TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

I popped into the big box store that's attached to the range I go to and as usual, had a look in the trade in section for anything good.
It was interesting to me that they had 10 used drivers, and 5 of them were SLDR
I actually saw the same thing last time I was in GG, there was 4 drivers and 3 were sldr. Seriously not trying to say anything negative about them, just stating that I saw some as well.

Yeah, not passing judgement, just found it interesting. Multitude of reasons for trading in obviously.
There's usually a fair spread of brands and mix of ages, haven't seen that many of the same brand and relatively new before.

I'm sure for every one traded, there's dozens of happy owners, it's not like TM make and sell garbage.

Do we know if those drivers which were traded in , weren't brought back to loft up? Sales or popularity aren't the reasons I'm using/loving the club.......I hit it last year indoors when it first came out but didn't quite understand the club and its concept. ......I was enamoured by Callaway and the claims of game changer with BB......intrigued by covert tour 2 .........but also open minded to any Lefty offering for 2014.......tried Ping i25, g25, bio cell and plus (almost bought) Wilson , Cleveland. ......ended up going covert tour 2 but after one session and a round realized that I couldn't maneuver my ball like I wanted to....primarily the draw....very solid offering mind you I couldn't get the draw.

Saw pictures of the WHITE SLDR and was immediately smitten. ......sent ct2 back , 12* sldr showed up and from the first swing a match made in heaven. ..........the high draw is back! With a small fade available.

I do grip down on my club as I don't care for drivers longer than 45". 44 driver swings and missed one fairway total plus added height and 15yrs total distance I feel........oh I also had jetspeed for a spell but into the wind was serious trouble (too much spin) .

No one club is for everyone but we gotta stop telling those who have success with ANY club that it can't be true due to our lack of success.

I guess I'm in the minority because I always looked forward to THP staff members input in any review. Mostly because they've hit the most equipment out there and can give good info on whatever it is I'm researching. When I look for any equipment info, I'm mostly looking for comparisons because to me that's easier to form an opinion on something. Especially drivers.

I popped into the big box store that's attached to the range I go to and as usual, had a look in the trade in section for anything good.
With as many were sold i would expect to see some in the trade in bin it has also been out almost a year

I can't say I mind that more of these are popping up in the trade in section. After demoing this club the other day I am going to keep my eyes open for a good deal.

Similar to our golf shop here. The owner says it has to do with TM's recent offer to try it free for 30 days and return it. A certain number of folks were going to take advantage of that offer with zero intent to ever buy the $400 driver. Good deals to be had.

Last edited:
Well, I had an attempt of a fitting for the SLDR driver and 3 wood today with the TM Performance Lab. It was horrible though.

The fitting system uses cameras and sensors to track your swing. My iron fitting with them a few weeks ago showed that I pretty close to exactly on the correct plane for the 7 iron, was coming from the inside, and was swinging fast between 92-95 mph. I hit the SLDR 7i with KBS Tour X-flex shaft 180 yards carry, with my longest being 196 yards total distance and 7 yards offline.

So today, the fitter was shocked at how different (poorly) I swing my driver. I've been able to game my miss tendencies to keep the ball in the fairway, but usually maxing my distance out at around 250. I play a 9.5 degree head with an X-stiff shaft that's 72 grams. I found out that I tend to cast the club early in my downswing, forcing me off a good plane started in the backswing and over the top. This combined with my tendency to not close the face resulted in a ton of shots that had launch angles of 20-24 degrees and a ton of spin even with the SLDR 460 set at 9.5 degrees.

My max speed on the monitor today was 101 mph. The fitter said that it's probably faster, but the monitor measures ball speed and calculates swing speed. So if you hit off-center and get poor ball speed then the monitor will show slower swing speeds. The fitter also said that with my 7 iron swing speed that I should be swinging the driver 110 mph or more. He said that I'm lucky to get the 101 mph with the casting because it's just me muscling the club to make up for the lack of power in the swing itself, and that I'm not letting the shaft do any of the work for me. The low torque X-stiff shaft and 9.5 degree head works somewhat for me because it's fighting my swing faults. The black tie 7m3 in X-stiff worked best for me and brought the launch angles back down to 12-15 degrees and when close to straight allowed for distances of up to 248 today. The casting and coming OTT also lead to a lot of heel shots that add to the OTT and open club face to send shots 40 yards offline and making the total distance barely over 200 (and not anywhere that would be playable on the course).

We stopped pretty quick into the fitting, because he suggested rescheduling in several months. His prescription was to spend a lot of my training time/lessons with the driver so that he could fit me properly and not fit my faults. He said that the 9.5 head with 7m3 X would work now to a degree, but they may be less than ideal and cost me distance in the future if I take time to improve my swing.

I wasn't charged and was definitely happy with the fitter and the knowledge I picked up. I've only had one full driver lesson with my current instructor and didn't work on it a whole lot in the 12 lessons with the last instructor (maybe 1 time?). I'm going to work on his suggestions with the driver I have right now and hopefully will be able to go back with better performance in a few months.

I was on the verge of trading mine in after hitting the G25 against the SLDR on the monitor at the range. Nearly a 15 yard difference with more controllability with the Ping. But I ended up keeping the SLDR as it has been good to me and picked up the G25 as well. Two awesome products.

Tapping Away

I was on the verge of trading mine in after hitting the G25 against the SLDR on the monitor at the range. Nearly a 15 yard difference with more controllability with the Ping. But I ended up keeping the SLDR as it has been good to me and picked up the G25 as well. Two awesome products.

Tapping Away
Ok, 15 yards and more control with the Ping? I'd say that SLDR isn't long for your bag. That would be an easy choice for me. As much as I'd like a certain driver to work for me, if I find better performance with something else it's going in the bag.

Ok, 15 yards and more control with the Ping? I'd say that SLDR isn't long for your bag. That would be an easy choice for me. As much as I'd like a certain driver to work for me, if I find better performance with something else it's going in the bag.

Well. I am able to hit the SLDR straight and a hard fade no drawing that one for me at all. But the Ping I can draw and fade. The fitter explained something to me that I guess I never paid attention too and that was the fact that SLDR pretty much kills any type spin therefore eliminating fade for an average Joe like myself. Ball speed with the SLDR was right at 160 and 165 with the Ping. Could have been a mental block too for simply wanting something to be different.

Tapping Away

Well. I am able to hit the SLDR straight and a hard fade no drawing that one for me at all. But the Ping I can draw and fade. The fitter explained something to me that I guess I never paid attention too and that was the fact that SLDR pretty much kills any type spin therefore eliminating fade for an average Joe like myself. Ball speed with the SLDR was right at 160 and 165 with the Ping. Could have been a mental block too for simply wanting something to be different.

Tapping Away

The SLDR kills back spin. Which in theory should make lateral movement more prevalent. I think. I dunno. I haven't seen a ton of side spin either with my SLDR.

Yeah it would be an easy choice for me too, 15 yds and more control? Yes Please!. Gohead214's post is yet another example of just how differently clubs perform with different swings though. I tested G25 several times and while I absolutely loved how it felt and flew straight and I almost couldn't miss the center of the clubface, it just didn't go anywhere for me. High and soft spinners that fell straight down out of the sky. Probably the shortest new driver I hit (yet I was drilling the sweetspot).

The SLDR kills back spin. Which in theory should make lateral movement more prevalent. I think. I dunno. I haven't seen a ton of side spin either with my SLDR.

And man when I say I knew it killed spin I didn't realize how drastic it was. The way it was explained to me was as if to say stop trying to hit a draw with the SLDR. Which ended up being the results on the trackman.

Tapping Away

TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

Yeah it would be an easy choice for me too, 15 yds and more control? Yes Please!. Gohead214's post is yet another example of just how differently clubs perform with different swings though. I tested G25 several times and while I absolutely loved how it felt and flew straight and I almost couldn't miss the center of the clubface, it just didn't go anywhere for me. High and soft spinners that fell straight down out of the sky. Probably the shortest new driver I hit (yet I was drilling the sweetspot).

I saw this also until he switched me from the 10 head turned up one to the 8.5 head turned up one and my trajectory ended up looking just like the chart on the fitting cart. The SLDR however was the right trajectory but always straight only. Or the Hard fade.

Tapping Away

Last edited:
I saw this also until he switched me from the 10 head turned up one to the 8.5 head turned up one and my trajectory ended up looking just like the chart on the fitting cart. The SLDR however was the right trajectory but always straight only. Or the Hard fade.

Tapping Away
The G25 I was hitting regularly was a 9.5 turned down to 9.0. Another time (at a demo day) the rep was tuning in I25's for me and at one point when I handed him the club to make an adjustment he tried a G25 head instead (unsure what loft?). Two or three swing later he was like, "Well that sure isn't going to work".

Anyone here playing the SLDR move from an R1 with a lower spin shaft like the black tie? I'm curious to see what kind if differences you saw.

I have gone the other way. Didn't turn out well in the SLDR.

I saw your thread about it. Hopefully you find something better for your game.

The R1 is that "special something". Worked for me perfectly so far. Taking it out tonight for a "test 9"

Anyone here playing the SLDR move from an R1 with a lower spin shaft like the black tie? I'm curious to see what kind if differences you saw.

Yes i played an R1 with a 7m3 in it set down to 9* with the SLDR i add loft and am using a slightly higher spin shaft the SLDR with the Black Tie is just to low spining for me

Yes i played an R1 with a 7m3 in it set down to 9* with the SLDR i add loft and am using a slightly higher spin shaft the SLDR with the Black Tie is just to low spining for me

I figure in the sldr I would certainly be looking for a different shaft, something in the low-mid to mid launch and spin range. What kind of differences do you see with your current setup compared to the R1 7m3 combo?

I figure in the sldr I would certainly be looking for a different shaft, something in the low-mid to mid launch and spin range. What kind of differences do you see with your current setup compared to the R1 7m3 combo?
I get a little higher ball flight with more carry and roll plus the feel of the shaft is an improvement the ball also seems less effected by the wind. The ATX Tour Green i am using is a low mid spin and launch and seems to work will on my SLDR

I've been gaming this driver all season and it continues to be clutch for me. I've never hit more fairways in my life and the distance increase has helped improve my g.i.r. Teeing the ball high, moving the sliding weight directly behind the sweet spot, and lowering my right shoulder just below my left shoulder at address has really unlocked the distance. This will likely be my last post in this thread as I'm sounding like a broken record.

Played a very good round with it today, at least by my standards: 72. But my favorite part is that none of my friends can hit an SLDR driver worth a damn and I blow by their drives when they hit their new 2014 Callaway and Cobra drivers. The combination of the 460cc head and TP shaft has been perfect for me. I wish all fellow SLDR driver users the best of luck the rest of the way.

Back