adopted only in events that are limited to professional golfers or highly-skilled amateur golfers. Generally, this condition of competition is not adopted in club-level competitions.

Nope. In fact it appears I'm wrong:

Rule 15-1
Changing golf balls during a hole or a stipulated round

When changing balls, the player is permitted to substitute a ball of another brand or type unless the Committee has adopted the One Ball Condition of Competition (see Appendix I; Part C; Section 1c). This optional condition (usually referred to as ‘The One Ball Rule’) is generally adopted only in events that are limited to professional golfers or highly-skilled amateur golfers. Generally, this condition of competition is not adopted in club-level competitions.

Wow I vaguely remember this being the complete opposite back way back when (70s or 80s). Knowing this will be helpful and once again THP comes through! Last time I played was an outing with my brother on 3 out of state courses I've never been on. I pre-scouted the scorecards on each before I left, specifically to see if I any set up better for my 'longer' ball. Played two of those courses with my control ball one with the long one. Talk about being clueless. Gotta re read the rules.

Doesn't matter what ball I play with. If it's marked a range ball I'll even play with them. I've got a long ways to improve my game before it comes down to a particular ball to use. When I start to concern myself over what ball to use the most I'll be a really good golfer at that point.

If it works for you, go for it. I use the same ballot whenever I play, unless I am testing a new one, then I will go to my friend's course and play two balls so I can compare them.

I switch alot between holes. i am still trying to figure out what ball is my favorite right around the time the mfg discontinues that model. And how is anyone getting any distance out of the supersoft? it was far shorter than any ball i have ever hit.

I switch alot between holes. i am still trying to figure out what ball is my favorite right around the time the mfg discontinues that model. And how is anyone getting any distance out of the supersoft? it was far shorter than any ball i have ever hit.
Could be swing speed. If you have a high swing speed, I think you'll overcompress the ball and see decreased performance. I have a slow swing speed, so the low compression helps me.

I always try to stick with the same type of ball throughout my round. I play the Z Star yellow (old model). If I take a second shot off the tee and I use a v1x or something like that, I definitely notice a distance gap between the shots on similarly struck hits. I just want to keep as many variables the same as my swing is faulty enough.

I always start my rounds with the same ball (ProV1x). If I happen to lose that ball, I'll just play any used ball I have for the rest of the round.

However, I do keep an e6 in my bag at all times, they seem to just fly off the club. Good to keep one of those in the bag for the scrambles!

It's more of a confidence thing would be my guess, and I would stick with whatever gives you confidence. I play different balls for different reasons. If the fairways are soft and wet, I go to more of a distance ball or a 330-RXS which launches higher for me than my ProV1. If it is windy or firmer, I go ProV1 to get more spin around the greens, or get a lower flight to get through the wind better.

~Rock

Back